2-7. $22T
8-15: $5.5T

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - 400/800 (80 ante) - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: 27,150 (34 bb)
UTG+1: 13,554 (17 bb)
MP: 17,384 (22 bb)
MP+1: 26,187 (33 bb)
LP (Hero): 17,962 (22 bb) Won a coin flip earlier and back to ~10/17, very likely to be ITM if folding this hand
CO: 13,552 (17 bb)
BU: 27,830 (35 bb)
SB: 15,154 (19 bb)
BB: 22,235 (28 bb) VPIP/PRF/3bet: 26/25/12 over 48 hands

Pre-Flop: (1,920) Hero is LP with Q Q
4 players fold, Hero raises to 2,160, 3 players fold, BB 3-bets to 7,865, Hero ??

What would you do in this situation?

C

choppot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is tough but QQ are too strong to fold pre flop but you also want to be in the money. Let's ask ourselves some questions. Would they 3-bet knowing we will fold a lot of good hands? Since we are in last position does this person think we are trying to steal? Have you seen this person try to re steal somebody's steal attempt? Does my QQ's beat their range? If you answered yes to all these questions then 4-bet all in. If it's yes to some but I don't know to others then it's all no answers. So I wouldn't 4-bet and just call and do a stop and go. If the flop comes up with all cards lower than a queen and your opponent checks or bets then go all in. If the flop has an Ace, King or both then seriously think about folding. If a Queen comes up and opponent checks then check back and give them some rope for a turn bet and re raise all in on the turn. Chances are they will be committed after that bet and will call. Same thing if they bet the flop re raise all in and they will have to call. If you do end up folding your QQ's on the flop then at least your still in it and still have fold equity when you play the shove or fold game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He is playing quite loose and 3 bets enough that I would be happy to 4bet shove here. We need to play to get into the money but we should keep our eyes on 1st place. Also consider the stack size he has. If he calls your shove and looses be is most likely no going to make the money. He probably will call tight here and fold more than you might think.

A

alvinw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a spot that is pretty easy if you wanna win the tourney. if you just want to cash flat and play it weak tight. 1/3 of the time an A or K will flop and you can fold to a bet. but if you want to win and play for the win. 3bet/call it off. This would be my play 95% of the time. 5% is a Satty and I have to wait out a player or 2. then I would just fold to get the ticket. QQ is too strong here. GL

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you either call with the intention to shove the flop if no over card comes or shove all in preflop. but what to do if he shoves after a flop with no over cards? you have already put in about 40% of your stack if you fold you are short stacked. he could have done that with AA KK AK JJ even maybe 10 10 if he is aggressive he may just have KQs KJs or even an Axs. I say take the chance and call if he shoves.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove all day long if you fold here it is bad poker

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shove my friend. we can fold marginal hands in favor of getting in the money.

QQ HJ vs BB at 22 BB is NOT a marginal hand. It's a monster.

that's before you factor in his 12% 3bet.

I'm a kinda crazy 3better (esp vs LP raises) and mine is only 7-8%

If you aren't comfortable going bust with monsters near the bubble, you will never win tourneys. but you will min cash a bunch. unfortunately, min cashes don't pay the bills.

just do the math. if you cash twice as often as the average player (30%, because 15% paid) but they are mostly mincahses (1.5x the buyin) then over 10 tourneys you will have cashed 3x. which is 4.5 buy ins over 10 tourneys. in other words a -65% ROI.

I understand this is a freeroll so your buy in is "0"...but these same factors and concepts will follow you to real buy ins and your bankroll will be evaporated if you only ever mincash.

I once had a year with the highest ITM% of my career. And I lost the most money that year. I was being a nit and only min cashing.

Bubble adjustments are for hands on the margins of playable. NOT FOR POWERHOUSES!

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks all, I folded here and managed to win $5.5T.

But yes, I should call in position and gii if no A/K and may just shove vs high 3bet% villain

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you did right thing here. Flop can be really nasty, he could raising you with two napkins and hit two pairs or something else that beats you, and no money for you. I have lost to many times in situation like this from hands with almost zero equity. If you’re goal is to gamble, then four bet all in is must do, but if you want to play good then fold is right play. No matter if you’re opponent is loose- stealing kind of player he can still beat you with any two cards in his hands

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CC freeroll, 17 players remaining, top 15 get paid, shortest stack around 10bb
payout structure as follows:

1. $109T
2-7. $22T
8-15: $5.5T

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - 400/800 (80 ante) - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: 27,150 (34 bb)
UTG+1: 13,554 (17 bb)
MP: 17,384 (22 bb)
MP+1: 26,187 (33 bb)
LP (Hero): 17,962 (22 bb) Won a coin flip earlier and back to ~10/17, very likely to be ITM if folding this hand
CO: 13,552 (17 bb)
BU: 27,830 (35 bb)
SB: 15,154 (19 bb)
BB: 22,235 (28 bb) VPIP/PRF/3bet: 26/25/12 over 48 hands

Pre-Flop: (1,920) Hero is LP with Q Q
4 players fold, Hero raises to 2,160, 3 players fold, BB 3-bets to 7,865, Hero ??

What would you do in this situation?

I would shove this without hesitation.

Sure, we could fold and probably make the money but it's no guarantee. If we win this we have better chance at getting to the top-3 or win. That is where the real big money is in a tournament.

The only hands that beat us are AA and KK. If they have it, so be it.