CALL OR FOLD

J

Joed1580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30 players left pocket JJ in bb 18bbs new to table utg shoves 40bbs I call he has AQs knocks me out

K

K1CRA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold at the BB versus one player in spot.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats the buyin, places paid, my rank, etc.

I want to know them first before any decision at my end.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just from my experience I find large bbs open shoves to either be someone excited to have aces but more often to be a smaller pair like 10's that don't want to see a flop and have overcards hit.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with 18 bb thats an easy call against only 1 shove.. if other players shove as well you can consider folding otherwise you make the right decision. also this wasnt a coinflip because you were ahead 54% to 46% preflop so with jacks you are only losing to qq,kk and aa any other hand you are going to be at least 53% ahead so you have to call with jacks in that spot.

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call is not bad at all... you just lose a flip ... gg

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that's an easy call. Unless you have a lot of hands on him and he is a super nit. Just lost a flip no big deal.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 18bb and 30 players left pocket Jacks is just too strong to let go. You got to win coin flips if we are to go deeper. Good call nonetheless. :icon_thum

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think this is usually a hand that doesn't want to see a flop.

Calling, gg.

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30 players left pocket JJ in bb 18bbs new to table utg shoves 40bbs I call he has AQs knocks me out

Most of the time you must call there....shoving from utg with 40bb....means 90% that he have cards that he can't play them with open-bet....so most of the time he have AK AQ AJs...TT or 99 .....and all of these you beat....if he hit ...the call was good! ;)

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be wanting to see stats of the SB and any previous hand history, is he known for shipping light? is this something he does regularly from the small blind? What stakes are you playing? I believe this is a call most of the time unless your guy is playing like an 8/5 or tighter and pay jumps are worth picking a less riskier spot, in my opinion.

Personally, however, in the reverse situation I have been experimenting with, when in the small blind deep in MTT's (micro) and stacks are shallow, often open shoving (or occasionally limping) my Monsters and 2.25x my weaker or medium hands against weaker players, or those that have shown themselves to be loose and very aggressive to induce a call on the assumption that I am doing this light and stealing. This seems to be working well at these stakes and I would say I extract max value from these hands more often with regular calls by hands such as A2o J8s K7o etc which I have in really bad shape. Stack sizes are also a consideration here though, for eg. if i am the the 8-12 range I am open shipping a lot wider and playing less tricky. HTH

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't really post results in Hand analysis, as it may lead to skewed responses. Post the hand and let people discuss what they would do and then post the result afterwards.

westside1950

westside1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitly call , insta-shove a very small number of times means super-strenght - more times its a okay, but marginal hand for shoving :)

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this type of sitaution I make the call 99 percent of the time, because you have to win races and you play to win not to just move up in cashes... I like the call it is just unlucky that you got knocked out...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nearly always calling off here. would have to be some type of spectacular situation to find a fold.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would think if UTG pushed 40 bb Good chance he is packing an A high with lower kicker or a small to medium strength pocket pair.You with JJ in the BB with 18 BB left ,I would have called also.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd have been out like you)) call.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All are advised to make the call. I think that all depends on the situation. In this case; a stack, how many people left before the prize if you are on the tournament, in the cache call. 100% can not say for sure. You have to describe in detail the situation in order to get the right answer.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think call is good choise,it is not bad cards,he have luck.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen UTG's shove like this all time with AA KK QQ for a really weird reason. I was playing live once when I heard someone say that they do that because they get so unlucky with top premium hands that they usually just want to get rid of it by shoving....but this AQs is a new one lol

Folding in Poker