nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To shove or not to shove.
Pros: So many chips already in the pot; I'm short-stacked; likely this hand is among the higher range of hands I'll see before I'm totally chipped out. It's a shove in any other tournament. Right?
Cons: This is league. Points matter. There are about 4 other players in the game with lower chip stacks. Folding potentially lets me move up a place or two.

What would you do here?

Screen shot shows the equity, not a piece of information I had readily in my head during actual play.

d75f9c49dc1a4e1f3b70f3bed8c80a0e.png

https://gyazo.com/d75f9c49dc1a4e1f3b70f3bed8c80a0e

PokerStars - 125/250 Ante 30 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 8,385
Hero (BB): 1,852
UTG: 2,827
UTG+1: 4,482
MP: 2,617
CO: 4,736
BTN: 4,365

7 players post ante of 30, SB posts SB 125, Hero posts BB 250

Pre Flop: (pot: 585) Hero has K T

fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 500, SB raises to 1,250. What should the hero do?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Rock and a hard place Deb.
Having witnessed a standard raise then a re-raise I think we have to conclude we are behind both with KTu.
The button raise might have been a steal, but the SB re-raise had to be something like JJ+ AK and AQ.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Okee here, seeing an open and a re-pop, I would fold here. The only thing I would say however, buttons tend to open more speculative hands, and knowing this....the SB can exploit that and re-raise. Something I've learned from watching streams of other players, the SB play is the play to steal chips or fold. They rarely just call.

I'm okay with the fold and picking a different spot, just gotta be mindful of the mind games and dynamics of those two positions.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing just a BTN open and with a 7BB stack, I would either jam KTo or just call and then run a stop-and-go on any favourable flop. However when SB has some in for a 3-bet, we are facing a much stronger range, and we have no fold equity, so we need to get out of the way.

L

liviuplayspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly i would fold KTo and call with KTs. This could be a mistake but i think that SB would raise with AQos+ JJ+, and i dont want to get against this Kind of Hands but i unterstand if someone would shove, it can be a mistake or not, but i know i would never call because you would fold to a 4bet and this not what you want

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually folded in this hand, and appreciate all your responses. I was feeling strongly that the fold was the wrong move, but now I'm feeling a lot better about it.

At the time, it felt like I was unlikely to have an advantage and felt that the fold was the right move. But when I revisited the hand and saw the equity calculator (maybe it's wrong??) I thought it might have been the wrong move.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But when I revisited the hand and saw the equity calculator (maybe it's wrong??) I thought it might have been the wrong move.

The equity calculator assume, an unseen hand is any two random cards, which is very far from true, when action has already taken place. Performing an equity calculation here is not particularly simple, since BTN might either fold or come along, so we are either going to be involved in a 3-way pot or a 2-way pot with some dead chips in it.

However the most favourable outcome for us is obviously, that BTN fold, so lets pull out Equilab, which is a free program, you can download from pokerstrategy.com, and plug in a range for SB. For me it actually looks super strong, that he comes in for this sizing rather than move all in, when his opponents both start with well under 20BB.

But to again make the situation as favourable for us as possible, I am going to assume a somewhat wide 3-betting range anyway. 66+, AT+, KQ, A2s+, KJs, QJs. Against that range KTo has 34,6% equity. We are putting in 1.572 chips to win a pot of 2 x 1.572 + 1.210 = 4.354 chips, which mean we need 36,1% equity to break even in raw chip EV. So as you can see even with all these very favourable assumptions and without taking ICM into account, getting it in with KTo would not be profitable.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion considering you are so short stacked, that's a fold from the beginning. K 10 off is not a hand to play when short stacked. I would fold even if it was suited. I might be wrong but that is how I play. Other than that, in this big 3 way pot I would fold after those raises and wait for a better spot. That's the risk if you play hands like this, you get squeezed by better hands and end up having to lose a significant part of your short stack.