€Freeroll NLHE 6-max Deep Stacked: LIVE SATELLITE, 22 players, short-handed, 50/100 blinds, trips on flop, big pot.

What would you do on the turn?

• Total voters
M

magex

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
€Freeroll NL HE 6-max Deep Stacked: LIVE SATELLITE, 22 players, short-handed, 50/100 blinds, trips on flop, big pot.

I have a question about a hand I played in a a live tourny. The tourney was a live satellite into another satellite final for the unibet prague open, so there is only one prize for 1st place.
There were 3 tables which weren't full, so I think about 22 people, my table had only 6 people.
Starting chips 3000, starting blinds 25/50, 15 min blinds.

I had about 3075 chips.
Blinds are now 50/100 (level just changed), 6 players at the table.

My hand: JJ

UTG: Limps
Me (UTG+1): Raises to 300.
Guy next to me (UTG+2): Re-raises to 1000.
Everyone else folds. I call.

Flop is JsKd2h (I have trips)
I check.
UTG+2: Bets 1000. I call.

Turn is 10d

I have about 1075 chips left on the turn, he has a similar amount of chips, about 1200. What should I do?

If I push here, do you think he would call?
If I check, do you think he would push here to try to steal (so i could call?)

Which option is better? And would you have played it differently before the turn?

There is a flush draw on the board, but I think its unlikely he had suited cards. It's possible, but so far, I haven't seen him reraise that big pf, but he is kind of loose aggressive.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have pushed the flop, but as played... just push the turn. He's definitely not going to try to steal unless hes really desperate after you called his steal on the flop.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Push preflop. You are commiting 1/3 of your stack as it is.
Push the flop, you hit your trips, get it all in. With this tournament structure TP and draws will call.

As played shove there is no reason whatso ever to keep 1K behind here.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm yeah, we should be all-in or folding pf (depending on reads - against an unknown in a freeroll i would definitely be shoving over the 3-bet but if you have a solid 'is competent' read on villain you can fold pf).

Failing that we should be all-in on the flop. What's your logic behind calling pf and flop?

M

magex

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have pushed the flop, but as played... just push the turn. He's definitely not going to try to steal unless hes really desperate after you called his steal on the flop.

Yeah that's correct. He def. just checks there (on the turn). So the best thing I could do is push. If I check-raise the flop or push the flop, how likely is it for him to call tho? I didn't really want to scare him that much.

So say if I check, and he checks behind me on the turn, and river is 8d, and i still have that 1075 chips left, what should i do there cos im always first to act. Somehow i dont think he has a flush. He could of course, but i dunno. I pushed there, even though I should have pushed on the turn instead. What would you do on the river, if it happened like the way i played it so far?

(Jilly: He prob has no draw on the flop unless he has QT? Or no other openended draws...)
(Dorkus: I check flop cos im way ahead hoping he bets or at least improve his hand some way, so I can bet on the turn. If I bet the flop first, I think he would have given up right away and folded maybe, cos it looks like i hit, that's what im thinking. Or at best, if I bet first and he calls on the flop, he's prob not raising there with nothing at all, he's prob not going to call anything on the turn either, cos he would be thinking i have him beat already?).

I know most of his chips are in, but seriously no idea about his hand, cos I thought he missed completely when i saw the flop. So my theory was not to push then- actually want all his chips, so call and wait for the turn, which i shoulda pushed : O (kinda forgot how scared he would be on the turn, me having called his raise pf, and his bet on flop, so impliedodds3 has a really good point i think, the opponent is prob not going to try to steal, again :eek:...)

As for the pf, he's played alot of hands so far and its only level 2 in the blinds, i had reason to see him as pretty loose pf, would assume im quite a bit ahead before the flop. gonna see the flop, and i think most flops are pretty safe for me, against one opponent, so didn't need to scare him away pf by pushing then (imo)

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Jilly: He prob has no draw on the flop unless he has QT? Or no other openended draws...)

He could have a number of draws.

Big thing I see in your thinking is that you are focusing on trapping (don't want to scare him away etc. etc.). IMHO stop thinking like this. Start thinking about what value you can get from your hand. As I said at the start there are so many hands that will call your shove preflop and on the flop that you are ahead of that you are giving up value by not shoving. And you lose value by not charging opponents to see cards that they would have paid to see.

M

magex

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He could have a number of draws.

Big thing I see in your thinking is that you are focusing on trapping (don't want to scare him away etc. etc.). IMHO stop thinking like this. Start thinking about what value you can get from your hand. As I said at the start there are so many hands that will call your shove preflop and on the flop that you are ahead of that you are giving up value by not shoving. And you lose value by not charging opponents to see cards that they would have paid to see.

Well you are probably right about value on the flop. assuming he has a draw, I probably want him to pay for it. Though I still think pf not a lot of hands call me if I shove apart from hands that beat me. Or if hes looser, hands that could flop an overcard on the flop, which give me very little outs after the flop. So initially I thought I could see what the flop is like because probably 1 overcard would be ok, and everything under it he might hit a top pair with his whatever cards, and then i can put him in a allin that he would call, thinking i missed. Yeah maybe i am a bit focussed on trapping :(. When do I know when to think like that and when not to, like maybe cos theres not enough chips to play with now, i should just try to get chips without showing down, and how many chips should i be satisfied with getting off this hand?

Either that, or he could have folded pf if I shove... so should I be happy if I shove and and he fold pf? I would win blinds (150) + his 1000 raise he put in, assuming he doesn't call.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either that, or he could have folded pf if I shove... so should I be happy if I shove and and he fold pf? I would win blinds (150) + his 1000 raise he put in, assuming he doesn't call.

I love it when I can increase my stack by 30% without having to sweat any cards :)

M

magex

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love it when I can increase my stack by 30% without having to sweat any cards :)

Yeah thats true ofcourse. In this winner takes all kinda thing i try to double up quickly tho. Thanks to you guys I know where to push now :D! Ciao!

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Poker Tells