Finished 3rd/163 live tourney 6 max turbo..but.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I had about 45bb & 5 away from the money
the utg opened to 2bb, I 3 bet with QQ 5bb he thinks then jams for his 35bb stack.

I folded after a long tank. I ended up at the final table and doing enough to finish 3rd but I've been kicking myself over this fold.
Its the only time this tournament I felt I was being a nit. Later he told me he has AK when we had finished playing.

Buy in €150 and I cashed for €2170.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Well in your case the fold payed off. Going all in there you would have a coin flip. He could always have KK or AA also and your tournament life would end in a bubble. So don't beat yourself up over it, sometimes it's completely OK to lay down good hands. :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dont want to play a big pot on the bubble, it is ok to just call preflop even with a hand as strong as QQ. This is generally going to be better than folding to a 4-bet ;)

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dont want to play a big pot on the bubble, it is ok to just call preflop even with a hand as strong as QQ. This is generally going to be better than folding to a 4-bet ;)
Yeah true. I was on the button. Could have seen the flop and played it from there. With the SB and BB left to act maybe flatting would have been the play.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well in your case the fold payed off. Going all in there you would have a coin flip. He could always have KK or AA also and your tournament life would end in a bubble. So don't beat yourself up over it, sometimes it's completely OK to lay down good hands. :)
4 live events, 2 final tables.

But QQ just felt like it would have made me a fav to win.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I wouldn’t kick yourself for that fold. Fair enough you was ahead, but I personally wouldn’t want to stack off on a coin flip for 35bb in that position live. The FT and making a decent profit when you’ve run deep is more favourable than online. KK and AK I’d imagine you’d be in, I see QQ as a stretch. Would have been nice to see the flop for sure.. Out of curiosity what position was you sitting in and did the the min click from UTG cause the prior action to fold? I get stick for suggestions like this but from a later position, unless they are very short stacked I avoid flips till secure... a flat of his min click if you were the only action may be been the more favourable play... I won’t never suggest or say better lol, as your the one sat in the seat and observing the variables of the moment.

Well done though, live is the creme of poker

Last edited:
V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations on reaching those final tables mate.Keep it up!

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
4 live events, 2 final tables.

But QQ just felt like it would have made me a fav to win.
Oh, you was technically free rolling? How’s much you ping from the first event? You playing at a festival?

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn’t kick yourself for that fold. Fair enough you was ahead, but I personally wouldn’t want to stack off on a coin flip for 35bb in that position live. The FT and making a decent profit when you’ve run deep is more favourable than online. KK and AK I’d imagine you’d be in, I see QQ as a stretch. Would have been nice to see the flop for sure.. Out of curiosity what position was you sitting in and did the the min click from UTG cause the prior action to fold? I get stick for suggestions like this but from a later position, unless they are very short stacked I avoid flips till secure... a flat of his min click if you were the only action may be been the more favourable play... I won’t never suggest or say better lol, as your the one sat in the seat and observing the variables of the moment.

Well done though, live is the creme of poker
I was on the button. villian was UTG. We just got on the same table after the break.
He min raised and jammed to my 3bet. Which made me think he had AK KK or AA.
Its flip at best. So I layed it down.

I made some big calls that day and was doing really well. So I felt maybe this was a moment to learn to fold lol

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, you was technically free rolling? How’s much you ping from the first event? You playing at a festival?
Well my first final table was before covid but yeah, I have only played 4 live tourneys and FT'd 2 of them.

Irish poker open in Dublin.

First event I FT'd was €250 with a win of €1250. This was €150 with a €2170 win.
So my live buy ins amount to 530 with a 3420 return = €2890 profit.

Have another €150 coming up later this month. Will try an get some run good again.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well my first final table was before covid but yeah, I have only played 4 live tourneys and FT'd 2 of them.

Irish poker open in Dublin.

First event I FT'd was €250 with a win of €1250. This was €150 with a €2170 win.
So my live buy ins amount to 530 with a 3420 return = €2890 profit.

Have another €150 coming up later this month. Will try an get some run good again.
Tell you this fella, keep doing what your doing. 2 FTs from 4 entries is amazing. Just make sure you manage your bankroll, I’d go as far as to suggest you keep your live and online separate with whichever makes you more money mildly subsidising the other. I assume you have and understand all the software at what not to online grind and do it consistently (assumption due to your age and your live game considerations).

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah true. I was on the button. Could have seen the flop and played it from there. With the SB and BB left to act maybe flatting would have been the play.
Of course this would also mean some risk of getting drawn out on. But if the runout is bad, and there is heavy action, we can just fold a single pair in a multiway pot. And at least you are then still in the tournament. The basic idea here is hand planning. And if we dont really want to call a 4-bet (because its near the bubble), and we dont want to fold either (because we have a very good hand like QQ), then maybe we should not make a 3-bet in the first place. Explained very well in this video from CCs 30 day course.

Organize a Home Poker Game