$Freeroll NLHE MTT: CC freeroll, line check please!!

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, I was playing on tablet so had to ask abdi to send me the HH, therefore it's from his view, I'm in MP2 and have QQ with a diamond. Guy who lost the pot said my turn check was poor, I don't agree but am willing to get a second opinion. Cheers.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

MP2 (t4,560)
CO (t5,255)
Button (t4,515)
SB (t1,025)
BB (t2,475)
Hero (UTG) (t1,115)
UTG+1 (t7,580)
MP1 (t2,405)

Hero's M: 7.43

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5
heart.gif
, 4
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 calls t100, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t299, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls t199

Flop: (t748) 4
diamond.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
, 6
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets t600, UTG+1 calls t600

Turn: (t1,948) 8
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks

River: (t1,948) K
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG+1 bets t200, MP2 raises to t600, UTG+1 calls t400

Total pot: t3,148

Results below:
UTG+1 didn't show
MP2 had Q
club.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(flush, King high).
Outcome: MP2 won t3,148

Utg+1 had 10h9d

S

shalimarclown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you mean flush queen high right? either way i think if you had bet there would be a high likelihood you would get villain to fold (in this case its obvious his straight and his middle 9 high flush made him willing to call a possible bluff) I think you did alright...i would be equally afraid of a king or ace of diamond.

If I were him however I would consider bluffing considerably...pot size or more...i just think he thought your turn bet was bad because he had you on a bluff on the river and made a bad call...if i were villain it would have been instafold or all in. calling is bad here.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok....the way I understand it is you have the 4th nuts on the turn. You are either way ahead or way behind and the only card that is really bad for you on the river is the :5d4: which causes a chopped pot. So, let's not worry about 1 out for a chop and just say that your situation is extremely polarized. You're way ahead or way behind.

pairing the board on the river could also be a problem...

but the way I see it, checking the turn is brilliant because it controls the pot size and minimizes your loss when you are beat. The times that you are WAAAAY ahead (most of the time) it adds a layer of deception to your strong hand that might earn you extra value later. Might cause your opponent to bluff at you, or call you with a weak diamond if he believes that you were weak on the turn.

or....a simpler way of putting it: I think a bet on the turn only gets called when you are beat.

13anurag

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok....the way I understand it is you have the 4th nuts on the turn. You are either way ahead or way behind and the only card that is really bad for you on the river is the :5d4: which causes a chopped pot. So, let's not worry about 1 out for a chop and just say that your situation is extremely polarized. You're way ahead or way behind.

pairing the board on the river could also be a problem...

but the way I see it, checking the turn is brilliant because it controls the pot size and minimizes your loss when you are beat. The times that you are WAAAAY ahead (most of the time) it adds a layer of deception to your strong hand that might earn you extra value later. Might cause your opponent to bluff at you, or call you with a weak diamond if he believes that you were weak on the turn.

or....a simpler way of putting it: I think a bet on the turn only gets called when you are beat.

I agree with what you said Jacki, In this spot, a check on the turn is a great play in the long run!

It also gives the villain a chance to bluff at the pot on the river rather than folding the turn, incase he does not have a diamond.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you lost value by not betting the turn you should probably just bet every street for value and there are so many other hands and worse diamonds he can call. It sets up a nice river pot size shove to if you bet the turn given it's 40bb effective pre flop you want to build a pot and create a nice double up for yourself.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course your check on the turn was bad. Because you got more value out of him on the river :p which obviously will annoy any villain getting trap checked on the turn. Villain gets tempted on the river so tries to value bet 9 high but to his shock gets value raised :D by Q high flush. Anybody will get annoyed if you tempt them into making such mistakes after which they will comment something like, "What a poor check on the turn." POOR VILLAIN !!;)

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, the turn check actually seems fine to me, for reasons mentioned above. The raise on the river makes sense since he showed such weakness with his bet- it seems like a very thin value bet, so you can be pretty sure you are ahead.

It's hard to think of worse hands that would call a bet on the turn- it seems like if he were to call on the turn, you'd have to check behind on the river if he checked to you. So your logic was sound, since this way gets more value out of worse hands (the river bet) and controls the pot if he's got you beat.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never, EVER, worry about what a guy has to say about your play in the hand he just lost to you.

There were possibilities for you to lose that hand, so the passive check on the turn is the issue, and the non shove on the river is probably just how many of us would play that hand.

Also notice whatever he had was not worthy of a shove from him......

Ignore that particular comment from the loser.

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you lost value by not betting the turn you should probably just bet every street for value and there are so many other hands and worse diamonds he can call. It sets up a nice river pot size shove to if you bet the turn given it's 40bb effective pre flop you want to build a pot and create a nice double up for yourself.
I agree with the fact that i lost value, but not too sure i can river jam and get many worse hands to call, Only hands i can see calling are the J and A..
Thanks anyway

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never, EVER, worry about what a guy has to say about your play in the hand he just lost to you.

There were possibilities for you to lose that hand, so the passive check on the turn is the issue, and the non shove on the river is probably just how many of us would play that hand.

Also notice whatever he had was not worthy of a shove from him......
Ignore that particular comment from the loser.
;) i wasn't worried what he had to say that much, just wondered if there was anyway i could of extracted more value and the line i took seemed weird...

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doubt you could have extracted any value after the turn from any hand other than 10 or Jack of diamonds.
And you can't know if the Ace or 5 of diamonds will try to value you.
In fact you were lucky to get such a loose unbelieving bluff catching call on the river.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, I was playing on tablet so had to ask abdi to send me the HH, therefore it's from his view, I'm in MP2 and have QQ with a diamond. Guy who lost the pot said my turn check was poor, I don't agree but am willing to get a second opinion. Cheers.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

MP2 (t4,560)
CO (t5,255)
Button (t4,515)
SB (t1,025)
BB (t2,475)
Hero (UTG) (t1,115)
UTG+1 (t7,580)
MP1 (t2,405)

Hero's M: 7.43

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5
heart.gif
, 4
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 calls t100, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t299, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls t199

Flop: (t748) 4
diamond.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
, 6
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets t600, UTG+1 calls t600

Turn: (t1,948) 8
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks

River: (t1,948) K
diamond.gif
(2 players)
UTG+1 bets t200, MP2 raises to t600, UTG+1 calls t400

Total pot: t3,148

Results below:
UTG+1 didn't show
MP2 had Q
club.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(flush, King high).
Outcome: MP2 won t3,148

Utg+1 had 10h9d

I think turn check can be ok if you think he will try to steal the pot on river...but you should bet more on river.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
who calls that small river raise there?:confused: (when are they never beat there?)