$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Did I make a mistake here?

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

SB (t1,320)
Hero (BB) (t1,845)
UTG (t3,210)
UTG+1 (t4,125)
MP1 (t615)
MP2 (t2,463)
MP3 (t1,980)
CO (t852)
Button (t3,060)

Hero's M: 30.75

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7
diamond.gif
, 7
club.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 calls t40, 2 folds, MP3 raises to t180, 3 folds, Hero calls t140, UTG+1 calls t140

Flop: (t560) 9
spade.gif
, 2
heart.gif
, 7
spade.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets t560, Hero calls t560, 1 fold

Turn: (t1,680) 10
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets t1,240 (All-In), Hero calls t1,105 (All-In)

River: (t3,890) 8
spade.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3,890

Results below:
Hero had 7
diamond.gif
, 7
club.gif
(three of a kind, sevens).
MP3 had J
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif
(straight, Jack high).
Outcome: MP3 won t3,890

Allright, so I have history with this dude, knowing he stabs ANY unraised pot if its HU. I figured I would be ahead with a set, and the flushdraw didn't really scare me.
But now, when it's printed here, I wonder if I could have done this differently without loosing value. That's why I checked the flop. VALUE.

Cheers

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you just made a choice to slow play your set on a flush draw board (that turned).

If you are playing the man I can respect that choice. In general terms I have learned NOT to slow play my sets on a flush draw board as it has bit me in the ass too many times. You allowed him to set his own price to chase - that could be considered a mistake.

If I am him and you check call the flop I have to consider the flush draw in your range.

If I am you I know that he thinks that, so when he jams the flush coming in at the turn it's either the nuts or a bluff. The thing is he is showing he has no fear of your flush draw.

But all that's in general terms - you were playing the man so ask yourself - would you play it the same way against him 4 out of 5 times?

G

goodgameme

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm check raising all in on the flop personally. I don't want a card coming on the turn that scares him into checking through.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you just made a choice to slow play your set on a flush draw board (that turned).

If you are playing the man I can respect that choice. In general terms I have learned NOT to slow play my sets on a flush draw board as it has bit me in the ass too many times. You allowed him to set his own price to chase - that could be considered a mistake.

If I am him and you check call the flop I have to consider the flush draw in your range.

If I am you I know that he thinks that, so when he jams the flush coming in at the turn it's either the nuts or a bluff. The thing is he is showing he has no fear of your flush draw.

But all that's in general terms - you were playing the man so ask yourself - would you play it the same way against him 4 out of 5 times?

Well, tbh after the last weeks hilarious bad beats I had to really think this trough, but YES I would.

Cheers

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe no matter what you tried to do checking the flop is a mistake, yoou can check raise it and the hand could be profitable for you and you would be in the tournament.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe no matter what you tried to do checking the flop is a mistake, yoou can check raise it and the hand could be profitable for you and you would be in the tournament.

Well yeah, I could have. Thing is he wouldn't fold a check-shove...
But he would prolly fold to a all-in on the flop, but then I miss out some EV....
Gawd my head hurts...
Cheers

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you have a set on a board like that it is not advisable to slow play, you should be betting close to the pot here to deter people from chasing the flush.

Checking on the turn made you look weak and that's why MP3 had shoved. You should of at least made a half the pot bet size here, the MP3 would more likely have folded as he was still chasing the straight at this point. He could of been a complete idiot and still play the hand with the flush hitting as this is a freeroll.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In turn we need call this push because if he have flush, in flop this very big bet with only draw strange game, when he shove i think him range like A9s K9o with
spade.gif
high or overpair .

About flop game this easy shove with trips on this coordinated board...

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a set on a board like that it is not advisable to slow play, you should be betting close to the pot here to deter people from chasing the flush.
But if you bet to price out flush draws, how much of his range are you going to fold out that you want to keep in?

Checking on the turn made you look weak and that's why MP3 had shoved.
How weak can you look after check-calling 1/3 of your stack on the flop?

You should of at least made a half the pot bet size here, the MP3 would more likely have folded as he was still chasing the straight at this point. He could of been a complete idiot and still play the hand with the flush hitting as this is a freeroll.
But how much do you want him to fold if he's chasing?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think that you shouldn't slow play your set. So here two options: I play donkbet or check/raise, because there is FD. Maybe then you could throw him out from this hand. If he calls the flop, I have a problem what to do, because the turn isn't good card. Opponent often will have a flush, but we should continue our aggression and I think it is worth to risk and to make a next bet. If he calls the turn I probably check/fold the river, because I'm sure that he has better hand, usually a flush.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that you shouldn't slow play your set. So here two options: I play donkbet or check/raise, because there is FD. Maybe then you could throw him out from this hand. If he calls the flop, I have a problem what to do, because the turn isn't good card. Opponent often will have a flush, but we should continue our aggression and I think it is worth to risk and to make a next bet. If he calls the turn I probably check/fold the river, because I'm sure that he has better hand, usually a flush.

Well, the greed got the better of me, and it usually punishes itself in an instant.
The thing is I had a solid read on this guy, so I was sure I had him beat on the turn and I was right.
To bad he had to hit his damn eight lol.

Cheers

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given it's 3 way and we're first to act, I'd like a donk bet here or x/r if we're confident villain is going to bet the flop nearly always.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot think of a good reason why I wouldn't be shipping the flop after you get the bet that you expect him to make. I want calls from the flush draws, straight draws and single pair hands, all of which would likely call you here, should you c/r this flop.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot think of a good reason why I wouldn't be shipping the flop after you get the bet that you expect him to make. I want calls from the flush draws, straight draws and single pair hands, all of which would likely call you here, should you c/r this flop.

Well, maybe I should have c/r the flop, but I don't think he would call it at all.
Yes I would have lived deeper into the tourney, but I expected to be payed handsomly by this guy, since he was just donking all the way with almost anything. And I was right about it aswell.
I was just so sure I would win that, double up and make my way to the final table....

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop is very optional for me as we are not getting quite the right price to set mine. But if you are confident in your ability to outplay this guy that is a different story.

flop, I think it's generally unwise to slowplay a set on a textured board in a multiway pot....there is 1 exception...if you are in a "check to the raiser" situation and you can rely on that raiser to Cbet 100% of the time then you can go for a check raise to simultaneously gain value AND protect your hand.

the beauty of check raising here is that it confounds your opponents, they don't know if you just have a monster draw, a monster, or a bluff.

It also protects your hand better than any other move.

But the main reason I'd prefer the check-raise to the check-call here is because of stack sizes.

You're simply not deep enough for the check-call to look normal- it looks crazy strong; in fact I'd venture a guess that a check raise on this flop will get you more action than a check-call which basically turns your hand face up "hey look....I've got a monster and I desperately don't want to scare you away. I'm not even afraid of the wet board. please put more chips in this pot for me. pretty please"

as it turns out, you DID outplay him, your strategy worked in this instance and you got your money in good and got delivered a bad beat. In general though, don't expect this line to work very often.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop is very optional for me as we are not getting quite the right price to set mine. But if you are confident in your ability to outplay this guy that is a different story.

flop, I think it's generally unwise to slowplay a set on a textured board in a multiway pot....there is 1 exception...if you are in a "check to the raiser" situation and you can rely on that raiser to Cbet 100% of the time then you can go for a check raise to simultaneously gain value AND protect your hand.

the beauty of check raising here is that it confounds your opponents, they don't know if you just have a monster draw, a monster, or a bluff.

It also protects your hand better than any other move.

But the main reason I'd prefer the check-raise to the check-call here is because of stack sizes.

You're simply not deep enough for the check-call to look normal- it looks crazy strong; in fact I'd venture a guess that a check raise on this flop will get you more action than a check-call which basically turns your hand face up "hey look....I've got a monster and I desperately don't want to scare you away. I'm not even afraid of the wet board. please put more chips in this pot for me. pretty please"

as it turns out, you DID outplay him, your strategy worked in this instance and you got your money in good and got delivered a bad beat. In general though, don't expect this line to work very often.

Hello and thanks for the feedback!
I can see what you mean, I do have issues with people playing correct in theese situations, but thankfully this guy didn't really pay any attention either so I guess I was pretty lucky with him doing what I expected him to.
I'm not sure if a more experienced player would shove after a check call like that. And I haven't really been paying any attention to stack sizes in theese tourneys sadly.. :)
I have to learn that I think...

Cheers

B

BladeCheb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not 100% sure but i think so... no mistake

GGC2912

GGC2912

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a set, I always bet the pot or a little more with a str8 draw or flush draw on board.........make it hard for the other guy to chase

Ofc, if its a dry flop, well slow play :)

B

byrnsiey330

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like on the turn I would have been very nervous for a flush.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didnt see any mistake here. He was just lucky.
Even lets say he is drawing for flush, you are also drawing for fullhouse which beats his supposed flush.