Bottom 2 pair

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB is 16/13/5 after seeing him for 130 hands. My instinct was to bin this on the Turn and save some chips, and that he probably had something like AQ or AA... how would you play this differently?

My finger was hovering over the Call button on the river, but I'm getting a bit better at folding these hands, so I folded, which may or may not have been correct.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

SB ($57.75)
Hero ($46.30)
UTG ($30.25)
MP ($54.00)
Button ($50.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J
diamond.gif
, Q
spade.gif
UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Button calls $0.50, SB raises to $1.75, Hero calls $1.25, UTG calls $1.25, Button calls $1.25.

Flop: ($7) A
diamond.gif
, Q
club.gif
, J
heart.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $4, UTG calls $4, Button folds, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($19) 2
club.gif
(3 players)
SB bets $7, Hero calls $7, UTG folds.

River: ($33) 7
spade.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $45 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $78

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont like this hand at all. Id bin preflop, unless it was a blind/blind situation and there was no-one to act behind. Nice flop for you, Id check raise the flop, but then again ive been drinking all day :) But i think id say the same thing tomorrow, and fold to a reraise, proceed with caution to a call.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a tourney or cash game? Makes a difference I think. In an MTT where you need to accumulate chips and people will bet ace X like the nuts I would call. Cash game is more read dependent I think. However I doubt if villan puts you on your hand. You just called the turn which indicates a drawing hand or weakness on your part. Ace-king/ace-ten bets the exact same way. I agree a raise on the turn would have been better information wise. Right now you now very little about what villan holds.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a cash game. I'd have thought AK or AT would play it more cautiously than this. Those hands would definitely bet the flop to see where they're at. Check-calling then leading the turn is just weird, and better fits someone with a set or AQ. Or because it's only 40% pot, the turn bet could be a "probe" with something like AK to see if I raise.

Then going all-in on the river is also pretty weird. If I was on a draw I obviously haven't made it. It's a bit odd if he has a strong hand like a set, as going all-in seems to be begging me to fold. So I could be ahead, or it could be a double-bluff. I only have to win 1 time in 3 to make a call on the river worth it, but I was pretty sure at the time he had at least Aces-up... not so sure now.

The post-flop betting could be explained by a hand like [9c][10c], but I doubt he'd raise pre-flop out of position with this.

One thing I could have done would have been to take my chances and push on the turn, but I'm not sure that my hand is strong enough for that. Maybe folding would be better although I am getting nearly 4:1 on a call, so I think that's a bit weak-tight.

Re: pre-flop call, I see your point tenbob, although I think the limpers are unlikely to re-raise (I can bin it cheaply if they do), and so long as they call, it's costing me $1.25 to see a $7 flop, with position on the raiser. QJ isn't a bad hand 5-handed, and it works pretty well in a multi-way pot.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im thinking you should raise at some point to define your hand broseph. i dont know why he waited til the turn to bet, unless he had flopped the nut straight, but who raises PF with K10