DON, Call or Fold?

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to this format and wanted some advice on a spot I had today.

6max $11 Double or Nothing
Blinds 50/100 (no ante)
5/6 players remain.

Stacks:
SB - 17.7 BB
BB - 24.5 BB
UTG - 14.5 BB
Hero - 12.5 BB
BTN - 21 BB

Under the gun shoves all-in. Next to act we have pocket 10's. Call or Fold?

Normally I'd autocall but in my limited experience most players are fairly conservative in these spots so it was odd he would shove such a relatively big stack. We are the short stack but still had over 10 blinds so I felt I could find a better spot. I folded and he had AKo.I ended up busting 4th, 88 < AA in a short stacked blind battle. :(

knileh

knileh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't call. There is plenty of poker to be played. You let variance "take the wheel of your destiny" when you go all-in. Trust in your skill.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's an easy fold. Calling with pocket tens in that particular spot is a bad idea. If you have them in late position then you can obviously open. You can raise/shove from small blind and you can call with them if you are big blind and someone in small blind shoves.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
With it being a 6-man DoN, sitting on 12bb's I think I gii here.
As you said, it seemed like an odd spot to shove with his stack size (or something to that affect)
I'd assume we're not looking at QQ+ here, mostly likely AK, maybe AQs+(<?), TT-JJ

(if this were a 10man & bubble situation I would insta-fold)

idk... meh... no ante, maybe not :(

nah... I call it off. (< changed my mind again, lol)

Last edited:
Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for responses. It was the most out of line shove I saw in that format this week. I probably should have put him on exactly AK but even knowing that I think we should still fold in that spot.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. Like PO, I doubt he has QQ+, so his range looks like overs and middle pairs, say 77 or 88 to JJ. With 12bb, having the smallest stack, albeit not by much, and being ahead of this range, it seems too conservative to fold.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold
it is a coin flip,in the best case for you. ak aq maybe but he could have kk qq jj too.
also its a double or nothing sng.you dont want the 1st place there

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am on the call side on this one. Most probably low pocket pairs or Ax, unless you have a history on the villain that he is shoving with high pocket pairs.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call here likewise.

We are slightly ahead any overcards and big advantage on low pairs.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call here because we will need to take some risks 6 and 5 handed to have a stack to withstand the bubble.

if this were on the bubble, I might find a fold.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
UTG unlikely to be shoving AA KK for the blinds so range is pkt pairs QQ and under + A - broadway.
How often will you get a pocket pair before the blinds bite hard?
You have a fifty/fifty decision.Personally with 12BBs and 3 stacks ahead of me I call.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call your stack is to small and his range has to be looser because he is also short stacked.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh its a double or nothing dont listen to my previous comment then

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking about fold as we still have 3 players to act including the Big stack. But we have the short stack that will dwindle even further as the blinds hit us in the next couple of hands. Is that the primary reason we call?

If the UTG has folded are we GII?

Apologies for the derail from the OP

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
insta fold at that blind level....unless this dude has been shoving alot of the from the jump, then i may ponder it

C

cyclone45

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the speed of bets too... If they insta shove they're strong!

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If opponent is loose, call. If tight, fold. If not sure, fold.

Anyways, after tournament is finished I would open MTT tab and start playing somewhat more interesting games :)

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If opponent is loose, call. If tight, fold. If not sure, fold.

Anyways, after tournament is finished I would open MTT tab and start playing somewhat more interesting games :)

With the size of the stack , do not care how playing villain tight or loose ,,, With 14bb here not only top range , and anyway if we know what he shove top 10% hands , we have all the same more equity around 52%.. Actually here have villain about 20% range

So easy call , we have only 12bb TT its very strong hand , here villain range like Ax all broadway and all pairs,, In most cases, we will be ahead vs villain,,

if this were on the bubble, I might find a fold.

In DON never fold TT its top our range ,even though bubble , we lost many value if fold
As I said, most of the cases we will be ahead...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch the speed of bets too... If they insta shove they're strong!

I disagree with this.

When people instantly bet it usually means to me that they just planned on betting preflop. Which can be strong or weak. If they have a high Cbet % then it actually means nothing; or slightly tipped towards a Cbet.

But when people flop really strong hands they almost never instantly act. They take a second to decide on the best bet size, whether to slow play etc.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although you have the shortest stack, but I would fold . Because all-in UTG and in the best case, toss a coin.

Folding in Poker