On the button with A8

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG tourney, already one out. On the button with A8 and all folded around to me. Here's most of the story. What does villain have? And should I have done anything different.

SB is a LAG.

*********** # 45 **************
PokerStars Game #19280167186: Tournament #99452142, $10+$1 Hold'em No
Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2008/08/01 - 17:54:06 (ET)
Table '99452142 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Lukypuk (1295 in chips)
Seat 2: daugbjerg (1660 in chips)
Seat 3: brandyballs (285 in chips)
Seat 4: AJoker2 (1730 in chips)
Seat 5: gambleingaz (3055 in chips)
Seat 6: djgolfcan (1820 in chips)
Seat 7: callmevette (1835 in chips)
Seat 8: maui1kanobe (1820 in chips)
callmevette: posts small blind 25
maui1kanobe: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to djgolfcan [Ah 8s]
Lukypuk: folds
daugbjerg: folds
brandyballs: folds
AJoker2: folds
gambleingaz: folds
djgolfcan: raises 100 to 150
callmevette: calls 125
maui1kanobe: folds
*** FLOP *** [8d 3s Kd]
callmevette: bets 150
djgolfcan: raises 150 to 300
callmevette: calls 150
*** TURN *** [8d 3s Kd] [3h]
djgolfcan: calls 150
*** RIVER *** [8d 3s Kd 3h] [Ad]
djgolfcan: raises 250 to 400
callmevette: raises 250 to 650
djgolfcan: calls 250

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had some pretty good experience at the 9 max 10$ sngs, and to me the hand is played pretty awkwardly by the villain. From the sweet minraise on the flop it could be kq making a weak raise which I see quite often. the river is interesting though. Obviously it looks like a pretty high flush. I think if he boated up he would have raised more on the river since you showed some good aggression on the river, although kinda weak. I can't see him value betting that low with a boat, and kudos to him if he did.

But i think on the river with that 3 bet I think its any where from AK to Q9-QJd.

What has helped my sng game is flop play. If your going to raise his bet on the flop with your hand, I would raise it at the very least 2.75-4 times his bet. It just looks like a weak button raise from the villains point of view, and what if he did happen to have a flush draw or something that could potentially dominate you on the turn or river. You have to punish feeler bets often in sngs, I don't get flat called or 3 bet often on the flop with air. a reraise to around 450 may have helped you know where you were at sooner than a min raise. But who knows maybe you were ahead the whole time?

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, dufferdevon, let's review:

10 man sng, down to 9.

you have A8o on the button at a low blind level, that is folded to you, and you standard raise, which is not bad, but could you limp there? You know the play of the tbl, not me, but could you limp there and THEN call a raise from one of the blinds?

Anyway, the SB flat calls, and the BB folds. The ? still remains, if you limp, will they just complete and let the BB check?

So your raise got the BB out. Flop comes [8d 3s Kd] and they weak bet <1/2 pot, and you raise 1.5X their bet????

Could you explain to me what that raise is for? To get them to fold? Find out where you are at? You have midprTK! Do you really think you are good here?

Just flat call here, keep the pot small, you have 2 more streets to make the value bets.

The turn in a 3h, which prs the board. They weak bet and you call? hokay...

the river is the Ad, putting the fl on a pr board, and what happens? The same thing that happened on the flop!

They weak bet, FLAT CALL, you have 2pr on a scary board. Keep the pot small and you may win, or lose the least. You have to start thinking your 2pr is no good. You should have been thinking your flopped middle pr is no good. But no, you do the same raise, you did on the flop, and get raised! IF you had just called, showdown.

Now, you may post the results showing you won the hand, but the problem I have is, you probably needed the miracle river. Here's the deal:

When did you try to win the hand outright? Your raises are much too weak to get a laydown from someone who has bet into you.

At showdown, when you have a weak hand on a pr/fl board, and you get bet into, just CALL. So much beats you, any 3, and fl????

Ok, so go ahead and post how well you played this hand...

S

sublimefool

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it sure looks like he had 2 diamonds to me..probably junk too and maybe even the 3 of diamonds with it...I really doubt he had a king...he probably would have check raised you to see if the king was good on the flop knowing you would bet..I agree with pok35 pretty much..I would have probably called him down all the way...either way you are beat on the river by the flush or trip 3's

H

HeroCall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that your minraise on the flop is terrible, flat on the turn is ok, and raise on the river is again terrible.

So I woulda flatted, flatted, flatted, probably and lost like 650 less chips when he turned over his ace 3

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see nothing wrong with raising on the button here: A8 is not a huge hand, but a statistical favorite to 2 random blind hands. And, I see nothing wrong with betting 2nd pair on the flop, but a flat call was probably a better play. As regards the hand from that point, who knows? Do you have a decent read on villain; wouls he have called a minraise with 2 sooted cards, and be chasing the flush? a mid pp looks more likelyto me, the way it was played. That, or you're facing a pretty passive opponent.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the delay, went on a four day long weekend up to cottage country. Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Villain had A3os . so he won with three of a kind.

N

-newbielicious-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold.... too many ppl can suck out on u... and too many hands are out there that have u dominated... that hand can get u in some serious trouble if u play them wrong.. so fold