Early position preflop shove with JAos... bad or good play?

Was that the correct or incorrect play?

• Good move

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Bad move

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Think about it again...against any random hand you have only 54% equity.

WHen does 'any random hand' make up villain's hand in a spot like this?

OP, I don't think you can just discount initial raiser as not being strong at all (& therefore reinforcing your decision here)... think about what he would be thinking >>> He's raised from EP & yet a SS has 'STILL' opted to shove allin (knowing they'd not have any Fold equity in this spot)...

Now another player also rrai ... <<< what does EP raiser now think of that player's potential range?
The LP rrai player has seen a raise from UTG (into a field of re-shove stacks I will also add), then a SS player w 11bb's shoves allin (LP must be thinking the SS has decent here, knowing they don't have any FE).

EP sees this.... is 'thinking about what LP is thinking'... and folds. This is in no way an indicator that they'd EVER be folding vs. your shove alone (obv.) & might just mean they don't have monsters.

I think the shove is marginal.... but 'it depends', lol. I'd probably look for different spot (but 'it depends'... I wasn't on the table so I have zero clue of table dynamics.. ie. are there many 'spots' even presenting themselve's? are there any players to my left who I figure I can steal often vs. Is there already alot of raise/rrai action happening. Has villain r/f prior vs. a SS or RSS?) Makes a difference when you're sitting on the table & are able to process all the info. you've been getting since sitting at that table.

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like A J at all, but with that said, the only reason I voted "bad move" was because the only other option was "good move".

You had a good read on the initial raiser, and that was proven when he folded to a shove. However, the initial raiser was the only person to have acted before your shove, and to me there wasn't enough information available to risk my life.

11x big blinds is scary, but that late in a tournament, the size of the blinds is a factor for nearly everyone.

I would have folded, and allowed the bigger stacks to knock out the aggressively weak player, increasing my chances to cash.

I would rather be down to 9.5 big blinds and get late position for a few hands.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think it was worth playing Ace of Diamonds out of position because we beat a lot of hands in position

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is clearly a debatable situation as there are many ways people play a short stack. For me it's an insta fold. That may not be the correct play but I'm confident I'm going to see a better starting hand, position, etc before my chips are too low. I like to wait it out that deep with a short stack if not getting cards, and will gladly let the blinds bust me if that's the way it goes. Reason being, for me, is I will get further and may even survive the bubble. I don't feel I need to risk even only 11 BB's in this spot with AJos, even with the same read on said player, because he is only the first player to enter the pot and he's right before you. So surely AJ off can beat him, but so many times one of the 5 others behind will have that hand beat right now, whether it's a better ace or a pp. There have been many a time where I was being blinded out in MTT's, say 8 paid of 20 left out of 85 players and I'm sitting in the bottom 3 and I end up reaching the money or even won. A chip and a chair as they say.
If you're goal is winning every tournament, then you would tend to take more risks to get chips, and maybe play here. If you're content with just reaching the money or getting as close as possible when things aren't totally in your favor in a particular tournament I think you can easily lay this down. Don't get me wrong, I love to win as many as possible but the fact is there needs to be a lot going your way, example you play this hand here and it sucks out on the AK, or you're constantly getting pushed on with big hands. When things aren't going that way it's probably no longer something we can win but we're gonna hang on until we have a hand/position we don't have to question later, or our stack just becomes so low we have to gamble.