Could I have gotten more chips out of this hand?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok. The blinds are 10/20. I'm the second player to the dealer's left with eight people at the table. One player raises it to 50. I have :ad4: :jd4: . I call. The player after me also calls. Everyone else folds. The flop comes:

:jc4: :6d4: :js4: .

The riaser checks. I check. The player after bets 200. The raiser folds and I call. The turn is:
:3s4: .
I check and the player after me checks.
The river:
:9c4: .
I bet 700. The player after me calls saying "Too late for that bet."
He has::10h4: :jh4: .
I win with Ace kicker and he was pissed. I tried slow play this but now that I know what he has I'm thinking I should have bet a decent size on the turn and maybe riase on the river. I slowplayed it because I thought I had the best hand and chances were slim his hand was going to beat my hand.
Honestly, I thought he had a pair of 6s and I didn't want to scare him out of the pot with a raise early. What did I do wrong/right?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only thing i can think of is either a bet on the turn small enough that he would call with a weaker hand or an oversized bet to maybe make him think that you're trying to steal - which probably wouldn't work if he had a weak hand and was bluffing with the flop bet

holduplaya

holduplaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say maybe it was after the flop. When he bet 200 I would have raised him to 400 then I'm pretty sure the betting afterwards will fall into place.

Other then that a bet on the turn would have made him scared about a boat.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really depends on the table, you could probably bet about the pot showing that you have the 6 or maybe a middle pair and get the player after to slowplay you :)

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could you have gotten more? Of course. Would you have folded to any bet with his hand (or yours) with no overcards and no draws. With 3 J's accounted for, neither of you should have feared the case jack. I would have bet a little less assuming that anything greater would scare him away, but his comment about it being too late for that bet tells me he felt he had the best hand and probably would have called anything. And with [Jh][10h] I'm a little surprised he didn't reraise himself.

Last edited:
S

shwingzilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you could have gotten more chips. If you knew what his hand was. Was this a live game? You could have a chance at reading something. Over the internet however, there's no way you could have known what his hand was, and your bets were fine.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it pretty well and, in hindsight, yes you could have made a LOT more. However, the chances of him holding the only remaining J is pretty slim so betting out a small amount may have been your best bet, although I most probably would have played it identical to you. The only difference is I would have raised preflop, and he most probably would have called

The bet you made on the river was pretty big and you was pretty lucky to get a call. I would have prob bet half the pot hoping for a call, the fact he didnt go OTT on you is pretty unforunate but well played

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems like you were both trying to trap each other, i think you made the rite bet on the river after 2 checks, if he had J 9 you were beat, but by betting 700 he could have raised you, and you still had a choice to call or not, I doubt i would have folded even if he went allin, but ive been beat like that already when ive had 3 of a kind with an Ace, not often though, Them hands can be tricky, so i think you played it ok.
buck

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Buck. Both players trying to lay the same trap probably did more damage than good for more chips in the pot. Hindsight tells you that a raise/reraise scenario could've happened, but all in all it was played fine.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like your post-flop play, but I'm not sure I would have checked on the turn. I think I would have let out with a pot-sized bet there. See what happens. If he re-raises, then push all-in.

Or, if I did check the turn, I think I would have led out with a larger bet.

But hey, like the guys said, you took down a decent sized pot anyway, so props, T. :)

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the turn the best bet to milk a little more out most likely should have been have the half the players bet. 100 would have sucked him in.

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In hindsight you could of got more action, but in real time its a different ball game.
Even though the flop didnt throw up any straight or flush draws and you hit trips with an Ace kicker, it was still a tricky flop.
It is also hard to assume your opponent had the case Jack, but when the flop is paired up, it is always wise to allow yourself a small amount of caution.
The plan was to trap your opponent and i dont see a lot wrong with how you went about it.
When your opponent bet out for 200 it is fair to assume he caught a part of the flop, and while hoping it was the six that interested him, there is also no reason why you shouldnt allow for other possibles.
Unlikely that it was that he was holding a Jack, its correct to to bring this into your thinking, and furthermore and more importantly what other card does he have if indeed he does have the case Jack.
While it is unlikely that he has J-6, it would be reasonable to put him on a hand such as J-K, J-Q, J-10, or even J-9 if he was a loose player.
With this in mind, it can be helpful to throw some chips into the pot to try and find out where you are, to probe and see what your opponents actions and reactions are.
Feeler bets, bets that do not make your opponent suspect anything untoward, infact bets that will make him more convinced that he is ahead.
He showed the inital interest with his bet of 200 and even putting him on a six, i would be hopeful that any feeler bets wouldnt scare him away.
This way the pot is building up at an innocent but profitable pace allowing you to extract more chips.

With all this said, the real danger would involve the turn or the river.
As it turned out, low none threatening cards were dealt on 4th and 5th street, but if a King, Queen, or Ten had been dealt then things could of been very different.
So in that sense, by playing the hand the way you did, you might of saved yourself some chips.
It is not always about extracting the most chips possible from your opponent, sometimes its about not risking more chips than you need to when you dont hold the ABSOLUTE nuts.
When it comes to flops its always a good adage to keep in mind, BEWARE THE PAIR as they can sometimes hurt you.
A good thing is to never let that warning stop you playing such hands with confidence and imagination, but its also always wise to allow it into your thought proccess.

zinzan1000 stay lucky

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would just bet as if I was representing one fo the small pairs, as he did with the bet after the flop. He bet 200, so he would probably call another $200 bet if you would have put ti out there. The $700 after the river is good - making the final bet higher when you have trips with an A kicker is almost always a good idea.

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, poker is intense! I will have to look at this in the future, when I am better rested.

Thanks for posting.
Cheers

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Poker Chips - History of Chips