$Freeroll NLHE MTT: QQ multiway early in CC platinum freeroll on ACR

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only my third time to play the daily CC freeroll on ACR, and just 3 hands into the game this hand happen. I guess, the outcome is kind of funny, but on a more serious note, do you call here in a freeroll? Or perhaps check flop or turn for pot control?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 - 9 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG (Hero): 2,395 (80 bb)
UTG+1: 2,500 (83 bb)
MP: 2,470 (82 bb)
MP+1: 2,500 (83 bb)
LP: 2,740 (91 bb)
CO: 2,440 (81 bb)
BU: 2,410 (80 bb)
SB: 2,425 (81 bb)
BB: 2,500 (83 bb)

Pre-Flop: (45) Hero is UTG with Q♦ Q♥
Hero raises to 75, UTG+1 calls 75, 4 players fold, BTN calls 75, 1 fold, BB calls 45

Flop: (315) T♣ 8♣ 8♦ (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 126, UTG+1 calls 126, BU folds, BB calls 126

Turn: (693) 7♦ (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 277, UTG+1 calls 277, BB raises to 2,299 (all-in), UTG (Hero) folds, UTG+1 calls 2,022 (all-in)

River: (5,568) Q♠ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 5,568

Showdown:
BB shows A♣ 9♣ (a pair of Eights)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 44%, River: 0%)

UTG+1 shows K♣ A♠ (a pair of Eights - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 56%, River: 100%)

UTG+1 wins 5,568

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id check call flop and most turns and fold to a river bet.
If there is a ton of action on earlier streets can check fold there too.
As played no comments.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I said in a post a few weeks ago regarding these ACR CC tournaments, the play rarely makes any sense for the first few levels.

I'm definitely not folding QQ there. There are just way too many players doing exactly that kind of stuff.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you are only starting to feel out the different players. It's usually the same people. Just take notes.

PS, a tiny open like that is gonna get you into multiway pots every time on ACR and you're gonna be OOP and not know where you are. Open bigger. It's actually ok to even open shove there depending on who's on your table. Believe me, some will call with Ax or like 99. That's where the notes come in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm definitely not folding QQ there. There are just way too many players doing exactly that kind of stuff.

To be fair the guy shipping had a big combo draw and the A overcard as well. So even with QQ I would basically have been flipping with him needing to fade half the deck on the river. The real "WTF" moment for me was the fact, that other guy called it off with just AK high and then ended up winning the hand :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you are only starting to feel out the different players. It's usually the same people. Just take notes.

PS, a tiny open like that is gonna get you into multiway pots every time on ACR and you're gonna be OOP and not know where you are. Open bigger. It's actually ok to even open shove there depending on who's on your table. Believe me, some will call with Ax or like 99. That's where the notes come in.

Yeah that makes sense. I am not going to be a frequent visitor in these freerolls though, because they start at 2 am in my timezone (11 pm in weekends). I had just fallen to sleep really early, because I was sick, so I woke up early as well and decided to play some poker on ACR. Think it was my third time or so to play the ACR CC freerolls. Did not cash in it but cashed in some regular MTTs and had an ok session.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me your open size is fine but what Blueskies states is true in these and its something I need to work on in these and I play them a few times a week since start of 2021 and used to play them daily in 2020. There are plenty of players that will call off way lighter than QQ.

On the flop, I like your sizing in non-freeroll events but in knowing that it is a freeroll and that people call lighter you will get a lot of calls betting 50-60% of pot here in even though is not much they could. There will be plenty of players that just float for the hell of it in freerolls so I advise going bigger.

On the turn, after the flop is called I think you sizing is okay but still think you can go bigger as most of the time you are getting called down by 10x in this spot in a freeroll. I think when you get jammed on, on that board, its a fairly easy fold unless you know the player. There are some freeroll regs (I wont name names) that I would call there with a lot worse than QQ but most of the time, especially if you dont know the player, their action is going to be in correlation with their hand strength.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at your hand and remember a bunch of similar hands on daily freerolls. These tournaments should be held in a friendly atmosphere in my opinion. But the actions of some players defy any explanation. You think about the range of the opponent's hands, the chances of calling, spend time on the thought process, and the opponent just pushes any cards. Only one question remains in my head after the end of the hand - "why does he do this?"
Yesterday I played at two final tables at the same time in CardsChat tournaments. Since I don't use HUD, I thought through every action to go this long way and get to the final tables.
Your example shows how players commit aggression for the sake of aggression. If the tournament took place in pokerstars, then an ace or a king came to the river. I have no doubt about it. The player with the worst chances does thoughtless things that lead to winning big pots. You made a competent fold because you thought that the hands of J9, 96 or any 8 could be in the villain's range. Well, if I were your opponent in this hand, I would play like this with only a single hand with A8.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only one question remains in my head after the end of the hand - "why does he do this?"

As I said already, I can understand the push with A8 of clubs, because its a combodraw on the turn. Although if you can expect to get called even by AK high, it would obviously be better for him to just call and take the price on his draw. But what goes into the decision making of not 3-betting AK preflop but then calling it off on the turn for 80 BB, when he missed completely and could easily be drawing dead, I honestly dont know :)

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with all the previous posts.

this is how I see it:

1- early stages freerolls are just ppl trying to get stacks. I would not mind losing it with a risky call because of the many outrageous plays/eager for chip players.

2 - Notes are good to help with the decision. The player pool is usually the same, and they also dont change much the way they play.

3 - Ranges, positions, and actions:

- UTG raise, UTG+1 call, BTN calls, BB calls. What does that mean? Would they play AT/A8/88/78/T8/JT calling the UTG and UTG+1? Well, from my perspective, they will call with even worse...So it is basically a game of guesses based on the next streets pretty much.

With that in mind, what usually happens if they flop the nuts or a single pair? Just think about it for a second and you will understand that the majority of players flopping either the trips or the T will aggro you immediately after your raise. But that is only my perspective based on the games there.

When the blank hits, and they start shipping it I know that the possibility of them trying to steal is high, otherwise the nuts would have 3-bet you at the flop bet already.

So, early stages with that opportunity in Freerolls I would take the chance. Also, I would fold depending on the player and the notes I have on him. For Unknnown players I think the call is an ok risk.

The fold would be my option if not a freeroll game though.

J

jumboscampi

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Difficult decision

I air on the side of caution. Longevity matters most in tournaments.

I find that the last card will usually lose the hand for me to another in those tournys.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the blank hits, and they start shipping it I know that the possibility of them trying to steal is high.

7d on the turn is actually not a blank, since it completed the J9 OESD and the more unlikely but still possible 96 gutshot. So other than trips and boats, there are now also straights, that an overpair is potentially behind to.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only my third time to play the daily CC freeroll on ACR, and just 3 hands into the game this hand happen. I guess, the outcome is kind of funny, but on a more serious note, do you call here in a freeroll? Or perhaps check flop or turn for pot control?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 - 9 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG (Hero): 2,395 (80 bb)
UTG+1: 2,500 (83 bb)
MP: 2,470 (82 bb)
MP+1: 2,500 (83 bb)
LP: 2,740 (91 bb)
CO: 2,440 (81 bb)
BU: 2,410 (80 bb)
SB: 2,425 (81 bb)
BB: 2,500 (83 bb)

Pre-Flop: (45) Hero is UTG with Q♦ Q♥
Hero raises to 75, UTG+1 calls 75, 4 players fold, BTN calls 75, 1 fold, BB calls 45

Flop: (315) T♣ 8♣ 8♦ (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 126, UTG+1 calls 126, BU folds, BB calls 126

Turn: (693) 7♦ (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 277, UTG+1 calls 277, BB raises to 2,299 (all-in), UTG (Hero) folds, UTG+1 calls 2,022 (all-in)

River: (5,568) Q♠ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 5,568

Showdown:
BB shows A♣ 9♣ (a pair of Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 44%, River: 0%)

UTG+1 shows K♣ A♠ (a pair of Eights - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 56%, River: 100%)

UTG+1 wins 5,568

Thank you for posting

If you reverse breakdown this hand the player types indicate how this hand can be played most often in these fields.

Betting flop was good sizing good but in these games the why of that bet changes from GTO sizing.

The key here is the turn card board interaction and the BB call range interaction. The reaction of the BB with this holding is common on the turn as flop XR get fewer folds so delayed semi bluffs occur on the turn more often.

As we see here the turn card increased the BB's equity and gave them a better squeeze opportunity. However they did not lead- that is soooo common that we can check behind to realize equity and stack protect at the same time. These V also slow play nuts and near nut hands but chase a wide range so the check turn vs this player type is +EV as they bluff seldom on rivers. So we do not need to use MDF unless we know them.
We can still get value from worse on rivers as well as some players over bet worse full houses and call too wide.

The second player type will often check behind on the turn as the BB can be slow playing as well so we can leverage the BB to get to see that river by taking our time on turn before we check to make V 2 just want to catch the river card not bluff and run into trouble on turn.

It does not work every time but in a spot like this it works most often to check turn decide river.

Hope this helps
:):)