$Freeroll NLHE: One-A-Day Hands that got me into trouble.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: One-A-Day Hands that got me into trouble.

Hand #1
full tilt poker Iron Man One-A-Day Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t20/t40 Blinds - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: t1537 M = 25.62
BB: t1410 M = 23.50
Hero (UTG): t1725 M = 28.75
UTG+1: t1515 M = 25.25
MP1: t1575 M = 26.25
MP2: t1493 M = 24.88
CO: t1410 M = 23.50
BTN: t1335 M = 22.25

Pre Flop: (t60) Hero is UTG with 9 9
Hero raises to t200, UTG+1 raises to t440, 6 folds, Hero...

It was still pretty early in the freeroll, and didn't really have any reads on this guy yet. I was thinking his raise size was a little wierd, like he didnt want to scare me away, but maybe he wanted to scare me away i dunno.

Hand #2
Full Tilt Poker Iron Man One-A-Day Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 9 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: t1540 M = 20.53
UTG+1: t1697 M = 22.63
UTG+2: t1290 M = 17.20
Hero (MP1): t1640 M = 21.87
MP2: t1820 M = 24.27
CO: t1565 M = 20.87
BTN: t1733 M = 23.11
SB: t1800 M = 24
BB: t715 M = 9.53

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is MP1 with Q A
3 folds, Hero raises to t250, MP2 calls t250, 4 folds

Flop: (t575) 3 9 7 (2 players)
Hero bets t300, MP2 calls t300

Turn: (t1175) A (2 players)
Hero bets t700, MP2 raises to t1270 all in, Hero...

I am pot committed I guess at this point, so I have to call right? Is this playing tptk to strong? I shoulda thought about that baluga theorem is it? Always take a turn raise seriously? This is the same guy from the first hand, and he had played some hands, but no showdowns yet.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hand 1:

Hero requests TIME, 1 fold

Final Pot: t460
UTG+1 wins t460

Hand2

Hero calls t390 all in

River: (t3355) J (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t3355
Hero shows Q A (a pair of Aces)
MP2 shows 3 3 (three of a kind, Threes)
MP2 wins t3355

View all 2 hands

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 - given that it's a freeroll there's an argument for folding or just shoving and hoping you're flipping, you suckout, or villain is an idiot with J3s or something. i don't think either decision is particularly worse than the other. as soon as we bring money into the equation (ie. assume it's a $$$ buyin) it becomes a fold though, as we stand to lose infinitely more and we have to give our opponent at least a little more credit for a hand given that we're raising UTG and he's reraising from UTG+1.

#2 - you definitely have to call as played. betting a little more on the flop so you can happily just shove (or check-fold of course) the turn might be an idea, but as played you've committed yourself and can't fold.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shoulda thought about that baluga theorem is it? Always take a turn raise seriously?

Baluga applies to turn c/r's, the raise in position isn't as strong. Regardless, you're pot committed at this point - and it's unfortunate, but I don't know how you can get away from this on the turn.

I'm not great w betsizing in MTT's, two questions:

1. pf - is 5x pf a good size? At 20/40 blinds (is that level 2 or 3?), everyone's calling pf, esp in a freeroll. I have no set opinion here - but I tend to raise smaller pf in early stages (3x).

2. is there an opportunity to cbet the flop smaller? The cbet's obv intended to take down the pot immediately - I'm not sure it needs to be that big to serve that purpose? That would keep the pot smaller so the turn bet could be smaller...

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dunno if 5x is a god size or not, I do sometimes switch it up between 3xbb and 5xbb. I had only been doing 5xbb pfr so far here, which was starting to build a big pot I guess, but I didn't want ATC to call me so was hoping to try and push anyone away that might call with a speculative hand. On the flop I was trying to push him away, but I guess a c-bet of 200-225 might have been better? but his set of 3s was well hidden to me, and that ace hitting the turn kinda made me stop thining about what my oppenent had, and more of yes I hit something after a failed c-bet intended to take it down.

I wasnt sure whether to play the 99 utg or not, and felt it was too risky to call without reads yet, but who knows.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No reads on first guy makes it hard to predict what he had, he could have AQ+ or JJ+, I think it was a good laydown. The second was just a casualty of set mining, sometimes you're the one with the set... that ace on the turn got you pot dedicated, no way you could fold after you raised that much... sucks but I dont think I would have played it much differently, I hate being OOP makes it hard to keep the pot small when you have a hand that at best normally will give you only TP and a good kicker..

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dunno if 5x is a god size or not, I do sometimes switch it up between 3xbb and 5xbb. I had only been doing 5xbb pfr so far here, which was starting to build a big pot I guess, but I didn't want ATC to call me so was hoping to try and push anyone away that might call with a speculative hand. On the flop I was trying to push him away, but I guess a c-bet of 200-225 might have been better? but his set of 3s was well hidden to me, and that ace hitting the turn kinda made me stop thining about what my oppenent had, and more of yes I hit something after a failed c-bet intended to take it down.

I wasnt sure whether to play the 99 utg or not, and felt it was too risky to call without reads yet, but who knows.
You would want to raise to 3 or 2.321345bb preflop because you want more play post flop. By raising so much, you play a 2 street game instead of all 3 streets.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call the first hand and you have to call the second. I think you still have enough behind to fold with the 9s if you are clearly outflopped. The small raise is sort of odd, and could indicate set mining, but I still like to see the pot. Second, you are committed

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all your responses!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands