Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Played in a pokerstars freeroll satellite, no add-on and no rebuy I started with 1k chips and ended up in the top 5 with over 800k!
Second Stage, $22 Satellite 50 Players, 4 Seats, Passed! Third Stage $109 satellite for a Higher Roller. I'm UTG with AA, 7BB, UTG+1 12bb Shove All IN, the other 4 participants with less than 4BB, had 3 spots, whoever went all in eliminated the 3, I gave FOLD to not be the bubble! Would you call?:unsure:

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It does not matter to arrive at the ticket with a stack of 500,000 than than with one of 5,000 chips, both players receive the same prize regardless of their stack of chips. We can fold Aces pre-flop if these conditions are met
Have high chances of winning entry
Facing a player who has a similar or higher stack
Wasnt a bad fold only if the tickets are the same

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It does not matter to arrive at the ticket with a stack of 500,000 than than with one of 5,000 chips, both players receive the same prize regardless of their stack of chips. We can fold Aces pre-flop if these conditions are met
Have high chances of winning entry
Facing a player who has a similar or higher stack
Wasnt a bad fold only if the tickets are the same
Very Good!

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello if your preflop bet goes up again I'm going there and if the villain goes there I also pay

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think the point of not risking chips when it's a satellite and your prize is already secured is valid but I'm curious how you can be the bubble there?, one had 12bb and 3 had less than 4bb... I'd call to eliminate the short stacks, you really only have to worry about the 12bb guy and you have AA?, yeah I'd call👍

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I honestly don't know in what situation I would drop AA in the preflop, it's hard for me to imagine....

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, yes it is a normal situation to fold AA preflop, in satellites. The moment you come to the conclusion that there is no need to play AA to get the seat, that indicates that you have achieved your objective. There is no reason to risk losing the spot with AA that vs 22 has 81% vs 19%, that means that in this situation going All in 100x in a row vs 22 the 22 will win 19x, there is no need for that risk.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I see it's a difficult situation and it's a very difficult decision to make.

I think you need poker software like ICM IZER to solve this equation.

I congratulate you for having fold AA preflop, already to make this decision it is not easy.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played in a PokerStars freeroll satellite, no add-on and no rebuy I started with 1k chips and ended up in the top 5 with over 800k!
Second Stage, $22 Satellite 50 Players, 4 Seats, Passed! Third Stage $109 satellite for a Higher Roller. I'm UTG with AA, 7BB, UTG+1 12bb Shove All IN, the other 4 participants with less than 4BB, had 3 spots, whoever went all in eliminated the 3, I gave FOLD to not be the bubble! Would you call?:unsure:
I think I would have fold too

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The first thing in this case is
“What is our GOAL”
There's no point in running the risk of winning a hand and being left out of the prize. All the more so when the prize is the same for all winners. Double without any problem.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Been up for 35+ hours now and a bit confused reading that I think.....but.....I think it's a very easy fold regardless of the fact it's AA you're folding. Specially if you're a lock to get the ticket when/if just 1 of the others busts out. If that's not the case SHIP IT there.

The goal after all is too get the ticket not try to be a hero and ending up busted out on the bubble by getting it all-in with AA in this spot and lose to trips or some stupid run out for two pair, a straight or flush. Good chance the 12bb player has a pair. Would you play Russian roulette with your life even when the chance is slim the bullet is in the chamber? No you wouldn't. So no reason to call here and take the low risk of a bad run out for you or villain hitting trips on the flop.

Cheers!!!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would not throw off aces even in such a situation because the chances of winning are too high so I would just go all the way with an AA pair and even if I were eliminated, it wouldn't be a big deal because I made the right decision and this is how poker works make the right decisions at distances you will win

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm UTG with AA, 7BB, UTG+1 12bb Shove All IN, the other 4 participants with less than 4BB, had 3 spots, whoever went all in eliminated the 3, I gave FOLD to not be the bubble! Would you call?
First of all congratulations on Your tickets won!:love:
Then You were 2th with 7BB, 6 players and 3 tickets. If I felt the ticket is already on my pocket I fold Otherwise I call.
Well, did You win the ticket?:coffee::p

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is quite standard to fold AA if you are in extreme ICM situation like the bubble of a satellite with a seat almost guaranteed.

However, I've noticed one thing. You said you were UTG with 7 BB and pocket aces, and UTG+1 shoved. Did you raise to 2x pre-flop before his shove?
If you did, this is your mistake. At this moment, more than ever, it is all-in or fold.
In the $109 level, a good satellite player who has more chips than you knows that you will fold any 2 cards for his shove.
He can put maximum pressure in you. Also, when he 3-bets shove, it is much harder for one of the short stacks call, because it would require maybe KK+ for them to risk their tournament life.

If you choose to shove your AA (again quite standard, because you can eliminate one of the short stacks, who in theory would need a premium hand to call you too), so if you shove, you discourage UTG+1 from calling you, because now he would risk his almost guaranteed seat. If you shove, now he would have to fold even AA, because it is not worthy for him to risk his seat.
But shoving is beneficial because you will collect the blinds and antes in the most scenarios, and when you get called, you are still the favorite.

When close to the bubble, it is all-in or fold, even if you have 20 BBs, or even 30 BBs. Fold equity is the most important thing in satellites. You don't want to call all-ins in the bubble, and if you do because you need to, you better have premium hands.

Satellites can't be played like a normal tournament, because everybody wins the same amount. Your goal is to min-cash, not win all the chips.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Played in a PokerStars freeroll satellite, no add-on and no rebuy I started with 1k chips and ended up in the top 5 with over 800k!
You are regretting the fold, my friend, I see that this has been haunting you since the 30th, so in a way you already know your answer...

Let it go... but let's develop.

Apparently you limped or min-raised. The correct thing to do in this situation was to call, as already mentioned here, the chance of being re-stealed was very high, I say something around 70%. But take into account the experience despite not having qualified. More luck next time.

Captainine9

Captainine9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hard fold. Sometimes is the best play but who knows, you have more equity than any other hand preflop, the EV is absolutely positive for this call.
But of course, there is many other factors to be considered in each enigma we solve. Specially in MTTs, need to think about ITM, ICM and all that.
So, did you win the prize? I think I would have called that shove, but you might have made the right decision in that circumstance, specially considering that the prize is the same for all who gets it in a satellite tournament, no matter the stacks.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone else have said, we are never min-raising out of a 7BB stack, and if we do, its certainly not with intention to fold AA to a jam. In this situation you are the second largest stack, and the correct move would have been to move all-in with the hands, you wanted to play, including AA. The chip leader is not going to call you, unless he has a very good hand, and even then maybe not, since additional chips has almost no value for him. Its also unclear, if this was the actual bubble, or if more than one player needed to be eliminated.

Folding in Poker