$Freeroll NLHE MTT: cc100 freeroll early stages, laydown Rockets?

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if he bets half pot im ready to call but all in? I know this is just freeroll but i take them seriously

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (2 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

KozakAlex (UTG): 2,000 (100 bb)
Mootso (UTG+1): 2,000 (100 bb)
poisonn_86 (MP): 2,000 (100 bb)
Schnickser12 (MP+1): 2,000 (100 bb)
PRrock1 (CO): 2,000 (100 bb)
Claudiunm (BU): 2,000 (100 bb)
kristersb123 (SB): 2,000 (100 bb)
mervin88 (BB): 2,000 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: (46) Hero (mervin88) is BB with A A
KozakAlex (UTG) calls 20, 4 players fold, Claudiunm (BU) calls 20, 1 fold, mervin88 (BB) raises to 140, KozakAlex (UTG) calls 120, Claudiunm (BU) calls 120

Flop: (446) 7 7 3 (3 players)
mervin88 (BB) bets 223, KozakAlex (UTG) folds, Claudiunm (BU) calls 223

Turn: (892) 8 (2 players)
mervin88 (BB) bets 223, Claudiunm (BU) calls 223

River: (1,338) J (2 players)
mervin88 (BB) checks, Claudiunm (BU) bets 1,412 (all-in), mervin88 (BB) folds

Total pot: 1,338
Claudiunm (BU) wins 1,338

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
After ten thousand tourneys plus played I can say I never won one after folding AA pre flop!!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard raise of course, like the big sizing.

Flop and turn
A paired board is not the greatest thing for an overpair, because it means, fewer hands connected, and some of those, that did, are now trips, which beat us. So my plan here would probably be to check either flop or turn for pot control. Your turn bet was so small though, that it was almost like a check anyway.

River
I think, there are two reasonable lines here. One is to bet quite small for value to get called by weak pairs like A3 or 44-66 and then probably fold to a raise. The other option is to check-call to allow him to bluff with busted draws or value own himself, if he backed into top pair with a hand like JX of spades.

Even though its a slight overbet, I think, check-folding is a bit to weak-tight here. This is early in a freeroll, and people do lots of crazy stuff, so I cant give this guy credit for only having hands, that beat you. I think, if he had trips, he would often have raised you on the flop or turn, especially when your turn bet was so small, so I kind of discount that a little bit.

I am also not super worried about T9, because I dont see, how T9 call a flop bet, unless its T9 of spades exactly. And if he does in fact call with a random float like T9, then he has a ton of other hands on the river, that either have no showdown value and need to bluff, or that accidentally made top pair. Maybe he can even have J8, which made top two, and which you beat. So as played I am calling here, and if my aces got cracked, I just live with the result :)

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
but he can't bet half pot in the river, both of you are pot committed...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but he can't bet half pot in the river, both of you are pot committed...

Maybe not pot committed, but he cant bet a size like 800 chips, because then he would be pot committed, if he get check-jammed on, but he would also be beat. So typically its best to avoid creating such a situation, where all your options suck. With the effective stacks the reasonable bet sizes on the river is either to go very small like just 300-400 chips or move all-in. And therefore this slight overbet is not nearly as strong a line, as it would be, if both had say 3.000 chips behind rather than 1.400.

Also as an addition to my original post, the way Hero played his hand, he signaled a lot of weakness after the flop. If Villain can hand read, Heros hand look most like a AK/AQ type deal, which raise preflop, fire the "standard" C-bet and then kind of give up, when it has still missed the board completely. So this is certainly a line, that can induce bluffs.

Its also worth noting, that it was the player last to act, who continued on the flop, which will typically be a wider range than, if the in between player had continued, since he still had someone behind him left to act. Its not completely unreasonable for BTN to float the flop with even just two overcards like a QT type hand. And when Hero bet so small on the turn, he is of course calling again, and then he can just bomb the river and take it down.

So even though this is a freeroll, and it seem like a recreational opponent, this line can absolutely be a bluff. And then Hero also need to think about, which hands he is check-calling river with, if not AA? And the realistic answer is either none or maybe JJ exactly, if Hero decided to trap with top boat. And thats just not enough hands to call with, when you have taken a line, that signal weakness and open the door for the opponent to make a move.