Bodog Sit'n'Go AJo, connecting with jack on flop...

gahdoh

gahdoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain: thetortuga, chip stack: 1800
Me: gahdoh, chip stack: 3200

------------------------------
Starting hand #641498355
------------------------------
NEW HAND
NoypiAstig posts the small blind $50.00
thetortuga posts the big blind $100.00

DEALING POCKETS
sandyschamp folds
gahdoh calls $100.00 (As,Jd)
20StewartFan folds
Coalesce folds
NoypiAstig folds
thetortuga checks

DEALING FLOP (7c,Jd,6h)
thetortuga checks
gahdoh bets $100.00
thetortuga calls $100.00

DEALING TURN (6s)
thetortuga bets $200.00
gahdoh calls $200.00

DEALING RIVER (As)
thetortuga bets $500.00
gahdoh, it's your turn. You have 10 seconds to act

This player had been playing very sporadically. He would play really loose then play super tight. As you can tell by his stack size, he wasn't doing it too well though.

He was on a blind so I thought it was possible he could have had the 6 but, his play was all over the place, it was hard to tell. What would you do in this situation? I'll post the result in a bit.
-gahdoh

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why no raise pre flop? he's either made a set or hit his second pair. it's been my experience on bodog that two pair rarely hold up, i would just call and see the showdown.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to raise this preflop. As it stands he could have some random hand like 6-3 that you let him play for free. You can't fold but you don't want to risk your whole stack with no information. Just Call.

But please, please, raise pre-flop. A good rule of thumb (not allways or course, there are always exceptions) is never limp in if your first in the pot pre-flop. Raise or Fold. Limping should be saved for when there are other limpers already in the pot and you have a speculative hand like 22 or 67 suited.

J

james222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for him to have a 6 makes the most sense cause it doesnt look like the A scared him at all for me it just depends how i feel and how confident i am at the time with my reads. My read here is a 6 but sometimes i pay him off anyways hard to fold top 2 pair there. Also its not a bad spot to call to get more information from the player.

gahdoh

gahdoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to raise this preflop. As it stands he could have some random hand like 6-3 that you let him play for free. You can't fold but you don't want to risk your whole stack with no information. Just Call.

But please, please, raise pre-flop. A good rule of thumb (not allways or course, there are always exceptions) is never limp in if your first in the pot pre-flop. Raise or Fold. Limping should be saved for when there are other limpers already in the pot and you have a speculative hand like 22 or 67 suited.

The problem with raising was that NoypiAstig had over 6k chips at that point and was re-raising a ton of pots preflop. Since I was first to act I only limped. That, plus I really hate AJo lol. It is a really vulnerable hand. I know people who won't even play AJo.

It's the conservative play I know, and I shouldn't have given the BB a free check. But the aggressiveness of the chip-leader plus my weariness with AJo made me limp.

Under these circumstances would you still raise 3-4x the BB here with this hand?

gahdoh

gahdoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up calling him, was a gut-feeling more than anything else.

gahdoh calls $500.00
thetortuga shows a Pair, Sixes
gahdoh shows Two Pair, Aces and Jacks

Hand 641498355:
gahdoh wins($1,850.00)
with Two Pair, Aces and Jacks

He ended up having rags, something like 72o. I won, but still hated the position and the call.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
over bet the pot, maybe 5 to 6 times the BB, buy it if you have to. AJ is too good a starting hand to let it go to waste on a suck out donk like thetortuga. if the chip leader reraises, push all in as you probably have him dominated.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with raising was that NoypiAstig had over 6k chips at that point and was re-raising a ton of pots preflop.

So?

If you raise and get reraised, you have an easy decision to make (you fold, unless he really is an utter maniac who could be repopping with absolutely any two, in which case you could call). What do you do if the SB raises your limp, by the way?

As played, you're setting yourself up to have to make awkward decisions somewhere down the line.

If you raise and get called by the loose guy, you get to play a pot in position. If you get reraised somewhere, you can easily fold. If everyone folds, you get some chips without having to worry about anything. Make your decisions easy.

(As played the river is a pretty standard call)

Last edited:
gahdoh

gahdoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That explanation makes a lot of sense dorkus. hmm. Guess I should rethink AJo.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So?

If you raise and get reraised, you have an easy decision to make (you fold, unless he really is an utter maniac who could be repopping with absolutely any two, in which case you could call). What do you do if the SB raises your limp, by the way?

As played, you're setting yourself up to have to make awkward decisions somewhere down the line.

If you raise and get called by the loose guy, you get to play a pot in position. If you get reraised somewhere, you can easily fold. If everyone folds, you get some chips without having to worry about anything. Make your decisions easy.

as played the river is a pretty standard call)

What he said.

You can't play weak/passive like this, it will kill you,

P

Prolaznik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With only 6 players, you have to raise preflop. In a full ring, though, I'd limp/fold more often than raise. AJo is a fairly weak hand in UTG+1 position...

GReaper

GReaper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd raise strong pre-flop, AJo is a good hand -- not great by any stretch, but good enough. Again, yes, I'm aggressive, but if you bet 3-400 pre-flop instead of calling, maybe Noyp... re-raises or calls, but the blinds sit down unless they've got something in their hands (or they're insane). You minimize the amount of people you play against, and you've got a coin flip. Even KK is vulnerable to one Ace out of 5 cards

Bodog Poker - Bodog PT - Bodog ES - Bovada