$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Bottom set on wet board

C

Caissa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey gang. Please help me out with this hand. I'm pretty sure I did the right thing but the results made me sick and second guess myself.

This is the 2nd or 3rd hand of a $100 freeroll with 2228 participants. Blinds are 10/20. Table is 8 handed.

UTG (1000)
UTG+1 (1000)
MP1 (1000)
MP2 -- Hero (1000) 3c 3h
CO (980)
Bttn (890)
SB (1000)
BB (513.58)

SB posts 10, BB posts 20

fold, fold, MP1 bets 20, Hero calls 20, CO calls 20, Bttn calls 20, SB completes to 20, BB checks.

Flop (Pot=120) 3s 5c 6s

So now I'm pretty stoked. I flopped bottom set in a family pot.

SB checks, BB bets 513.58--all in (Pot=633.58)

So I'm like shit what could he have. Well he could have flopped a higher set or a straight but I really figured he was just reckless and full of shit. Top pair? that bet doesn't make sense. I'm ready to call.

Mp1 raises to 980-- all in (Pot=1613.58)

What??? My mind did a couple of somersaults but I figured one of them must have something so I decided to get out of their way.

Hero folds.
fold, fold, fold. Pot=1147.16

BB shows 6c Jh
MP1 shows 8c 4c

So I folded to top pair and a straight draw. I was kinda shocked. By the time the board ran out i was on semi-tilt.

Turn 5d, River 9c

BB wins pot (1147.16) with one pair -- sixes.

Early in the tournament I guess this was a good fold. If two people go all in I almost always try to get out of the way but more than once both players have had rags and I really kick myself for missing out on a big pot.

Contrarily, when this happens I have a tendency to call light for a while afterwards, until I get burned.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a tricky hand to deal with. I agree with the mindset, but i also would have probably called on account of it is a freeroll. I mean the man shoved right away after the flop usually a draw. The guy with the six i do not know what he was thinking. I just do not give people respect in a freeroll. Either way though I think you made the right play, but just the fact of it being a freeroll i might have called. Do not second guess yourself because in a real tourney this is probably the right call.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm never folding a flopped set early in a large public freeroll, you will much more often than not be up against exactly what the villains had here and sometimes much less. It's a freeroll, there's no point in camping out in nitland for a couple of hours just to bust anyway. Take some calculated risks and try to get a big stack together, or bust out early and go do something else.

You're only behind on the flop if somebody has exactly 42 or 74, and if somebody flopped a higher set at the same time (which is very, very rare) then you're going to lose a lot of chips and there's no way around it. Folding a set on the flop because you think somebody might have a higher set is definitely -EV, this is not going to happen often enough to justify it.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I'm never folding a flopped set early in a large public freeroll, you will much more often than not be up against exactly what the villains had here and sometimes much less. It's a freeroll, there's no point in camping out in nitland for a couple of hours just to bust anyway. Take some calculated risks and try to get a big stack together, or bust out early and go do something else.

You're only behind on the flop if somebody has exactly 42 or 74, and if somebody flopped a higher set at the same time (which is very, very rare) then you're going to lose a lot of chips and there's no way around it. Folding a set on the flop because you think somebody might have a higher set is definitely -EV, this is not going to happen often enough to justify it.

I agree with this, as it's a freeroll a lot of your opponents will do what they did, Get it in and if you lose it hasn't cost you any money.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey gang. Please help me out with this hand. I'm pretty sure I did the right thing but the results made me sick and second guess myself.

This is the 2nd or 3rd hand of a $100 freeroll with 2228 participants. Blinds are 10/20. Table is 8 handed.

UTG (1000)
UTG+1 (1000)
MP1 (1000)
MP2 -- Hero (1000) 3c 3h
CO (980)
Bttn (890)
SB (1000)
BB (513.58)

SB posts 10, BB posts 20

fold, fold, MP1 bets 20, Hero calls 20, CO calls 20, Bttn calls 20, SB completes to 20, BB checks.

Flop (Pot=120) 3s 5c 6s

SB checks, BB bets 513.58--all in (Pot=633.58)

Mp1 raises to 980-- all in (Pot=1613.58)

Hero folds.
Pot=1147.16

BB shows 6c Jh
MP1 shows 8c 4c

Turn 5d, River 9c

BB wins pot (1147.16) with one pair -- sixes.

I'm NEVER folding a set here. Like somebody else mentioned, if you're up against a bigger set, well, just tip your hat and go to the next tournament. In a freeroll especially I'm never folding a set at this stage of the tournament.....EVER!!!

Even if you are up against a straight, you're drawing live to pairing the board. To me, that's the absolute worst case scenario.

You should be playing to build a stack and when you're presented with this scenario, you have to take advantage of it.

Sorry, but that was not the optimal play here.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont fold sets

Pretty much this.

Never ever fold sets especially in tournaments unless the board has run out so badly but even then, I just pay everyone off cos I struggle to fold top pair let alone sets.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you don't realize how hard flopping a set is or how strong a hand it is.

It is like winning the cheapest lottery ticket but a lottery nonetheless. You will be a favorite to win the hand in most scenarios. So call and cash in on your ticket instead of folding which would mean tearing away the ticket.:p

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because this is a freeroll, you simply must call off here. In fact, even in pretty much any low stakes tourney you need to call off.

if it's an expensive tourney with good players then maybe you can be convinced 1 of the 2 players has a bigger set. it would still be quite a difficult fold for most of us to make.

usually (even in low stakes tourneys up to $10-$20) you'll be facing a med pocket pair/overpair and a flush draw or combo-draw. The strongest hands you will generally be facing will be something like :7c4::7h4: and :as4::4s4: and against those 2 pretty strong holdings you still have 53% equity.

P

pkr_man14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm definitly calling 100% of time, because you are playing a freeroll and people like to gamble a lot, and your hand is very strong. There's a chance that maybe one of them has a flush draw, many people push on flops when they ahve flush draws, and you are favourite to a hand like that, so I'm calling 100% of the times

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freeroll easy call , villains can shove like with over pairs , top pair , 2 pair , straight and flush draw.. In freeroll not many shove nuts straight here , its very donk game,,,,