Does this make any sense to you?

HappyHowie

HappyHowie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find this hand rather strange. I can’t figure out what the villain had or why he played the hand the way he did. Maybe you can figure it out.

This was about forty-five minutes into a freeroll at Poker Starts on Sunday, 9/30. 1605 players started and about half of them were already gone. That makes the average stack about 3000. The blinds were 75/150. I had 2960 chips and the villain had 7170 and was right behind the chip leader at the table. I’m not sure if he was playing that well because he was getting a lot of winning hands. I did not have a read on him except that he had been aggressive. He was sitting to my immediate right.

I’m dealt AdQc in fourth position. Two folds and the villain limps. I raise to 300 (a bad move: a min raise). The big blind and the villain call. Pot is 975.

Flop is 3h Ac 4d. Checked to me and I bet 560. I figure the bet here should be one-half to pot size. The big blind folds and the villain calls. Pot is 2095.

Turn is Jd. This is hardly an obvious scare card. Check to me and I bet 1500. He calls. Pot is now 5095 and I have only 600 left. I should have bet this on the turn.

River is 7c. A nothing card; board is 3h Ac 4d Jd 7c. Check to me and I bet my last 600. He folds. I repeat, he invests 2360 into the pot and folds to my last 600.

What kind of a draw could he have been on that he would call a raise preflop, check and call until the river with an uncoordinated board, then fold on the river? Maybe 55 and he was hoping for a 5 or a 2 for a straight? Looking back at the hand, I think that I played it poorly and he decided I had a weak hand, but then why not call the final bet?

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe a suited 2 gapper? 5d8d?

Bit of a stretch but, takes a stab at the str8, flush draw keeps him interested, whiffed and was sitting with nearly nut low on the river?

N

nicolas65

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nut flush draw. aces kept him in but small kicker folded him out on the river b/c he put you on pretty much what you were holding

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a freeroll. A play that doesn't make sense is more normal than one that does ;) My guess would be that he was chasing the gutshot and missed.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with Chuck as far as explanation goes.

The only reason I'm posting is to that I like your 1) critiquing your own play, and 2) understanding how bad his play was to the point of being confused by it.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he's holding 5-7, maybe suited diamonds, he's playing a double belly buster, with the flush draw, making it a triple belly buster??????????

clamman1

clamman1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeqa im with dj expect for 1 thing i dont no how this guy was playing but the way he was calling with nothing can only mreean he had maybe 2 draws i belevie he had 53 of diamonds this way he had a pair and backdoor draw for flush