tim1561

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 28/20/80

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 28/20/80

Heyo guys,
Table is 9 handed. Villain has shown a lot of aggressive moves before especially when he has not the goods and has 28/20 stats

Blinds: 400/800 (100)
Villan raises: 1600 (MP1)
Hero 3 bets with QQ to 4000 out of the BB
Villan flat calls
Pot is now 9200
*** FLOP *** [Ac 6s 6c]
Hero checks with the intention to give it up
Villian bets 9200 which lead me to make a move despite my plans before.
This size seems very awkward to me and that villain would never choose this size if he has a strong Ace.
I think that this bet size smells like villain has 99-JJ or a very weak suited ace and he wants to take the pot down immediately.

Hero check raises 20058 and is all-in
Villain calls and tables A8s
Hero finished the tournament in 312th place :(

I wanted to take the pot away since i thought he is weak on this board.
I'am wondering if there is anything wrong about how i approached this hand and i wanted to share this hand with you to discuss it.
Thanks in advance!

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to get away from this hand on the flop. There was already 9k in the flop and you only had 2x the pot. I'm surprise by his call on the 3bet. He is usually in bad form against your range. If he had AK there I don't think he would bet the pot and he don't have very often AQ because you have 2queens blockers. It's ok to shove there, just a cooler.

T

tim1561

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What I'am asking myself also is if this was a normal call by villain which i would see against most opponents or if this was a bad call/good read by villain

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess he was getting a good price to call. Like 2400 to win 6800, so matematicly it wasn't such a bad call. But A8 is such a bad hand against a 3bet range. He's so destroyed against any bigger Ace, or big pocket pair. If that wasn't a bounty tournament i think it was like 65% fold / 35% call preflop for him. Anyway, I want to see other opinions on this.

V

vroomster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You're missing a couple of stats to make this a great discussion. What are your stats? What was your table image? And lastly, what was villain's stack size. Clearly he's got you covered, but if he had a lot more, then I think that factors into whether he can risk to call your all in.

I don't love your raise here, if he's that aggressive he's not folding. With that sort of VPIP, his range definitely includes weak aces. And for him to bet into a re-raiser, he'd be crazy to think you'd fold. Also, I'm not sure why you think a pot bet is a weird bet. A lot of people bet pot since sites offer an easy button to do that.

I think most villains don't bet here in this spot unless they have something. You are not pot committed at this point of the tournament, and can survive a decent bit longer. I would look for a better spot.

T

tim1561

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In addition he had like 3,4/1 to call my check raise shove which is a really good price.
there are like 24 combos with he has beat of my 3 bet range (TT-KK)
and like 39 combos with beat his hand (AA/AT-AK)
? 39/29= 1,625/1 ?
Ps: Is that the right amount of combos? I'am not really into this combo number crunching ;)

T

tim1561

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You're missing a couple of stats to make this a great discussion. What are your stats? What was your table image? And lastly, what was villain's stack size. Clearly he's got you covered, but if he had a lot more, then I think that factors into whether he can risk to call your all in.

I don't love your raise here, if he's that aggressive he's not folding. With that sort of VPIP, his range definitely includes weak aces. And for him to bet into a re-raiser, he'd be crazy to think you'd fold. Also, I'm not sure why you think a pot bet is a weird bet. A lot of people bet pot since sites offer an easy button to do that.

I think most villains don't bet here in this spot unless they have something. You are not pot committed at this point of the tournament, and can survive a decent bit longer. I would look for a better spot.

I like some of your points i didn't take into consideration. Thanks!
This pot sized bet just seemed so ''i wanna scare you out of the pot'' to me you know? i mean what is he trying to accomplish with this size? bloating the pot against bigger Aces or hoping to get called of by worse? It didn't add to me

Villain had a big stack of 82k
My table image was active due to a good run of cards thus my 3bet percentage was 14% over 51 hands but i never bluffed before neither have i showed that i lightly 3 bet on this table. Therefore Vpip and PFR where on the ''looking loose'' side on this sample/Table

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop cbet small like 2000-3000 and fold if villain shove, I think this optimal line against LAG.

T

tim1561

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this advise. That line would have not cost me my tournament live ;)