$Freeroll NLHE MTT: ZOOM tourney, HU at the final table

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I'm sorry but I cannot convert this into something more easy to read on Flopturnriver, guess im doing a rookie mistake, but anyway here is my question: Was it a bad play of me here? When playing HU I'm usually happy to call shoves regardless of stack sizes with AK, but since there was 60$ first prize and 40$ for runner up, maybe I should have put a little more thought into it. What do you say?

pokerstars Hand #131944347946: Zoom Tournament #1166267788, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level XV (1000/2000) - 2015/03/12 22:38:33 CET [2015/03/12 17:38:33 ET]
Table '1166267788 55' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: BoddJonar (97521 in chips)
Seat 4: yang fu king (92979 in chips)
BoddJonar: posts the ante 200
yang fu king: posts the ante 200
yang fu king: posts small blind 1000
BoddJonar: posts big blind 2000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BoddJonar [Ac Kd]
yang fu king: calls 1000
BoddJonar: raises 2000 to 4000
yang fu king: raises 88779 to 92779 and is all-in
BoddJonar: calls 88779
*** FLOP *** [Jc Ts Td]
*** TURN *** [Jc Ts Td] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [Jc Ts Td 3d] [7d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BoddJonar: shows [Ac Kd] (a pair of Tens)
yang fu king: shows [Qc Jd] (two pair, Jacks and Tens)
yang fu king collected 185958 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 185958 | Rake 0
Board [Jc Ts Td 3d 7d]
Seat 2: BoddJonar (big blind) showed [Ac Kd] and lost with a pair of Tens
Seat 4: yang fu king (button) (small blind) showed [Qc Jd] and won (185958) with two pair, Jacks and Tens

Again sorry for the format!

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is the first hands in HU, and you do not know nothing about villain, how often he goes all-in with big stack, you can fold here, because you have still 42bb is playable stack..

But I would have played call here, because AKo very strong hand for HU, and coinfllip will be fine, also sometime villain can have hands like AJ+ KQ or suited connectors...So call not be a mistake and always will be very profitable...

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is the first hands in HU, and you do not know nothing about villain, how often he goes all-in with big stack, you can fold here, because you have still 42bb is playable stack..

But I would have played call here, because AKo very strong hand for HU, and coinfllip will be fine, also sometime villain can have hands like AJ+ KQ or suited connectors...So call not be a mistake and always very profitable...

It was fifth or seventh hand, I can't recall. He had made some outrageous calls and won most pots at the final table with flips so I was certain I was ahead.
In the long run I have an edge on him, but for specific tournaments I need to know if I should be more careful or simply take the 65/35 flips.

Happy to know I didn't do wrong :) Thank you Horizon

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call is absolutely fine - how often are you really folding AK in this situation? Only suggestion is that when the villain has flatted a bigger raise may have shown more strength and prevented the shove. Their play is weird but ultimately you will be profitable calling in this situation. Simply bad luck to be out flopped.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When he limps i like raising a bit bigger. Punish him for limping. When he moves all in i snap call there unless you have really good reads and are either flipping or behind. Well played, unlucky :(

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty easy call with AK, we cannot throw such hands away heads up especially when villain limps and then shoves.

Don't worry about losing in such spots when you make the right decision and still lose.:)

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When he limps i like raising a bit bigger. Punish him for limping. When he moves all in i snap call there unless you have really good reads and are either flipping or behind. Well played, unlucky :(

This is a pretty easy call with AK, we cannot throw such hands away heads up especially when villain limps and then shoves.

Don't worry about losing in such spots when you make the right decision and still lose.:)

Aiight thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with everyone. raise a little bigger but otherwise perfectly played, you trapped him nicely and the deck bailed him out.

Also, now that you know he is capable of such plays, in the future when encountering opponents with these tendencies; you should be willing to just limp along with medium strength hands that are likely only 55% vs his wide limp shove range (ex, KJ, A8); and you can be willing to raise/call a jam a bit wider too essentially trapping to spew when you hold hands stronger hands that dominate his limp/shove range lik ATs, AJo, and possibly even KQ?

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK preflop all in in heads up with about 40 BB is all you need. Your opponent has KK+ only in 0,4 %. Therfore no chance to pass this.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone. raise a little bigger but otherwise perfectly played, you trapped him nicely and the deck bailed him out.

Also, now that you know he is capable of such plays, in the future when encountering opponents with these tendencies; you should be willing to just limp along with medium strength hands that are likely only 55% vs his wide limp shove range (ex, KJ, A8); and you can be willing to raise/call a jam a bit wider too essentially trapping to spew when you hold hands stronger hands that dominate his limp/shove range lik ATs, AJo, and possibly even KQ?

Missjackie, you seem like a good tournament player, how do you deal with short time variance? In the tourneys I play one bad variance hand can bust you out of a tourney pretty easily :eek: Thanks for the tips!

AK preflop all in in heads up with about 40 BB is all you need. Your opponent has KK+ only in 0,4 %. Therfore no chance to pass this.

Cool bro, thank you!

Everyone thanks for the input on this! I'm usually wacking my head into the wall whenever I loose a HU at the FT when I have the better hand saying to myself I could have done something differently, but I guess it's just to accept and move on.