$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Out in 4 Hands - what did I do wrong?

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a story from our (CC) freeroll on party poker.
A great game with a $200 ticket and $100 in the prize pool.

I came a bit late - BB was 60 - and this is what happened:

JUST 4 HANDS!

Hand 1 - 99 in BB - button raised (120) - I called - flop 44J - I bet (195) - button raises (390) - I call ... Turn Q... I check button bets (877) - I fold

Hand 2 - thanks poker gods - 45 off in SB - folded of course

Hand 3 - button got AT - 3 limpers I limp too (BB is 60); SB bets 850 all-in - all fold to me - I call he has AQ and wins

Hand 4 - in cut-off got AJ - all fold to me - I go all-in the button (the AQ guy from above ) calls - he has TT and wins - and I am out.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 - there is no need for you to lead out on the flop. Check to the pre-flop aggressor and call down at least one street.

Hand 3 - why would you call a 14BB shove with AT. You are behind the majority of villains range and this will very rarely be a profitable call.

Hand 4 - you are tilting a bit and shove although presumably you have made yourself short so understandable to a point. Mostly you get folds but you are only getting called by flips or better. It was a flip and you lost.

If you play hands 1 & 3 differently you don't shove hand 4 and you carry on in the tournament so, imo, your wounds were all self inflicted.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you say the size all stacks, without size it is difficult to say something.

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you say the size all stacks, without size it is difficult to say something.

Was early in the game - no huge stack differences - but here is are the stacks at the first hand:
I felt that full hand detail will not add material information to the hand - (just too much reading for the info alue)

***** Hand History for Game 14585177794 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny: 117284462 Level: 3 Blinds(30/60) - Saturday, May 23, 14:25:34 EDT 2015
Table CardsChat Depositors Freeroll............. (117284462) Table #5 (real money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 9/9
Seat 8: AtiFCOD ( 3,440 )
Seat 4: FreeRollManiac ( 2,910 )
Seat 6: I8PeterPan ( 2,560 )
Seat 2: IvanShovski ( 2,770 )
Seat 5: WeenieSVK1 ( 3,000 )
Seat 1: ls0418 ( 3,410 )
Seat 7: spurs4ever6 ( 7,630 )
Seat 3: tutticz1 ( 3,270 )
Seat 9: vegas_jj ( 3,000 )
Trny: 117284462 Level: 3
Blinds(30/60)

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks very much for the comment! Appreciate it.
I would like to share my thoughts (not as a "rebattle") so perhaps somone can help me even more with the root of my problem - something wrong with my thoughts... Please the notes in blue font.

Hand 1 - there is no need for you to lead out on the flop. Check to the pre-flop aggressor and call down at least one street.
I was thinking to spoil the likely steal attempt made by the button. Once he re-raised, I re-assessed and gave credit to his hand still called his re-raise - because based on the size it felt chips well spent to see turn.

Hand 3 - why would you call a 14BB shove with AT. You are behind the majority of villains range and this will very rarely be a profitable call.
With 3 limpers in the pot I was thinking that the SB player who is very short has a great spot and will very likely shove with a real weak hand that I have a fair chance to beat and regain chips I just blew (need)

Hand 4 - you are tilting a bit and shove although presumably you have made yourself short so understandable to a point. Mostly you get folds but you are only getting called by flips or better. It was a flip and you lost.

If you play hands 1 & 3 differently you don't shove hand 4 and you carry on in the tournament so, imo, your wounds were all self inflicted.
"your wounds were all self inflicted" somehow I know they were - you are so right - I am trying to dig a bit deeper to get why am I being my own enemy.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Need to change the thinking (imo)
ie. 'get back chips I just blew' change this to "is this play +ev". Get rid of the emotional attachment. (who cares if you just 'blew chips'... move on & play the next spot the best way possible)

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by PBG789

I was thinking to spoil the likely steal attempt made by the button. Once he re-raised, I re-assessed and gave credit to his hand still called his re-raise - because based on the size it felt chips well spent to see turn.

It's your first hand so you have no reads on the villain so you have no idea if this is a steal or not. If you check villain is likely to continue for half pot and you then call and re-assess on the turn - 195 chips saved. When you lead out and villain raises the amount he did this screams value and that he wants a call. By my calcs there would be 855 in pot and you need 195 to call. Given you are probably behind and have about an 18% chance of hitting a 9 your call is just about mathematically ok. You obviously have to fold the turn.

With 3 limpers in the pot I was thinking that the SB player who is very short has a great spot and will very likely shove with a real weak hand that I have a fair chance to beat and regain chips I just blew (need)
As Orifice has already pointed out this says you are tilting from hand 1 and your call is based on that. Just realised you were a limper. You were the button with AT and 2 limpers in front of you which is probably a spot where you should be raising but, as played, folding to the shove is the only correct response.

"your wounds were all self inflicted" somehow I know they were - you are so right - I am trying to dig a bit deeper to get why am I being my own enemy.

Think you still had about 1500 chips left at this point which is 25BB so you don't need to be in shove/fold mode yet. You certainly don't need to shove AJ but you were obviously totally tilted by this point.

You say in your post that you arrived to the tournament a little late and it seems you have tried to make up for this in your first few hands by overplaying your holdings. So ask yourself these questions:

Were you really in the right frame of mind to play?

Why did you tilt after 1 hand when you almost certainly lost to a better hand?

You need to play each hand on its own merits so why are you chasing "lost" chips?

Why did you shove AJ with 25BB - is this an optimum play?

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for REAL GOOD USEFUL points you made!

Really appreciate it, thanks for taking the time to be so thorough

I will try to use it!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands