$Freeroll NLHE MTT: AJo in MP+2 Bad call?

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
UTG+1 stats after 26 hands: VPIP 50 PFR 15 Limp 54 Post Flop AGG 1 and 3-bet 9.09

Do you guys think calling here is a bad play by me? At this point of the tournament we are still a long way for the money positions.

pokerstars - 50/100 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

SB: 2,765 (27.7 bb)
BB: 2,094 (20.9 bb)
UTG: 1,466 (14.7 bb)
UTG+1: 5,330 (53.3 bb)
MP: 2,548 (25.5 bb)
MP+1: 8,907 (89.1 bb)
Hero (MP+2): 4,295 (43 bb)
CO: 2,745 (27.5 bb)
BTN: 2,745 (27.5 bb)

SB posts 50, BB posts 100

Pre Flop: (pot: 150) Hero has :ah4: :jc4:
fold, UTG+1 calls 100, 2 folds, Hero raises to 500, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls 400

Flop: (1,150, 2 players) :7c4: :10s4: :7d4:
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 667, UTG+1 calls 667

Turn: (2,484, 2 players) :10d4:
UTG+1 bets 4,163 and is all-in, Hero calls 3,128 and is all-in

River: (8,740, 2 players) :2s4:

Results: 8,740 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :7c4: :10s4: :7d4: :10d4: :2s4:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Somewhat large isolation size, but with a hand as strong as AJ, it can never be that bad to go a bit on the large side.

Flop
I think, this is either a check back, since you have a decent amount of showdown value on T77 rainbow board, or you can bet small for thin value and protection. I know, its a freeroll, but when you bet more than half pot, you are probably condensing his range a bit to much towards hands, you are not doing well against.

Turn
Sure his donk overbet jam looks kind of wild, but he is a passive player, who suddenly take a very aggressive line. And just as a pure default we usually need to give that a decent amount of credit. He is mostly saying, he has a T, and while we see two T´s on the board, its certainly not impossible, that he has another one, in which case you are drawing completely dead.

Even if he is bluffing with something like A4 of diamonds, you are still only calling for a chopper, since your kicker is now counterfeited. And if he has a hand like 98 of diamonds, he have a ton of outs. So I just fold here. Most of the time we can just go back to basics, look at the SPR and look at, how strong our hand is. And if the opponent wants to play a bigger pot, that we are willing to with our hand strenght, then we dont overthink the situation. We just fold and move on.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The villain's turn bet looks very bluffy, but I don't think you can call it without having a history against them and knowing they can do that sort of thing. It's just as likely that they have a T, or even TT or 77 hoping that you made a full house. It's definitely not a play that's made by an ace high or overpaid at this stage of the tournament. It's just not worth stacking off in this position this early in the tournament.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Agree with the above.

Either check the flop or bet 1/4. Call makes me wary.

Combined then with the jam on the turn, you need to bail. Where you might have had 6 outs if he had a 10 (which is still only about 14% to complete), you are hosed if he has a 7 or a T. Especially for your entire tournament life, you need to walk away from this with what is now a poor hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just want to add, that making a call like this and losing is usually also a "good" way to put ourselfes on tilt. If the opponent actually had a T, then he played his hand in an almost overly transparent way. "Hey I just turned the nuts, I am all-in!" And if we call and see, that yes he did in fact turn the nuts, then tilt juices will start to run through our system, because we know deep inside, we made a bad call and donated all our chips to someone, who did not deserve them.

Maybe this is not important, if we are just playing a freeroll, and losing will end the tournament for us. But if we are multitabling regular tournaments, SnGs or cash games, then this is really important. Because then a bad call like this can start a downward spiral, where we also start to make terrible calls or bluffs on other tables, because we put ourselfes on tilt.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just want to add, that making a call like this and losing is usually also a "good" way to put ourselfes on tilt.

I much rather prefer flopping a full house, improving to a better full house, and losing my stack to a straight flush instead.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I much rather prefer flopping a full house, improving to a better full house, and losing my stack to a straight flush instead.

For me a bad beat is not tilting in the same way as losing due to a bad call. I know, I did nothing wrong but just got unlucky. So while it is of course always annoying, when it happen, I can quickly shrug it off and move on. If I run bad in an entire session and just keep losing all the flips or running into better hands, then I usually stop and take a break.