$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Can someone explain the equity on this please?

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (5 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 2,344 (47 bb)
UTG+1: 1,885 (38 bb)
MP: 1,926 (39 bb)
MP+1: 3,684 (74 bb)
CO: 5,195 (104 bb)
BU: 1,795 (36 bb)
SB: 1,571 (31 bb)
BB (Hero): 1,698 (34 bb)

Pre-Flop: (115) Hero is BB with 7 9
UTG calls 50, 4 players fold, BTN raises to 100, SB calls 75, Hero calls 50, UTG calls 50

Flop: (440) K K 7 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets 50, SB calls 50, Hero calls 50, UTG calls 50

Turn: (640) 8 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets 50, SB folds, Hero calls 50, UTG folds

River: (740) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Total pot: 740

Showdown:
BU shows 6 7 (two pair, Kings and Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 35%, Flop: 33%, Turn: 22%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) shows 7 9 (two pair, Kings and Eights - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 65%, Flop: 67%, Turn: 78%, River: 100%)
BB (Hero) wins 740

From the Cardschat 888 Freeroll today, I don't understand the equity shown by the hand replayer on this hand. Am I missing something? Also was this played OK or badly?

I was BB and had crap but defended my BB to a min-raise.

Flop comes and I'd hit, but not the K which is dominating. Pre-flop raiser C-bets and I call him to the river where its checked down. I won oddly enough on high card given my 7 was rendered useless on the river by the board getting two-paired. Coincidentally the other person betting also had a 7 but a lower kicker.

But I can't understand why the replayer is saying that BU has 33% equity on the flop and 22% equity on the river. As far as I can see, in hindsight, I should have been utterly dominating.

As far as I can see there's no straight draw, there's no flush draw on the turn (and only a backdoor flush draw on the flop), the only thing I could lose to on the flop is a runner/runner of two 6s or two spades. As far as I can see by the Turn I can't lose, the big risk is of another 7 or K coming so we both have Full House and I lose my higher kicker, but I fail to see how that's 22% equity for the BU.

Since three 7s are in play there's only one left. Since 2 Ks are in play, there's 2 left. So there's 3/44 (6.8%) chance of the Full House arriving but if it does then its split pot.

So as far as I can see, the villain should have 3.4% equity on the Turn and I should have 96.6% in hindsight, but why does the analyser think I have only 78% and V has 22%?

What am I missing? How could V possibly win this hand on the River?

EDIT: Just realised any 10+ would trump my kicker wouldn't it? So also split the pot. However that still feels off as 22% equity there.

Last edited:
T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct - as per your edit, most of his equity is in a chopped pot of a card of T+ or 6 comes on the river

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love it when we awnser our own questions!
Great question and great awnser!

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (5 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 2,344 (47 bb)
UTG+1: 1,885 (38 bb)
MP: 1,926 (39 bb)
MP+1: 3,684 (74 bb)
CO: 5,195 (104 bb)
BU: 1,795 (36 bb)
SB: 1,571 (31 bb)
BB (Hero): 1,698 (34 bb)

Pre-Flop: (115) Hero is BB with 7 9
UTG calls 50, 4 players fold, BTN raises to 100, SB calls 75, Hero calls 50, UTG calls 50

Flop: (440) K K 7 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets 50, SB calls 50, Hero calls 50, UTG calls 50

Turn: (640) 8 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets 50, SB folds, Hero calls 50, UTG folds

River: (740) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Total pot: 740

Showdown:
BU shows 6 7 (two pair, Kings and Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 35%, Flop: 33%, Turn: 22%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) shows 7 9 (two pair, Kings and Eights - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 65%, Flop: 67%, Turn: 78%, River: 100%)
BB (Hero) wins 740

From the Cardschat 888 Freeroll today, I don't understand the equity shown by the hand replayer on this hand. Am I missing something? Also was this played OK or badly?

I was BB and had crap but defended my BB to a min-raise.

Flop comes and I'd hit, but not the K which is dominating. Pre-flop raiser C-bets and I call him to the river where its checked down. I won oddly enough on high card given my 7 was rendered useless on the river by the board getting two-paired. Coincidentally the other person betting also had a 7 but a lower kicker.

But I can't understand why the replayer is saying that BU has 33% equity on the flop and 22% equity on the river. As far as I can see, in hindsight, I should have been utterly dominating.

As far as I can see there's no straight draw, there's no flush draw on the turn (and only a backdoor flush draw on the flop), the only thing I could lose to on the flop is a runner/runner of two 6s or two spades. As far as I can see by the Turn I can't lose, the big risk is of another 7 or K coming so we both have Full House and I lose my higher kicker, but I fail to see how that's 22% equity for the BU.

Since three 7s are in play there's only one left. Since 2 Ks are in play, there's 2 left. So there's 3/44 (6.8%) chance of the Full House arriving but if it does then its split pot.

So as far as I can see, the villain should have 3.4% equity on the Turn and I should have 96.6% in hindsight, but why does the analyser think I have only 78% and V has 22%?

What am I missing? How could V possibly win this hand on the River?

EDIT: Just realised any 10+ would trump my kicker wouldn't it? So also split the pot. However that still feels off as 22% equity there.

I love it when we awnser our own questions!
Great question and great awnser!

why do you even bother compute this you won the hand already and this is just a freeroll, this is too much work on my mathematical math brain

love AKQ answer :)

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you even bother compute this you won the hand already and this is just a freeroll, this is too much work on my mathematical math brain

love AKQ answer :)

The computer tells you the equity so no calculations required but if OP hadn't realised the answer during initial post it is hard to get 22% equity - miles away, again, no real calculation required.

And a second vote for AKQ answer :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand was played completely fine. Against larger bets we should consider folding flop or turn, since we are drawing dead to a K, and its a multiway pot. But when he min-bets, it looks very weak, and we are getting a great price to get to showdown and either chop or even win, as you did here.

As for the equities on the flop he could win on running spades or running 6`s, but most of his equity came from the many runouts, that would chop the pot. On the turn he could no longer win, but a 7 or any card T or higher would chop the pot, and this is why, he had 22% equity. If for instance the board ran out KK7-8-J, you would both have KK77J, and your 9 kicker would not play.