$Freeroll NLHE MTT: KJs Should I have feared the raise?

Z_T

Z_T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MP+1: 32.08 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, hands: 2)
MP+2: 29.5 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
CO: 85.75 BB (VPIP: 31.58, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
Hero (BTN): 85.88 BB
SB: 35.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
BB: 68.25 BB (VPIP: 60.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 10)
UTG: 35.13 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
UTG+1: 119.98 BB (VPIP: 54.55, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
MP: 35.25 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Kd Jd
fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, BB calls 4 BB, MP+1 calls 4 BB

Flop : (15.5 BB, 3 players) Th 6s 5c
BB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets 7.75 BB, BB calls 7.75 BB, MP+1 raises to 27.08 BB and is all-in, fold, BB calls 19.33 BB

Turn : (77.4 BB, 2 players) Tc

River : (77.4 BB, 2 players) Kc

MP+1 shows Ad 5d (Two Pair, Tens and Fives)
(Pre 58%, Flop 94%, Turn 94%)

BB shows 4c As (One Pair, Tens)
(Pre 42%, Flop 6%, Turn 6%)

MP+1 wins 77.4 BB

Was folding to MP+1 shove too passive, he was only 2 hands in on this table.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think folding on this flop is fine. You took a stab with a Cbet in position after 2 players checked to you and you had the betting lead and 2 overs. Then somebody announced "I have a hand" and jammed. You wisely folded as you had nothing.

By the way, if you would have called, although you would have won the pot you would have gotten your money in really bad because villain was ahead at the time the pot got big.

My analysis:

Preflop: Good. Isolate a weak player, weak range in position with a playable medium strength hand. Plus you have some fold equity.

Flop: I won't always Cbet in a 3 way pot on this type of board. It doesn't hit my perceived range and a thinking opponent can check raise light quite often and exploit me here. That said, sometimes Cbetting here is OK, but there are some draws present that will call you quite often. If the flop was T75 rainbow then I think a Cbet is great because it's hard for your opponents to have too many draws. In this case I think Cbetting is optional but OK as you've totally whiffed with not even a backdoor draw so it should be really easy to play your hand if the Cbet fails.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero
Pre-flop - raising to 5BB with a marginal hand against an aggro BB is, imo, asking for trouble. BB is coming along with pretty much any two cards by the look of his stats so unless you hit the flop hard what do you do next in an over-inflated pot. I am not averse to getting involved here but a raise to 2.5BB is enough.

Flop - given that you have hit nothing and don't have any draws what is your thinking? The BB has a range that could well have hit something and you have no reads on MP+1 but as they have called the big raise after limping pre you have to at least be worried about small PP having hit a set. Continuation bets are not obligatory. What was the intention of your c-bet? Presumably you were trying to take the pot down but what did you think the villains were going to do? Once the villain shoves of course you have to fold. What hands could you possibly be beating? You are even behind a lot of his bluffs. Given that the BB has already called your bet they are also likely to stay involved so the chances of you being ahead of both are remote in the extreme. Against a single Ax hand you are no better than 26%. The fact that the king comes on the river is irrelevant and should have no bearing on your thinking.

IMO everyone overplayed this hand and your fold to the shove is the only move I really like.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the Cbetting topic...I'd like to share a little bit.

Cbetting has evolved a lot since Harrington wrote his books. Against thinking players if they call your preflop raise they're often expecting to call your CBet. So, when you Cbet bluf you need to already have a plan for the turn....basically always firing 2 barrels. If that makes you uncomfortable, then you can adjust your Cbetting strategy.

It makes me uncomfortable for my style to ALWAYS fire 2 barrels when I have the betting lead. So I've adjusted my Cbets as follows:

I aim to Cbet 67% of the time, a little higher when checked to in position in a heads up pot (maybe 80%).

I base the size of my Cbet on board texture, not on the strength of my hand. So on dry boards I'll Cbet 50% and on draw heavy boards or otherwise dangerous boards I'll Cbet 67%. The exception is if I am playing against a bunch of terrible calling stations then I'll Cbet 50% of the pot will all my air and draws and monsters. I'll Cbet 67% of the pot with my made hands that I think I'm value betting. This is pretty exploitable if anyone is paying attention, so if there are even 1 or 2 good players at the table I'll just revert to the 1st strategy which is to base my Cbet size on board texture and not on my hand strength.

For example, If I raise in mid position with 77 and the BB calls and the flop comes QT8 with 2 diamonds I'm going to Cbet 67% of the pot if checked to EVEN THOUGH I HATE THIS FLOP! because it hits my perceived range, and they've already checked; and I want to charge the draws. But now take the same hand and make it a 3way pot, I'll probably just check behind and give up unless I spike a 7.

Z_T

Z_T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the feedback, in retrospect I should have had the mind to take the hand to showdown vs the BB at least with his VPIP. I had the bad assumption that MP+1 would maybe want to wait and that he probably didn't get a hand he wanted to play yet. And my fold EQ would work against BB maybe more so because the flop was rainbow. I know I got a lot of work to do lol

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet vs 2 players with a drawing hand missing the flop is to overplay the position. I would take the free card. Hitting at last a gutshot on the turn you can thaen make a bet in position.