CC OFC on UB: AJs from SB

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand #48099143-138 at CCOFW1pm-002 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Started at 17/Nov/07 14:38:33

nicoiko is at seat 1 with 11620.
Dycei is at seat 2 with 420.
tenbob07 is at seat 3 with 80.
Trents Momm is at seat 5 with 2005.
NineLions is at seat 6 with 3920.
dj11_ is at seat 7 with 7655.
Jefe Grandoso is at seat 8 with 35.
SHERRY524 is at seat 9 with 4340.
The button is at seat 5.

NineLions posts the small blind of 100.
dj11_ posts the big blind of 200.

nicoiko: -- --
Dycei: -- --
tenbob07: -- --
Trents Momm: -- --
NineLions: Ac Jc
dj11_: -- --
Jefe Grandoso: -- --
SHERRY524: -- --

Pre-flop:

Jefe Grandoso folds. SHERRY524 folds. nicoiko
calls. Dycei folds. tenbob07 folds. Trents Momm
calls. NineLions raises to 1000. dj11_ folds.
nicoiko re-raises to 3200. Trents Momm folds.

nico (as always, whenever I play him it seems :)) is the tourney chip leader.

AJs in the SB I'm more inclined to raise as I'll be out of position. I hope to take the pot down now, or at least see the flop having shown that I have a hand. nico limped, and now re-raises me essentially all in.

I have my own reads on the two limpers, as have many of you having played them before too, but I won't add it right now.

Shove or fold?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only vaguely remember this hand.

It is also the first time I have played against nico. It may not have been until later that I realized what his betting pace is. Had I known then what I know now, and were playing your cards in your position, I think I would have at least called, if not shoved.

Nico had been very pushy, a lot like me before I got to this table. After a while, and a couple of suckout showdowns, I saw (sort of) what he was doing. With position it looked like he was forcing any ace. Not to mention his capability of a pure bluff.

Ursala

Ursala

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess it is time for me to start how to read these things. I don't understand why you are only giveing yourself the option to shove or fold. Can't you just call and see what happens next?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, I've played nico at Costa before. He knows how to use a big stack. :)

Ursala, nico has raised my bet of 1000 to 3200, meaning the pot would be ~ 7000 if I just call and I will have only have 720 left with the blinds at 100/200. Both the pot size relative to my remaining stack, and the size of the blinds make it bad to just call and leave myself the option of folding.

Does that make sense? If not, just ask.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't played that many hands against nico, so I really don't have much of a read. Since he is a long time CC'er I would narrow his range down to a low pocket pair. I wouldn't rule out AA, but you are likely flipping here. I would figure something like 33-77. I see this play often from big stacks... they limp for set value then put a raiser at a decision for all their chips (if raised).

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only vaguely remember this hand.

It is also the first time I have played against nico. It may not have been until later that I realized what his betting pace is. Had I known then what I know now, and were playing your cards in your position, I think I would have at least called, if not shoved.

Nico had been very pushy, a lot like me before I got to this table. After a while, and a couple of suckout showdowns, I saw (sort of) what he was doing. With position it looked like he was forcing any ace. Not to mention his capability of a pure bluff.

Obviously i'm able to make a bluff but i'm also able to bluff on my betting range. :D
I began to see that on a specific hand CCOP#1 where i think it was combu and AG disserting about what my hand was and neither of them were right.
That was really funny. :)

Yup, I've played nico at Costa before. He knows how to use a big stack. :)

Ursala, nico has raised my bet of 1000 to 3200, meaning the pot would be ~ 7000 if I just call and I will have only have 720 left with the blinds at 100/200. Both the pot size relative to my remaining stack, and the size of the blinds make it bad to just call and leave myself the option of folding.

Does that make sense? If not, just ask.

Yep no doubt I change gears when i'm the big stack but... not really at that moment of a tounament. In this hand speciallly, I must admit i made a move because of the difference between our stacks ;)

I haven't played that many hands against nico, so I really don't have much of a read. Since he is a long time CC'er I would narrow his range down to a low pocket pair. I wouldn't rule out AA, but you are likely flipping here. I would figure something like 33-77. I see this play often from big stacks... they limp for set value then put a raiser at a decision for all their chips (if raised).

Rob is exactly right. I made this move as I know what range of hands Ninelions could have raised with.
My reraise was just a warning message : "You will play your tourney on that hand. I've got a legitimate hand. What about you?"

Basically I wouldn't expect you to call or push with that hand and the middle stack you have as I think my reraise would have indicated you will have to play a coinflip at the best.
So when you shove I was just thinking "OK his hand got me beat I need to hit my flop". I was really amazed you made such a push. :)

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, this is one of my problems with aggression when faced with aggression.

Against bad players, they might make your move with KQ/KJ or worse, and usually I am playing against weaker players than at this tourney.

But, I should have stopped to think, from what I know if nico, what would nico limp preflop, then make that raise with? Maybe he's just testing me, but more likely the obvious answer; a middle pair, where I'm a coinflip and he's only risking a portion of his stack.

Nice win, btw, nico.

Edit: I pushed, nico had a pair of sixes, one of which filled a flush even though I caught an ace on the river. An unlikely result, but still a bad push on my part given the situation.

Last edited: