$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Help me stop this AJo leak

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt - Cardschat.com $200 Freeroll (#214682228) - Blinds: 20/40 No Limit Hold'em (7 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: t3,245
BB: t1,615
UTG: t1,340
MP: t1,380
MP+1 Hero: t1,475
CO: t1,125
BTN: t5,055

Pre-flop: (t60) Hero is MP+1 and dealt :ac4: :js4:
2 folds, Hero calls t40, CO folds, BTN raises to t120, SB calls t100, BB folds

Flop: (t320) :7c4: :6s4: :2c4: (2 players)
SB checks, BTN bets t160, SB folds, BTN returned t160

(Sorry there isn't more to analyze, but I folded when raised by BTN.)

It's important to note that the BTN was playing tight aggressive (not loose).

In doing my own analysis of my hand, I think these were my problems:

1. I limped.
2. I was in with a marginal hand with an aggressive chip leader behind me (i.e. bad position).
3. I did the above two when the blinds were still low.

I think I stopped this leak by not doing the things listed above. But with some aggression on this type of hand, are there any suggestions for actually getting something out of it? Or should I just fold and forget about it?

Last night's game was my first in over a year and it this leak appeared more than once, so I'd like to take care of it. :)

Thanks for any help/input!

-Dave

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah limping is bad in most cases, and this isn't an exception. If Villian is a TAG he could have a wider range seeing as he's on the button and there is a limper. I like to raise A8s+, A10o+ and high suited cards and some suited connectors too.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78/micro-stakes-full-ring/concept-week-6-isolating-limpers-431379/

This article is great, high recommend a read.

Anyway in MP+1 AJo is marginal raising hand and depends on how confident you are in post-flop play, if you can laydown a big(ish) hand and how active the other opponents are.

As for the fold I think I prefer it to calling OOP and not knowing if you're beat when an Ace hits so as played fold preflop, but in future raise/fold.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I am raising from the hijack with AJ. As for folding after the button raise I like for sure no need playing marginal hands OOP when rarely we will have a clue where we are at post flop.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This article is great, high recommend a read.

WOW! Great article, thanks for the link! LOL! Makes me feel like an idiot! :) But it makes total sense. Unless the table is letting you get away with set-mining on the cheap, there's just no reason to limp in normal cases.

As for the fold I think I prefer it to calling OOP and not knowing if you're beat when an Ace hits so as played fold preflop, but in future raise/fold.

Yeah, I figured once the BTN had figured out that I had a hand I was unsure of, it was too late to overcome that so I folded. I knew I had messed up as soon as the raise came. Next time I'll know it before I place my bet, which is a much better time to figure it out.

Personally I am raising from the hijack with AJ. As for folding after the button raise I like for sure no need playing marginal hands OOP when rarely we will have a clue where we are at post flop.

Would you take into account that the large stack was sitting on the button? That's a tangle I'd rather avoid with AJo. I guess it would come down to how much I know my opponent and how comfortable I feel playing that hand. We were still pretty early on, so it would be hard to tell if a raise plus a c-bet would take it down.

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I think AJo in a better position is a raise, or if I know I've got a weak player on the button. Or of course if I'm short stacked. Otherwise, fold away. :)