BK's play of the day - what's your move here?

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had this hand Friday night in a small buy-in MTT - absolutely hate min-raises in this tournament, since it's usually either A-rag or big pocket pair....I thought about pushing pre-flop here, but decided to see a flop and hope an ace or king doesn't hit and push then.

pokerstars Game #5635482530: Tournament #28151559, $3.00+$0.30 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2006/07/21 - 20:29:03 (ET)
Table '28151559 59' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: sirfab (10575 in chips)
Seat 2: KirkStout (3500 in chips)
Seat 3: cowanjdc (2474 in chips)
Seat 4: Lozdacode (3455 in chips)
Seat 5: BKrywko1 (2365 in chips)
Seat 6: ternyberny (7468 in chips)
Seat 7: SharpLuck (7303 in chips)
Seat 8: alexans (700 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: jeffamy419 (1655 in chips)
BKrywko1: posts small blind 100
ternyberny: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BKrywko1 [Q♣][Q♠]
SharpLuck: folds
alexans: folds
jeffamy419: folds
sirfab: folds
KirkStout: raises 200 to 400
cowanjdc: calls 400
Lozdacode: folds
BKrywko1: calls 300
ternyberny: folds
*** FLOP *** [K♥][6♥][Q♥]

What's your move?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your logic with the minraises (believe me - I hate those damn things too), but I have to say with another caller in the pot, I'm reraising here PF.

Considering you didn't, I'd lead out big. AK is going to be committed, KQ is fuct, and a flush draw is probably going to chase. With 1400 in the pot, I bet about 1200.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have under 12BBs, there's a minraise and a call in front of you and you have QQ. This is about as standard a "push preflop" situation as I can think of. You don't have enough chips to burn them away "seeing flops" - if you had 10k I wouldn't hate your play so much but you have to push here.

As played, the flop is a pretty routine push too. Even if someone has a flush (which is unlikely) you have outs.

Incidentally, though donks will sometimes minraise with big hands, figuring it's good because they'll get action, I find that it's a sign of weakness much more often than not.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris reminded me of chipstacks :p

Considering you only have about 1900 post-flop, I push instead of betting 1200.

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us hate getting JJ because it's one of them tricky hands to play at stages like this - QQ is pretty much the same. I though about jamming this pre-flop, but if this flop missed me I felt I still had a little time to work with here. Knowing that I was going to be leading out after the flop, if I got a good flop I could do a Stop and Go push and make a hand like AK, KQ, or even someone slow-playing AA into a decision here. Ultimately, I think I made the right play here, but I just ran into a bigger hand here:

BKrywko1: bets 1965 and is all-in
KirkStout: folds
cowanjdc: calls 1965
*** TURN *** [Kh 6h Qh] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [Kh 6h Qh 6c] [6s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BKrywko1: shows [Qc Qs] (a full house, Queens full of Sixes)
cowanjdc: shows [Ks Kd] (a full house, Kings full of Sixes)
cowanjdc collected 5330 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5330 | Rake 0
Board [Kh 6h Qh 6c 6s]
Seat 1: sirfab folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: KirkStout folded on the Flop
Seat 3: cowanjdc showed [Ks Kd] and won (5330) with a full house, Kings full of Sixes
Seat 4: Lozdacode (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: BKrywko1 (small blind) showed [Qc Qs] and lost with a full house, Queens full of Sixes
Seat 6: ternyberny (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: SharpLuck folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: alexans folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: jeffamy419 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well that sucks :/

I'm know you know you made the right decision; the only hands that beat you on the flop are KK and a made flush. Easy push, unlucky result.

Nice thread btw

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, JJ/QQ are simple to play with a 12BB stack with a raise in front. By calling and insisting you need to "hit a flop" (what do you consider "hitting a flop for QQ anyway?) to continue, you're risking ending up folding the best hand. If an A or K flop (which they will about a third of the time), are you really just going to check-fold?

QQ is way ahead of the raiser and caller's ranges, so you're obligated to push preflop here. Get your money in while you're almost certain you're way ahead and eliminate any guesswork, because you don't have a big enough stack to get tricky with.

Seriously, I can't stress enough how bad calling preflop is here.