$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo: Fold Trips Top Kicker here?

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont have the Hand Replay anymore but Ill describe it here:

Its Turbo im 23BB deep ( button), my oponent to my left 21 (utg+1) , my oponent on the Right 50 bb deep (cutoff).
cutoff limps, I raise 3x with A10o, both call. Flop 7 8 10 Rainbow. Action goes Check, halfpot raise from cutoff (around 6-7 bb) , i call , utg+1 calls aswell. Turn hits another 10. Action goes Check, All in shove from cutoff.

Now my Question is if i ever can find a Fold here? I mean i basically only beat other 10s here, and because of the Utg+1 player seemed very very tight id imagine he has a 10 or a strong draw aswell (I can rule out overpairs like JJ+ because he would 3 bet them). So if he blocks the other 10 the guy with the shove must be on a pretty Strong draw, have nut straight or a boat most likely... So must i fold Set of 10 with Top Kicker here? (have 15 bb stack behind)

Regards Schrubbler

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
UTG+1 must also have limped into the pot, and with two limpers and a 23BB stack, you can either limp behind or move all in. ATo block some strong hands like AA, AK and AQ, and it play poorly multiway, so its a nice hand to simply jam and be done. If everyone fold, you pick up around 4,5BB in blinds and antes, which is a great result.

Flop
The stack to pot ratio is around two, and you flopped TPTK on a very connected board. One of the limpers lead into you (donk bet), and now you should also just move all in.

Turn
Easy call. Your hand is way to strong to fold with a stack this short. If he had you beat, its just a cooler. But possibly that cooler could have been avoided, if you had moved all in preflop. Many of the hands, that beat you on this board, would typically not have called a jam. So you kind of invited the suckout by your cute little massagebet.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont have the Hand Replay anymore but Ill describe it here:

Its Turbo im 23BB deep ( button), my oponent to my left 21 (utg+1) , my oponent on the Right 50 bb deep (cutoff).
cutoff limps, I raise 3x with A10o, both call. Flop 7 8 10 Rainbow. Action goes Check, halfpot raise from cutoff (around 6-7 bb) , i call , utg+1 calls aswell. Turn hits another 10. Action goes Check, All in shove from cutoff.

Now my Question is if i ever can find a Fold here? I mean i basically only beat other 10s here, and because of the Utg+1 player seemed very very tight id imagine he has a 10 or a strong draw aswell (I can rule out overpairs like JJ+ because he would 3 bet them). So if he blocks the other 10 the guy with the shove must be on a pretty Strong draw, have nut straight or a boat most likely... So must i fold Set of 10 with Top Kicker here? (have 15 bb stack behind)

Regards Schrubbler

As this is an online turbo, I am quite a bit out of my element here.

However, when we start to approach 15BB in a normally structured tournament, it's "get it in" time and I have to think a 23BB stack in a turbo is virtually the same.

Now, we obviously have a horrible CO; who open limps the CO in a turbo? In any event actually? Anyway, a jam is probably very profitable here - albeit it may actually cost you some value at these stakes, very similar to a $1/$2 cash game where villains are terrible and limp call all reasonable raises.

I honestly prefer a jam to a 3x raise here with your stack size. If this were a normal event, you'd never raise 3x from a 15BB stack say for 12 combo's, and even then...

Ok, top/top - your 3x borderline gamble paid off...and jackass bets into you...get it in.

Ok, so as played...... never fold,.......ever ever ever. Seriously, if he has 8 10, he must have a horseshoe up his ass and good game.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are thinking about folding trips with top kicker in a freeroll event without a 4 liner board of some sort, then poker may not be for you.

#1 this is a limped pot - its soooooo easy for our opponents to have worse 10x hands here they are going to stack off with - #2 it's hard to make a pair in holdem, much less to flop a straight! I guess its possible you could be coolered by the full house - but I'm going to find out 100% of the time because I am never folding a hand this strong in a freeroll. It's just one of those spots where you are going to have to show me the goods to win the pot because I'm not folding.

Now - I tend to complete/check ATo from the blinds. When we think of a balanced range we do need some strong check backs here in our range. It under reps the strength of our hand greatly and being balanced makes it much more difficult for our opponents to deal with us post flop. AT and KQ are some of the strongest checks I have here in the blinds for unpaired hands. Raising AT here and having to play the hand OOP vs two opponents puts us at a severe disadvantage and if often going to be a case where we end up having to raise/fold or give up on later streets so this play is burning us more chips than its earning.

So - if we were to just check preflop and disguise our hand strength - we can easily check/call flop on a relatively connected board, then when the 10 comes on the turn we can choose between leading out or check/shoving turn. Either way we are looking to get it all in with such a strong hand.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called and ran into the Nut Straight, thats why i thought if there maybe had been a way to fold here ^^

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Difficult to fold in this situation. One chance to defend against this is a higher raise pre-flop, but after calling the flop, the pot is already half of my stack. I do not like to fight with a big stack since it is almost impossible to get it to fold.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your post. I would always call here. Your opponent could have a number of hands that you are ahead of. With stacks this short I would call no matter what. Good Luck

Good Luck To All:cool:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called and ran into the Nut Straight, thats why i thought if there maybe had been a way to fold here ^^

Dont be results oriented! Its called a cooler for a reason...no getting away from going broke in spots like this. Especially in freerolls and micros. Folding trips with the best kicker here is a bad idea.

I figured you must have lost the hand - had you won the hand you wouldnt have asked if it was correct to stack off here. Too many focus on the end result rather than the play at hand - its a bad habit

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As many have said, there is no way to fold here. Not only can he have a lot of hands, you are ahead of, like KT, QT, JT, T9, A9, K9, Q9, 98, 97 to just mention a few. You also have equity even when behind, Against a straight you have 10 outs to make a boat or even quads, and with 46 unseen cards this will happen 21,7% of the time.

So depending on his exact betsize you only lose a little, when he has a straight, and you win a lot, when he has those other hands, you beat. This is why, we all tell you, this is a very trivial call. For me this is not even something, I use my time bank for. I simply press "call" as fast as humanly possible and move my attention to another table, since I am usually multitabling.

Folding in Poker