Early tournament hand

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing the million dollar qualifier on CD poker. It was very early in the tournament, so few reads on the players. Everybody had around 1500 in chips. The tourney had just over 500 participants and a ticket was awarded to top 5. So my plan was to take some risks early on. The play of my opponents was a bit too loose, but no huge donkeys.

Jodiblon is on the button
Dealer: your cards K♥A♥
Dealer: xxhotshot folds
Dealer: deejay23 goes All-in 10
Dealer: yourpd folds
Dealer: busterboy calls 20
Dealer: Osmann1 raises 80
Dealer: AnnaN calls 80
Dealer: jodiblon folds
Dealer: shopki1o1 calls 70
Dealer: b1zst calls 60
Dealer: busterboy calls 60
Dealer: Dealing Flop
K♠ 7 7♠
Dealer: shopki1o1 checks
Dealer: b1zst checks
Dealer: busterboy bets 60
Dealer: Osmann1 raises 480
Dealer: AnnaN folds
Dealer: shopki1o1 folds
Dealer: b1zst folds

I have 4 opponents if you don't count in the guy who was ai with his last 10 chips, so how do you play this hand. I thoght it was unlikely any of my opponents had a 7 but it was possible someone was playing A7 or a suited connector with a 7 in it. I was hoping that a player with a king would give me some action. Did I play the hand to aggresive on the flop, and how are you reacting if Busterboy comes over the top?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard to say without any reads
I think the raise was a little overly aggressive; if someone has a 7 they're going to have you pot committed, and if someone has a weaker K they might fold here, so i think a smaller raise would be better
then again there is also a flush draw so you should bet enough to push the drawers out
if he comes over the top then i think its safe to assume he has a 7
what was the buy-in for the tourney?

C

clarkyballs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like chuckt's analysis. I tend to be more agressive. You just never know what your opponent could be playing nowadays. There was a small bet in front of you...which i interpret as a smaller k or an aq or aj...something like that. But you just never know....I think you did the right thing by making a raise of about 4x the original bet. Some of this may change depending on chipstacks and a couple other variables. Overall i like your play. I think some morons would even come over the top of your raise with a smaller k. this is what online poker is doing to the game.

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It costed 150 CD points, so it was almost free. However the level of play was much higher than a freeroll.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he comes over the top put him all-in. Maybe he has got a 7, but there's only one way to find out! Even if he has - worst case scenario - you can still catch.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands