$Freeroll NLHE MTT: How do you play when villain cbet when pair is on flop?

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hello, When I see pair on flop and my opponents cbet I play floating with possitions (call in flop and when check in turn I bet). I see what many players fold this. Sometimes I raise when villain cbet when pair in flop. I play this always when villain not bet or 3bet preflop and I play this with agressive fish or donk. Sometimes I raise to Al. How do you play when villain cbet when pair is on flop?

BTN: t655 4.37 BBs
SB: t3450 23 BBs
BB: t8584 57.23 BBs
UTG: t1415 9.43 BBs
UTG+1: t2788 18.59 BBs
UTG+2: t1400 9.33 BBs
Hero (MP1): t7603 50.69 BBs
MP2: t1320 8.80 BBs
CO: t1695 11.30 BBs

Pre Flop: (t225) Hero is MP1 with K :spade: Q :spade:
3 folds, Hero raises to t345, 4 folds, BB calls t195

Flop: (t765) T :heart: T :club: 5 :spade: (2 players)
BB bets t750, Hero calls t750

Turn: (t2265) A :diamond: (2 players)
BB bets t2250, Hero raises to t6508 all in, BB folds

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is known as a "donk bet".

It really depends on the villain, but in this hand, it really doesn't make a lot of sesne to bet pot if he had a T, so at best it's a pocket pair over a 5 or 5x here. But alot of the time people just try to play aggressive and just randomly bluff. Or they read that paired boards are good to bluff on, so they try their best to do so. So it really depends on the differing villians, but in general donk bets from aggressive players are generally weaker ranges, but don't be fooled into thinking you can take everypot away from players who donk bet, you might be suprised at what players are capable of callingw ith.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow what a strong donk bet by villain on the flop !! I would not have the guts to call that, let alone make that shove on the turn. What balls !! :toilet: I would make a meek laydown on the flop to be honest. Too risky - maybe i have become a knit. :bath:
Very gutsy play - you must have a good read on the villain.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your instincts are correct about paired boards and I agree with WiZZiM about typical donk bets.

I actually donk-bluff OOP at a lot of paired boards like this and it works quite well. Remind me not to do it against you!

Especially a board so dry as this I think it's fine to float with 2 overs. Almost Nobody would donkbet the pot if they flopped a T so I'd put him on a small pocket pair or Ax.

Once the A hits the turn and he bets again I'd probably just fold, but you trusted your read and made a gutsy play. Virtually every pocket pair will fold here so you're just making a bet that he doesn't have a T or an ace and that's probably a good bet.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Looks like spew to me this line.

As for how to play vs donk bets, ask yourself this. If the guy has donk bet trips here, full houses or even two pair. Do you think he's folding when we shove on the turn? Unlikely.

My typical line in this spot would be to call the flop bet for sure, we are ahead a lot with k high and even if he is donk betting like 44 or some random hand we are ahead of for example, we have decent equity from board pairing or our 6 outs to KQ. As for turn, probably just told. No need to shove over imo, looks like spew.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I actually donk-bluff OOP at a lot of paired boards like this and it works quite well. Remind me not to do it against you!

I have never really understood the logic in the donk bet on these sort of dry paired boards. I think it's Christmas when someone OOP elects to donk bet these boards and I have anything to just float with IP. Unless you defend really really wide and have a hand like 34s which has little to no equity in this spot it makes no sense to do it unless of course you have a read someone just folds to donk bets all of the time and I guess it's ok but this is rarely the case . What sort of hands do you donk lead with in these sort of spots ?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never really understood the logic in the donk bet on these sort of dry paired boards. I think it's Christmas when someone OOP elects to donk bet these boards and I have anything to just float with IP. Unless you defend really really wide and have a hand like 34s which has little to no equity in this spot it makes no sense to do it unless of course you have a read someone just folds to donk bets all of the time and I guess it's ok but this is rarely the case . What sort of hands do you donk lead with in these sort of spots ?

Well, The games I play in I get a lot of folds. It doesn't really matter so much to me what I have; more concerned with whether this flop missed their perceived range and whether I expect them to play straightforwardly.

Like so many things in poker this situation is more dependent on my opponent than my cards. I wouldn't try this vs a sticky calling station or a tough opponent. But then, I already make a point not to bluff calling stations and I already make a point not to call raises OOP vs tough players without a good plan.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think there are times to do this beyond just those trash hands where you have little to no equity. For instance I might defend my blind with a lot of J9 type hands (1 over card, or a backdoor draw) that have some equity but cannot stand to check/call. So the donk bet is essentially my one attempt to win the pot with a hand that can't call a bet. If they raise me, easy fold. If they flat I'm done with the hand unless I improve on the turn/river.