soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early in an mtt satellite tournament

at the time i thought that if he has 10 10 which was my read

i didn't want to risk my tourney life and still had a few chips to play with with low blinds

he could have had AA or KK though too or AQ or AJ too

what is your play here?

full tilt poker Game #4211243856: Satellite to FTOPS Main Event (30643644), Table 87 - 25/50 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:23:06 ET - 2007/11/17
Seat 1: Rorio (1,305)
Seat 2: mefistofole (2,563)
Seat 3: Chiggins34 (2,047)
Seat 4: Corbet_2 (7,250)
Seat 5: Raclure (5,480)
Seat 6: Samvetet (1,515)
Seat 7: mfjr (1,380)
Seat 8: soccerfreakjj10 (1,525)
Seat 9: guru15 (2,610)
Corbet_2 posts the small blind of 25
Raclure posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to soccerfreakjj10 [Kh Ad]
Samvetet folds
mfjr folds
soccerfreakjj10 raises to 200
guru15 folds
Rorio folds
mefistofole folds
Chiggins34 folds
Corbet_2 has 15 seconds left to act
Corbet_2 has requested TIME
Corbet_2 raises to 7,250, and is all in
Raclure folds
soccerfreakjj10 has 15 seconds left to act
soccerfreakjj10 has requested TIME
soccerfreakjj10 folds
Uncalled bet of 7,050 returned to Corbet_2
Corbet_2 mucks
Corbet_2 wins the pot (450)

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the overbet here signifies that he isn't on AA or KK. I think he has a decent hand, maybe QQ or lower, but no ace, and he wants to protect the hand, take the blinds and move on, with his hand as a back up against a call (he can take the hit anyway even if he loses). Thats my read anyway.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what I have read, just dealing with a maniac on a freeroll that doesn't care. Who knows what he/she has and are you willing to gamble the tournament on A,K?

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weak Ace or low pair = insta call by me.

XiMaker

XiMaker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't risk your entire stack on AK - Unless you are already shortstacked... There are plenty of cards to come that could be better for you to get your chips all-in... My feeling is that you can Go ALL-IN with AK but you don't want to risk your tourney and call someone's bet forcing you to go all-in... my 2 cents

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah...I dont think you can fold here. That is just too crazy of a move with a real hand, I think he is just pushing his big stack around. I would put him on 99 at best but likely AT, AJ, KQ, or worse. I think you got to call.

X

xx_Stevey_xx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I call that, your way ahead, just a big stack bulling

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks guys for your input

there is most likely no way i am dominated and i could be ahead but most likely coin flip

however, is it worth your entire tournament (50 dollar buy in was my biggest buy in yet) to call an all in with merely ace high? - with my given situation that is

i later got out about 100 from the seat to the ftops main event on A 10 suited short stacked middle postion.

that amazing opportunity that i folded the AK for never came.

so in what situation do you you need to be willing to race in an mtt?

short stacked with high blinds?

this is probably an m zone question actually...

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYI. I was playing last night and came across this situation twice, holding AK and raising the pot only to face the massive all-in from a bigger stack that puts me on the line. I called them both, one guy had K 5 off-suit and the other guy had PP 2's. Just goes to show dunnit, sometimes we give people waaaay too much respect. I think the most important factor in your decision of whether or not to call has to be the table image of your opponent.

johnmirow

johnmirow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go all-in with AK; he played maniac freerol style and want to steal your chips, with any kind of cards ...

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go all-in with AK; he played maniac freerol style and want to steal your chips, with any kind of cards ...

wasnt a freeroll, clearly stated it was a $50 buy in tournament

2nd. go all in

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[sometimes we give people waaaay too much respect. ]

This is way too true, a lot people are just fools. I find myself constantly amazed by silly things people do, I assume since I want to learn and play a reasonable game others do to but that isn't the case.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say good fold , $50 mtt (never played that high ) you don't want ANY coinflips for tourney life . judging from his stack size he is definitly a lag and probaly had trash but could still suck out very easy. why risk it early , wait for made hand .

pokerace3454

pokerace3454

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KA was unsuited good fold in $50 buy in. so i would wait for high and middle pocket pair and go all in. and your short stack

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold for me, frustrating as it may be, as you could well have the best hand. Or if i had to hazard a guess I would say he has a low to medium PP.

You have to look at it like this in a tournament, You have more to lose than you do to gain. You win the hand you are on just over 3000 chips. You lose, it is goodnight. 3000 chips although it puts you in healthy shape, it by no means makes it certain you will go on and finish in what ever place you need to finish.

If he has 22 you are behind, if only a little. If he has live cards, you aren't that much of a favourite. If he does by any small chance really have AA KK. You are a massive dog. Only way you are really way in front is if he has Ace X up to ace queen.

I don't think a call is the worst play in the world, but if you read any good tournament book, they all tell you to avoid tangles with someone who can break you. If your chip stack was smaller , then I would certainly say call. As it is, you can get away from the hand, still with a decent stack of chips for the blind level you are at, and push your chips in, rather than call for your tournament life.

U

unlucky79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My rule of thumb is always be the one pushing the action but have great cards when you do so. If someone calls or reraises the pot I would say 90% of the time you are dogged and you are in chase mode. The only way I chase in any situation is if it is cheap to do so and I atleast have a nice hand to fall back on if it goes to showdown. I play aggressive with good cards 2 pair or better and always force the action 6 xx bb bet minimum after 4th street if someone is calling me down easily I will check the river. Just remember if you have a big stack its okay to push the action in tourney play but if you are low stacked put all your chips in play with monster hands post flop. Large stacks are always willing to chase regardless so why not put them on a major decision after hitting atleast 2 pair after the flop. Never slow play as it will hang you more then it will help. Good luck to you and Happy Turkey Day!!! Unlucky79

Folding in Poker