Call or fold here?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Below is a stars $16 MTT. I've been at the table for about two orbits, lot of limping, I've seen the flop only one or two hands. UTG and I were at the same table earlier - 32/12, likes taking risks - he and I traded about a third of our stacks at the earlier table back and forth - he typically was raising pf aggressively at the earlier table, but had limped a few times in the last two orbits. My stats were around 23/15 at the earlier table, I think - he would've seen me as slightly laggy, I think, based on the hands we showed down.

What do you think of the pf raise? What's my next move?

Stacks:
* MP3 with 6446
* CO with 28463
* BTN with 6556
* SB with 8452
* BB with 16911
* UTG with 14089
* UTG+1 with 9575
* MP1 with 17600
* MP2 with 14162

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 300/600
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to BB:A♥ 9♦
* * Sklansky group 8
Preflop:
* * UTG calls [600]
* * 5 players fold.
* * BTN calls [600]
* * SB calls [300]
* * Hero raises 1800 to 2400
* * UTG calls [1800]
* * 2 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 7
* * Potsize: 6000
Flop:
* * 9♣ 7♣ 7♦
* * Hero bets [3500]
* * 2 players fold.
* * UTG raises 8139 to 11639 [ all-in ]

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the raise, it's too small for the amount that's already in the pot. A 'standard' raise here would be to 4200 but that's 25% of your stack in which case you might as well shove AI. I'd prefer to check this and make a 1/2 pot bet on that flop.

As played I'd be very tempted to call this as UTG could easily have a small pocket pair, draw or air and just be trying to force you off the hand with your weak preflop bet and what looks like a standard C-bet.

Last edited:
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call. sorry if he had you beat but he can easily have any weaker 9/88/quite a few different draws/all sorts of small pocket pairs that people are stupid with

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback. The pf raise was an attempt to shut down the limpers - Jilly, i'll re-think the size of the pf raise, much appreciated.

I did call - based on his earlier play, the pf limp/call in first position, and the all-in after I look like I'm c-betting, I figured him for a worse 9, a weak ace, low pair, or sc, didn't have him on a strong hand at all - and if he's got a 7 or an overpair, such is life.

The result was disappointing (he hit his flush on the turn, Ac3c), but I felt pretty good about my read - was just wondering if I was reading the situation appropriately, and whether the pf raise was appropriate. If I'd seen his cards, it's an obvious call, since he's a 2 to 1 dog on the flop - and I think his range is huge here. Thanks for the read, combuboom.

Folding in Poker