$Freeroll NLHE: 77, Facing a SB min raise from unknown. 15 left

M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: 77, Facing a SB min raise from unknown. 15 left

I'd made a few questionable plays but had just recently doubled up off AJ.

I'm sitting in the BB late in the tourney - 16 left in the UK FR. Looking to build my stack. I'm min raised by an unkown player who I've never come across and I had only seen fold a few hands.

Stacks:
MP with 248646
CO with 258046
BTN with 251281
SB with 86939
BB with 156172
UTG with 172101

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to BB:7♣ 7♠
Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
4 players fold.
SB raises to 16,000
Hero raises to 155,172, and is all in
SB calls [69,939] [ all-in ] Hero shows :
7♣ 7♠
SB shows : ??
I just couldn't resist, to me this looked like an awful steal attempt.

Thanks again guys.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
W/O a read I don't think this is a bad play at all. Min-raise from the SB in a FR can very often be a poor steal attempt and yes it can be a play to induce a shove also but I've seen that a lot less. I would prefer to raise it to exactly his stack as I feel this is perceived as a stronger move than an AI of my stack.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think he is possibly holding if he's raising you from the small blind preflop? It's obvious that he's looking to either induce at least a call from you or you to go over the top on him so he can shove an all in commit call. Your foolishness may very well cost you a higher cash in this event. Greed has overcome you while a flat out call gives you position to flop a set. I believe you're beat from the start, besides, how much is in the pot to fight for?

sky4ever

sky4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving in this spot w/o a read on him, in my opinion, it`s just wrong.I would have just flat called him and hope to hit a set.I guess that if he wanted a steal he would have raised more. Usually min raising from EP means he wants a re-raise.I`m almost sure he has you beat, but it`s a freeroll so I guess anything is possible.

M

MaxiRodriguez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what are we suggesting here guys?

A flat call and evaluate our position after the flop?

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing to look at that was not mentioned by you in your original post is that he is the short stack at your table and possibly one of the shortest stacks in the tourney. He only has about 10BB left and this makes me think that his minimum raise is more a sign of strength than of weakness. I don't think a re-shove is the right move at this point. why not just call and see shat comes on the flop?

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your hand is a lot of the times beat.. And anyway you're only with 16 players left.. The best you have is a coiinflip.. I think it is not worth to call here

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Especially in FR these min-raises from a shorter stack in BvB hands are vulnerable hands just hoping to make a steal. The SB will have a medium hand like QJ, JT, K9, A7 and wants to make a steal but they can't make themselves go AI so resort to a min-raise and will fold to any pressure.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Especially in FR these min-raises from a shorter stack in BvB hands are vulnerable hands just hoping to make a steal. The SB will have a medium hand like QJ, JT, K9, A7 and wants to make a steal but they can't make themselves go AI so resort to a min-raise and will fold to any pressure.
Not a chance. What a you thinking? A min raise from the SB with a marginal hand? Raising with hands like this he may as well go for the steal to 3-4 x BB. He wants a least a call from the BB.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Again this is just my impressions from the <$5 tournaments that I have played over the years. For me, SB min-raises from a shorter stack are about 50% mediocre hands of rag A's, suited K's, middle connectors & one-gappers that can't pull the trigger to go AI.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much an autoshove in BvB. WP. Unless SB has been shoving a ton before this, in which case we call and spike a set to bust his AA. Vs. an unknown shortstack I'd shove 100% of the time.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience this is sometimes a strong hand, but usually a weaker one like QJ, A8 etc. However, they usually talk themselves into a call after you shove, since to them your shove over their min raise doesn't look all that strong either. I'm willing to gambol with sevens, there are enough pairs below 77 (that will also call most of the time) to offset the times they have 88+