Could you fold?

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, I've decided to start playing some more MTT. I'm gonna post my (exit) hands or (cripple) hands for you guys to help me out.

This one is a $50 MTT with about 65 people in it. There are 9 people left and the top 10 get paid. Everyone is playing tight. This hand hurt bad, but I'm not posting for bad beat praise. Winning this hand would have gave me the chip lead. But, If I would of folded(which I didn't even think to do) I still would of been in the game and in 6th position. I want to know your thinking in playing this, here is mine:

pre flop: short stack goes All in, nicog7 calls then I call with 10's. (thinking pp for short stack and A-K for nicog7)

Flop: I hit my set! nicog7 goes All in first. I didn't even think much before calling. I call. See AA and I know I am done. Should I have thought about this more before calling? Is there a way I lay this down?

turn, river history!

So, It was the second best hand. Those are the 2 cards that could kill me and they did? Any way to fold?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_015.jpg
    ScreenHunter_015.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 67
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not getting all of your chips in at some point in this hand would have been a crime. You were destined to lose this. I don't think it's even debatable.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless you are psychic Sammy I don't see where you would want to play this any different. As FP points out above doing the right thing doesn't always produce a winner. Nice job on making another final table.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just like kenz and FP said, there was no way in hell you could get away from that. Maybe in a cash game if somehow this situation came up and a guy pushed his whole stack in you might consider it, but even then, you have the second best hand possible on that board.
Tough beat, sammy but there was no way you could avoid that.

AmadorEd

AmadorEd

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would be very hard to fold there, you knew he had to have something, just probaly not pocket rockets right?

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AmadorEd said:
Would be very hard to fold there, you knew he had to have something, just probaly not pocket rockets right?
Yeah I think I'd put him on AK or AQ but you never want to admit he might have AA. I think most of us would make the same play here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if you had AA would you push that flop?
he played it kind of strange, i think he was scared of the flush draw, but at this point i do NOT put him on trips.

p.s. Sammy what was the competition like in this one in comparison with the $10 3K?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ChuckTs said:
well if you had AA would you push that flop?

Would I push my last 4k into a 5k pot? Of course.

Still, I don't even see what's discussable here, you were destined to lose chips.

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ChuckTs said:
p.s. Sammy what was the competition like in this one in comparison with the $10 3K?

It was way less crazy than any other tourney I have played. Now I'm sure this had a lot to do with the $50 buy in amount. Also there were only 65 total entries (about that I think). There is usually around 300 in that 3K. So the amount of people there accounts for more crazies. I can only partly remember two crazy moves (all in). So I guess in an overall way the players are better so it might limit the bad beats. When this one got to the end. (I finished watching it) It was a real, real, tight table. I think there were 6 players for over a half hour.

Dorkus Malorkus said:
Still, I don't even see what's discussable here, you were destined to lose chips.

Well, I still am rather new at this game.(1&1/2yrs) Trying to learn all the time. I see from all the posts here that it was an auto-call situation. I just didn't know if it was or not. My flop reading skills need improvement for sure, I didn't know if this was readable or not.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, when you start putting villain on a range it becomes obvious. Using the tight end of possible ranges, let's say he could be pushing the flop with AA, AK-AT, A4, 44.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 87.3569 % 87.36% 00.00% { TdTh }
Hand 2: 12.6431 % 12.64% 00.00% { AA, 44, ATs+, A4s, ATo+, A4o }

You're miles ahead of even the tightest possible range you could put villain on, and there's extra chips in the pot from the guy who pushed pf, so you can't fold here, ever, even without considering the possibility that villain is pushing with a weak ace/flush draw/total bluff.

H8POKER

H8POKER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have called as well, you had trips and really I only toss it if you put him on the AA and even then you would have to be sure.

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dorkus Malorkus said:
Well, when you start putting villain on a range it becomes obvious. Using the tight end of possible ranges, let's say he could be pushing the flop with AA, AK-AT, A4, 44.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 87.3569 % 87.36% 00.00% { TdTh }
Hand 2: 12.6431 % 12.64% 00.00% { AA, 44, ATs+, A4s, ATo+, A4o }

You're miles ahead of even the tightest possible range you could put villain on, and there's extra chips in the pot from the guy who pushed pf, so you can't fold here, ever, even without considering the possibility that villain is pushing with a weak ace/flush draw/total bluff.

That is an excellent post!! It puts it in pespective that it is an absolute auto call. Now Dorkus, when your playing do you have all this info during the hand or do you just figure it out later like in this case? If your doing this while your playing I want a brain transplant switch with ya.:D Thanks

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not exactly. In a case like this it's simple enough though because I know his range comprises at least half a dozen possible hands, only one of which is ahead of me.

With marginal decisions, it's often impossible to calculate whether calling a push is +EV or not. Maybe you can't put your opponent on a set range due to having no reads, or maybe you can but can't work out whether you're ahead or not (Pokerstove works well here - google it). This is where instinct and 'feel' (and luck!) comes in, I suppose.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still trying to figure out why the donk went all in with K,9 offsuit.:eek:

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
F Paulsson said:
Not getting all of your chips in at some point in this hand would have been a crime. You were destined to lose this. I don't think it's even debatable.

Couldnt sum it up any better

I didnt even look at how you played the hand! There is almost no way of getting away from the hand

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t1riel said:
I would have gone all-in with that hand, in that situation, with those blinds. That's pretty much his last chance - he goes all in, the 3 behind him and the small blind fold, because he's still got sufficient chips (but not for long) to make a dent in their stacks, the BB calls (but hopefully with a worse hand than K9), and he survives. Of course 4 way in a pot (against AA and 10 10) he had no chance, but he was as good as dead anyway. What would you have done in that situation?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t1riel said:

^ What Rob said.

Folding in Poker