$Freeroll NLHE: Should i have played my KQ?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: Should i have played my KQ?

Stacks:
* SB with 1435
* BB with 2705
* UTG with 2205
* MP1 with 835
* MP2 with 3665
* CO with 1000
* BTN with 3095

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 25/50
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to BTN:K♣ Q♥
* * Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
* * 1 players fold.
* * MP1 calls [50]
* * 1 players fold.
* * CO raises 150 to 200
* * Hero calls [200]
* * 1 players fold.
* * BB calls [150]
* * MP1 raises 635 to 835 [ all-in ]
* * 3 players fold.
* * Uncalled bet (635) returned to MP1
* * MP1 collected 825 from pot
* * MP1: doesn't show hand
* * Total folds this street: 6

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Was I correct to fold here? The guy who raised all-in's stats(after only about 25 hands or so) were 38/4 and the BBs was 48/4. i figured that the BB had to have a pretty decent hand to call the raise from the cutoff guy so if I folded i could at least see what the all-in had.

CrossCrucificio

CrossCrucificio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I can't tell. what was your chip stack? I am going to assume from what I read here that you were the Button? Assuming that. You started out with 3095 chips. Ater all the blind calls and raise calls and with the re-raise all-in the pot is roughly around 1500 ? That would be nearly 50% of your chip stack. I would say you made a correct fold.

Z

Zash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes if its just a freeroll and early, it is better to get lucky than me good. I'm always looking for situations where i have a marginal hand all in preflop against a player in which you have covered, since it is very hard to get top 27 (on full tilt).

M

mecoble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if ur ever asking should i have played kq the answer will always be no. u could have tried a resteal from cutoff but i dont like just calling. but u ended up making the correct fold

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would think in a freeroll the KQo is probably better than what ever he's raising with. but as you no from this hand people like to just shove chips in the pot w/a wide range of hands. in the begining of a freeroll i like to play tight. so if it were me here i would probably fold here. if however i was playing here for a while and know the blinds were pretty tight and the raiser was fairly loose i may just shove here. but again w/no real reads here i most likely fold.

D

dtamburin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have two opinions, because it is a freeroll, if I really wanted to play this tourney, I'd definitely fold here. I put him on mid to high pocket pair or AX (Something decent).
However I also would consider Zash's advice, if you don't really care about getting booted from the freeroll and you want to try and build yourself a decent stack by getting lucky early, I'd play. There is always another freeroll later in the day :)

G

GrumpyB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, I've only just switched from cash games to tournies, so I've no idea what I am doing, and I'm a horrid cally fishy station too - which is probably why I'd find it very hard to fold here (although I'd be likely to fold the KQo pre-flop here).

But now we've got to where we are, and if I've counted it right, there is 1260 on offer in the pot and it's just 635 more to call.

Yes, we are squeezed between the EP limp-reraiser and the BB, and if BB does call or raise I'll be kicking the cat - but I just don't think that's too likely. A strong hand would want to cut down the number of players pre-, especially playing the rest of the hand out of position.

And so with pot odd of 1260/635 we only need about 33% equity for the call to be profitable. That makes KQ a 'go' against any pair JJ or less (we'd have 43%) or against any Ace-rag (42%).

It's even not that bad against QQ (31%) and only slightly sub-optimal against AK or AQ (26%).

Yep, it's a dog against AA (13%) and even worse against KK (9.3%) - so the cat would be out seeking the cat flap again. But what about the entertainment value of calling with KQ, villian turns over KK, and then we make the unlikely straight?

"How the **** could you call with that ****ing **** hand you ****ing fish!"

One response like that is worth more than the nine times we lose. Isn't that why we play freerolls?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, it wasn't like a real freeroll. it was a tournament with play money so play was somewhat normal compared to a freeroll