$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Folding Ace in Freeroll

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was early chip leader in an MTT where top 4 players get a $109 ticket - ranked 1/~1600 at the time. 3 players ahead of me pushed, but they didn't have anywhere near my stack. I liked my cards but folded, thinking it was a lottery and one of the three villains would hit their out and I'd miss.

As it happens, I hit and would have won the hand. In hindsight since all 3 villains had about the equal stack, I would have been risking only 1/5th of my stack but would have won 9k for it - so was folding here the right call, or the wrong call?

888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (10 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 3,000 (30 bb)
UTG+1: 2,986 (30 bb)
MP: 2,992 (30 bb)
MP+1: 2,989 (30 bb)
LP: 2,974 (30 bb)
CO: 3,000 (30 bb)
BU: 2,934 (29 bb)
SB: 2,939 (29 bb)
BB (Hero): 15,180 (152 bb)

Pre-Flop: (240) Hero is BB with A 9
UTG raises to 2,990 (all-in), 1 fold, MP calls 2,982 (all-in), 4 players fold, SB calls 2,879 (all-in), BB (Hero) folds

Flop: (9,083) Q Q 9 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Turn: (9,083) A (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: (9,083) 6 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: 9,083

Showdown:
UTG shows 5 8 (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 21%, Flop: 40%, Turn: 19%, River: 0%)

SB shows A J (two pair, Aces and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 50%, Flop: 50%, Turn: 81%, River: 100%)

MP shows 7 8 (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 10%, Turn: <1%, River: 0%)

UTG wins 53
SB wins 8,977
MP wins 53

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all dont be so results oriented. You have also shared a hand, where you got it in preflop with AA and then lost. And now you are "rabbit hunting", which is the term for focusing on the runout, after you folded. But folding A9o to this action is a good and standard play, and you would not even have gotten it in good, since SB had AJ.

Finally you would not have won the hand. The hand, you would potentially have made, is a counterfeited two pair, which is sometimes called the "3 pair hand" for fun. Because obviously the issue is, you can only use 5 cards to make a hand, so there is no such thing as "3 pair" in NLH. You would have made AAQQ9, which lose to the AAQQJ of SB.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was the right call.. 3,000 to win 9,000 where you are always going to be significantly behind (~15% or worse 4-handed to win) likely due to a stronger ace or a 9s+ pocket pair.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all dont be so results oriented. You have also shared a hand, where you got it in preflop with AA and then lost. And now you are "rabbit hunting", which is the term for focusing on the runout, after you folded. But folding A9o to this action is a good and standard play, and you would not even have gotten it in good, since SB had AJ.

Finally you would not have won the hand. The hand, you would potentially have made, is a counterfeited two pair, which is sometimes called the "3 pair hand" for fun. Because obviously the issue is, you can only use 5 cards to make a hand, so there is no such thing as "3 pair" in NLH. You would have made AAQQ9, which lose to the AAQQJ of SB.
Thank you for the feedback again, and smerald too. I'm not sharing too many hands for feedback am I? Just started analysing my hands after the fact so this is all new to me. Mainly it's about when or whether to play All In that I'm thinking about in both threads, rather than the result itself.

Good point thank you about the three pair. I was overlooking the QQ so just thought about the fact my 9 "hit" while his J didn't. But of course you're right that the AAQQ renders the 9 or J as no more than a Kicker in this situation so the J beats the 9.

Need to pay closer attention to that, I didn't even think about it!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Need to pay closer attention to that, I didn't even think about it!

Dont worry, this is a mistake, nearly every poker player has made at some point. At least it did not cost you anything, since you were not involved in the hand :)

Folding in Poker