$Freeroll NLHE: M=11, looking to shove, limp with ATs. Good or bad play?

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: M=11, looking to shove, limp with ATs. Good or bad play?

My image at this point was not really established. I hadn't been at the table too long, and hadn't played too many hands, so I was probably perceived as more tight than not. With M=11, I was looking for an opportunity to shove and hopefully double up.

I never feel that strong with ATs, but it's not a bad hand, so instead of folding or shoving, I limped. Was this a good decision or not? What would you do in this situation?

As a side question, in general even when trying to play TAG, I limp with A anything suited hoping for a nut flush situation. Is this too passive? Not tight enough? Too much chasing? Just curious what others think.

Blinds are 200/400 with Ante 50

Stacks:

* MP with 11515
* rzrbacks with 23565
* BTN with 13849
* SB with 7617
* BB with 5535
* UTG with 27929

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to MP:A♦ T♦
* * Sklansky group 3
Preflop:
* * 3 players fold.
Hero calls [400]
* * 3 players fold.
* * BTN calls [200]
* * SB checks
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 1200

The results have been hidden.

Thanks for any help!
-Dave

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a response typed out then I realized the HH must be screwed up somehow.

Maybe fix the hand history and you can get a response.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a response typed out then I realized the HH must be screwed up somehow.

What do you mean "screwed up somehow"? Can you see the post I made? All the info is there. If anyone else is having trouble, let me know and I can just type it all in as plain text.

Thanks,
-Dave

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point in a tournament you'll want to open up you're starting hand requirements a bit but still need to maintain aggression I don't like just limping in with this preflop... Raise it up to 1200 and see what kind of action that brings. If you get a reraise you'll probably want to back off the hand but I would think a lot of the time a 3bb raise here takes down the pot...

And I would think that simply limping Ax suited as a rule is both to loose and to passive for tournament play.

It looks like you're missing a few of the chip stacks in the hand history there too.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop:
* * 3 players fold.
Hero calls [400]
* * 3 players fold.
* * BTN calls [200]
* * SB checks
* * Total folds this street: 6

The converter messed up again. That's why I don't use it.
You can't have 6 folds in a 6 handed deal :)

Most likely it should read as follows

Preflop:
* * 1 player folds.
Hero calls [400]
* * 2 players fold.
* * SB calls [200]
* * BB checks
* * Total folds this street: 3

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't have 6 folds in a 6 handed deal

Oh, I see that now. Dang, I hadn't even noticed it. Yes, you are right, it should say 3 folds this street instead of 6.

Dang, no wonder I can barely get a response to my question. :)

Thanks again. Maybe I should just repost with the correct info? It really seems to be messing people up.

Thanks again,
-Dave

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise it up to 1200 and see what kind of action that brings.

That's 10% of my stack. Is ATs strong enough to do that with? Like you say, I have a good possibility of others folding. Well, with real money anyhow. These freerolls can be tricky that way.

Anyone else? Think a preflop raise is the way to go?

Thanks for the analysis. I'll definitely give it some more thought.

-Dave

seuatx

seuatx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Preflop:

* * 1 player folds.
Hero calls [400]
* * 2 players fold.
* * SB calls [200]
* * BB checks
* * Total folds this street: 3

Well if this is the corrected info above then I would say raising here is a better option .. It’s only 6 handed and you have said that you are probably being perceived as a tight player and ace ten is better than mediocre hand 6 handed. Theres no need to shove here either, you still have 29 Bbs left..

For your second question, I think limping too much is bad no matter what you’re limping with. Limping with any ace suited is way too loose and need to pick better spots to raise these types of hands (mainly when in position and the action has been folded to you).

Keep in mind that the situation you have asked about happens a lot and I’ve been in those spots plenty of times, there’s no need to shove there and definitely don’t open limp either.

Last edited:
PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if this is the corrected info above then I would say raising here is a better option

Another vote for raising. OK, I'm really starting to think about it now!

For your second question, I think limping too much is bad no matter what you’re limping with. Limping with any ace suited is way too loose and need to pick better spots to raise these types of hands (mainly when in position and the action has been folded to you).

That's a really good point. I think I need to let this hand go a lot more often. As you say, if I've got the hand with position, I can raise it. I know it's not good to limp. In fact, some say never limp. Sometimes I feel that if I could get the right flop... but that's not really using much strategy.

Thanks for the advice. I think I need to tighten up *and* be more aggressive. I seem to do better when I can do both of those things at the same time.

Thanks again,
-Dave