Folding AA

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the circumstances like stacks, number of opponents, their tendencies, etc. No way to tell anything as I was not able to get anything from the replayer. To say we should never fold AA post flop is a huge mistake but depending on your stack size such as if I started the hand with a small ish stack, there would be times I would say to myself "if you have it, then you have it". Cant really tell you if it was a good move or not other than being somewhat general and saying if you were short stacked then you probably need to call it off at least at times and if stacks were deep effective than its a fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Replay does not work, so difficult to give a good analysis with so much information missing. But obviously this is not a great board for AA. So depending on the effective stack size and exact action, this could be a reasonable fold.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not sure if the replay will work, but on Replay Poker during League play while holding AA, facing a board of 9 JJQ. and a pot size raise. App could have a J, K 10, or a bluff. I folded.

https://www.replaypoker.com/replay/1093802641
I would probably call and fold river if another spade comes on board since the villan might hold a flush draw but to me looks like he had trips jacks with a medium kicker like J8s,J9s,JTs...

I don't see him having a straight like KT because he 3-bet you on flop with a gutshot? :unsure:
T8 to a straight? no way he's 3 betting a up and down. It's possible but I were to guess he had trips or flushdraw, or A9s.

It was a good fold imo but I would call and see that river for possible full house and potentialy taking all the chips.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It is very important to understand when to abandon an idea that has not gone according to plan. No one likes to fold premium hands in poker, neither preflop nor postflop. I'm sure you hate moments like this! However, it is simply necessary to be able to do this. Moreover, it is often this skill that distinguishes amateurs from professionals.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
i could fold AA , but not in a freeroll or homegame . but if its a serious buy in game , yeah , i could fold on a strange spot like you did .

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very difficult to fold AA, but this board didn't help much, for me in this situation with this specific board it depends on my villain, if he's not a bluffer then I'll fold easily, if he bluffs constantly I'll call and analyze the hand but it's It's difficult to make that decision right away, so it depends on your strategy at the time.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I folded AA at a live tournament yesterday in a similar situation. Too much possible bad to continue with a hand which at that point is no longer a good one.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Replay does not work, so difficult to give a good analysis with so much information missing. But obviously this is not a great board for AA. So depending on the effective stack size and exact action, this could be a reasonable fold.
Try to log in to Repaly Poker first and open a window. Press the link in OP after that.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to log in to Repaly Poker first and open a window. Press the link in OP after that.
Ok thanks that worked.

Preflop
Obviously we are raising AA, and sizing looks fine.

Flop
Flop is JJ9 with a flushdraw giving us a hand, which is sort of like a second pair. We are probably not getting 3 streets of value from anything worse, if we go bet, bet, bet, and we dont want to get raised and play a massive pot with this hand. So I prefer to start with a check here, and the intention is then of course to check-call and to bet the turn, if he checks back. As played its to weak to bet-fold AA on the flop. He could have trips, but he could also be raising a draw or total air just attacking the paired board. He is probably not raising anything worse for value though, so your hand has become a pure bluff catcher.

Turn
I think this one is close, and knowing something more about the opponent would be nice. T8 and KT got there, so he could have a straight now, and he could still have trips of course. But there are also still a lot of draws, and would this opponent ever bet a Q here for value and protection, thinking we are on a draw? If we are only willing to put in 2 bets, then we really should not bet the flop. So betting the flop and giving up now is a bit inconsistent. However if we call now, we are not calling again on the river, unless its a J or an A giving us a boat.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As an additional comment AA is a great hand to check on a board like JJ9 for the reason, that when its ahead, its often way ahead. So AA does not benefit as much from protection as lower pairs like A9 or TT. If for instance the opponent had a hand like Q5s, then he would beat A9 or TT on the turn. But when we have AA, we are happy for him to spike top pair, because then we can get some value on the turn and river. Whereas if we bet the flop, he is probably just going to fold, unless he has the right suit for the flushdraw.

I think, its very common for people to feel, they have to bet the flop, when there are draw available. But this is kind of a flawed way of thinking. Draws only make up a small percentage of our opponents range. And in top of that good draws are not folding on the flop, and we are not that fat ahead of them, unless we have 3 of a kind. So instead of blindly focusing on draws, we want to focus on our opponents entire range. And in this case that will contain a lot of hands, that missed completely and are drawing almost dead. Which makes checking a good play with AA or KK specifically.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I fold AA without any problems, it is only the best hand before the flop, after that I risk losing to ridiculous hands.
played well, AA is not 100% successful, awareness of what is happening is much more important.

Folding in Poker