$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo: 44 shove all in from UTG at bubble?

P

PoliticoV

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!

So just now I was playing 10$ freeroll on ACR. There were close to 600 entries and top 10 players were supposed to be paid. The hand I am gonna talk about was played when there were 13 players left in the tournament and top 10 were supposed to play. I was 10th in ranking with about 15 BB.

The blinds were 1250/2500 with 300 ante. I was UTG+1 with 44. The SB was one of the terrible players with 35BB who was afraid of calling raises almost all of the time. The BB was a decent player with 10-15% of hand range who had about 23BB.

I shoved all in UTG+1 with 44 and everyone folded except BB who called with 1010. The board came 37825 and BB won the hand with a pair of 10.

I would really appreciate anyone could analyze this hand for me in detail?

Thanks!

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's only so much detail can be given due to the amount of information given...

However, personally I am folding 44 UTG on a 15 BB stack... This is essentially a steal where you are at best flipping when called. On a <10BB stack I am shoving this hand from any position but on 15BB, and at this stage, I am open folding. You are essentially bound to a push fold strategy on this stack size but you have plenty of room to wait for a better hand/position.

44 barely makes the top 33% of hands and in this position/stack size I am shoving like the top 5-8% (depending on table). Our fold equity is reasonable but not great and in a freeroll, even deep, you can expect to be called lighter than at higher stakes.

My range would open up around the bubble and I would be shoving lighter than normal, but my UTG range, with 8 players left to get through, would still be pretty tight.

P

PoliticoV

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with you. I regretted as soon as I clicked all-in button. So, as a follow-up question, what can you possibly raise and not shove all-in with 15BB at early position?

Thanks again for your response above. It was really helpful.

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbh on a 15bb stack I'm rarely opening a hand I am not willing to go all in with. The only time I will possibly be doing this is in late position against passive blinds where I am only getting played back at when the have a real hand.

I do however widen my shove range from later position. From the button/sb, in an unopened pot, I am open shoving like:

44+,A2s+,K5s+,Q7s+,J8s+,T8s+,98s,A7o+,A5o,K9o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9o

unless the blinds are particular loose and/or deep. I am shoving back against late position opens from loose med. stacks pretty wide too.

P

PoliticoV

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sweet. Thanks for your response and providing the shoving range. I really appreciate it.