Replay this hand on CardsChat

BobbyLupoontilt (UTG): 114,067 (76 bb)
pride1999 (MP): 8,012 (5 bb)
CSLysander (CO): 24,713 (16 bb)
Mozart326 (BU): 41,046 (27 bb)
Dale1976 (SB): 22,946 (15 bb)
zeist2 (BB): 119,628 (80 bb)

Pre-Flop: (3,150) Hero (CSLysander) is CO with J A
2 players fold, CSLysander (CO) raises to 3,000, 2 players fold, zeist2 (BB) calls 1,500

Flop: (7,650) K Q 4 (2 players)
zeist2 (BB) checks, CSLysander (CO) checks

Turn: (7,650) 7 (2 players)

River: (7,650) 2 (2 players)
zeist2 (BB) checks, CSLysander (CO) bets 1,500, zeist2 (BB) calls 1,500

Total pot: 10,650

Showdown:
CSLysander (CO) shows J A (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 25%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 27%, River: 100%)

zeist2 (BB) shows K A (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 75%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 73%, River: 0%)

CSLysander (CO) wins 10,650

Could I have played this different?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 750/1,500 (150 ante) - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

BobbyLupoontilt (UTG): 114,067 (76 bb)
pride1999 (MP): 8,012 (5 bb)
CSLysander (CO): 24,713 (16 bb)
Mozart326 (BU): 41,046 (27 bb)
Dale1976 (SB): 22,946 (15 bb)
zeist2 (BB): 119,628 (80 bb)

Pre-Flop: (3,150) Hero (CSLysander) is CO with J A
2 players fold, CSLysander (CO) raises to 3,000, 2 players fold, zeist2 (BB) calls 1,500

Flop: (7,650) K Q 4 (2 players)

Turn: (7,650) 7 (2 players)

River: (7,650) 2 (2 players)
zeist2 (BB) checks, CSLysander (CO) bets 1,500, zeist2 (BB) calls 1,500

Total pot: 10,650

Showdown:
CSLysander (CO) shows J A (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 25%, Flop: 20%, Turn: 27%, River: 100%)

zeist2 (BB) shows K A (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 75%, Flop: 80%, Turn: 73%, River: 0%)

CSLysander (CO) wins 10,650

Could I have played this different?

Thank U 4 Posting

Very passive BB so the check back on the flop and turn are good versus this V if you know they are capable of playing premium hands this way. Did you know it?
Is your player pool calling tight ranges from the BB?
If you knew this player was passive would they also fold pairs qx and below to 2 bets turn and river when the flush card came?

If so you may want to be small size betting turn and bombing river even if you miss all your draws. AK is never folding but if your V's can fold they should fold to that action.

Hope this helps
:):)

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Half the time I am unsure what people are going to do. This person was erratic most of the time.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would lean towards betting the flop, some small amount like 3k to 3.3k to see what happens and try to get folds. Turns out in this case it would have been bad to bet as we will never know if villain was planning to check raise or not (they played this uber passive so maybe they werent planning that). Once it gets to the turn checked to us as played I like checking behind because now the deck is playing in our favor with us thinking our overcard is good along with what would be the 2nd nut flush. The river I disagree with the sizing as I know you are trying to get a call there and thinking that you are going against very little so the small bet sizing thinking process is correct but its too small. If villain is going to call 1500 there they probably will also call 2500 there.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Min-raising and jamming with a 16BB stack can both be fine.

Flop
Checking and making a standard C-bet can both be fine. You definitely have some showdown value with the nut nothing, so you dont HAVE to bet. If the opponent likes to do a lot of check-raising, I prefer to check back. If the opponent folds a lot to C-bets, I prefer a C-bet to simply end the hand a lot of the time.

Turn
Yet another close decision. When he check to you again, the chances goes up, you have the best hand, but having a heart somewhat decrease the need for protection. So I probably lean towards checking back as well.

River
You made the second nut flush, and you definitely need to bet for value. But this is where, I think, you made a mistake in the hand. You only bet 20% pot, and this is leaving money on the table. Given how small the pot is, I prefer a sizable bet here like 65% to 75% pot. Make it look like, you are using the scary runout to steal the pot. Sure he will probably fold more often to a larger sizing, but if he call 75% pot half as often as 20% pot, you still generate way more value in the long run.

A

andrestc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: I think I would shove on this situation given how shallow we are and how big BB is; I think they might call us with weaker hands and they can apply some pressure postflop. If you think they are too passive I'm ok with min raising.

Flop: Although we are very shallow effective, we have a backdoor flush draw and a gutshot. I might use this hand as a small cbet to get folds from complete airs, 22-33.

Turn: i'm okay with the check.

River: I would go bigger here, 60-75% since we didn't bet before. If we had bet on the flop, we could set up a nice jam here.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Half the time I am unsure what people are going to do. This person was erratic most of the time.

Thank U 4 Responding.

Erratic play by our V including not raising premium hands in spots like this requires us to learn to take exploitative actions in as you stated 50% of scenarios.

So your check back flop is fine as hitting your hand and getting paid becomes more likely by the way your villains play.

On the turn we should not expect our V to raise as the heart is a scare card and the V is playing most spots passively. Therefore we should bet the turn small with this hand as our V will be folding small pairs to 2 bets turn and river often enough for us to be able to bluff enough rivers.
If this player is passive enough they may even fold AK when we make our bluff look like value at 3/4 pot.
Yes we will lose sometimes to a weak flush when we bluff but we will also be winning more when we make a better flush on the river and our bet becomes a value bet Same sizing as the bluff as we are targeting stronger made hands for value and still getting folds from the weaker made hands. We do not try to get value from their whole range with a small bet as we will make more from getting the bigger bet paid and the bluffs working at that size.

Hope this helps
:):)

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys. My biggest leak is betting. I need to learn to bet better to gain more chips and lose less. These are making me think more on what I need to do.