berate me, I probably deserve it

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only real read here was that villian had been getting great cards. Flopped a straight the hand before this, and flopped a flush the hand before that. His rush must be over right?

full tilt poker Game #2488057076: $1 + $0.25 Sit & Go (18893113), Table 1 - 25/50 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:44:46 ET - 2007/05/22
Seat 1: ladyonbreak (2,225)
Seat 2: allin agin (3,505)
Seat 3: COKeefe (3,190)
Seat 4: FreakLove19 (1,225)
Seat 5: High Life Poker (1,415)
Seat 6: dscott0888 (2,980)
Seat 8: dj1113 (1,910)
Seat 9: jumpn-jackflush (7,575)
allin agin posts the small blind of 25
COKeefe posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dj1113 [2c Ac]
FreakLove19 calls 50
High Life Poker folds
dscott0888 folds
dj1113 calls 50
jumpn-jackflush calls 50
ladyonbreak calls 50
allin agin raises to 100
COKeefe folds
FreakLove19 calls 50
dj1113 calls 50
jumpn-jackflush calls 50
ladyonbreak calls 50
*** FLOP *** [2d 2s Kc]
allin agin checks
FreakLove19 checks
dj1113 checks if ever there was a spot for slow play, is this not it?
jumpn-jackflush checks
ladyonbreak checks
*** TURN *** [2d 2s Kc] 3♥
allin agin checks
FreakLove19 che0cks
dj1113 bets 250 tryed to make this look like I had a 3 and wanted to steal the pot.
jumpn-jackflush raises to 1,300 What could he have? Big pair, A3?
ladyonbreak folds
allin agin folds
FreakLove19 folds
dj1113 ???
dj1113 raises to 1,810, and is all in
jumpn-jackflush calls 510

dj1113 shows [2c Ac]
jumpn-jackflush shows [3s 3d]
*** RIVER *** [2d 2s Kc 3h] 9♠
dj1113 shows three of a kind, Twos
jumpn-jackflush shows a full house, Threes full of Twos

OK, perhaps I should not have jumped into this limpfest. However I had been dealt A2 3 or 4 times so far, and had that 'it must be an omen' feeling.

Against the chip leader would an all in shove have worked at the flop?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say you have to fold that pre-flop. But, if you decide to play it, you need to raise it up to get the limpers out. Chances are jumpnjack would have folded his low pocket.

As played though, once he gets his set, there's no way you're not going broke here. Tough break.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, perhaps I should not have jumped into this limpfest. However I had been dealt A2 3 or 4 times so far, and had that 'it must be an omen' feeling.

Hardly a reason to play the hand, as I'm sure you know ;)

Biggest mistake is getting involved with this hand preflop. Fold PF, as Chris would say.

Against the chip leader would an all in shove have worked at the flop?

Letting the results have an effect on you is the worst thing to do. Don't think of the hand in terms of "what could I have done to avoid this beat", but rather "how could I have played this better".

Postflop you played it fine. Like Tammy said, there's not a chance in hell you're not going broke postflop here. I get my money in approx. %100 of the time here ;)

Also, slowplaying on this board is fine, but I prefer just leading it since any king or smaller deuce will be paying you off anyways. This hand does illustrate one of the downsides to slowplaying very clearly, though. Giving your opponent a free card is rarely a good thing.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the limp that much. Nice flop. I would have bet just to build the pot. If they fold then what the heck, you win with dueces, not bad. Sometimes you'll get some action anyway. The check raise is really a better limit play. In NLH, it works best when a loose aggressive opponent has raised preflop and you're pretty sure he'll overbet the flop if he senses weakness. The problem is that you probably wouldn't have called a preflop raise with this hand. Still, no berating here. This was just old fashoned bad luck.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If table has been a weak limpfest, I have no problem with the limp. Otherwise fold PF most every other time.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
disclaimer:
I'm not recommending playing A2s UTG, limp or otherwise, but under the right conditions I'll do it too. If it's a looses passive table and you think you can see a cheap flop then why not? Assuming you don't get too excited about top pair of course.

I'm writing this for the benefit of anyone new to the game. I'm pretty sure dj11 is experienced enough not to get into too much trouble with a hand like this. The real issue here is whether or not to bet the flop or lay low. While a checkraise isn't horrible, I'd lean towards just betting.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FWIW, I have long been folding A-rag in any position MOST of the time. I only posted this because I thought it was the weirdest of ways to lose.

And his rush had to be over, didn't it? And they were soooted.

I don't freak out anymore about losing hands like this, in reality, this was only a mild loss, which I played wrong to lose all my chips. I actually laughed deeply when he showed his boat.

I would always prefer losing a good hand to a great hand, than losing any hand to air.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you just got unlucky any bet you make would have had to be small enough to build the pot and with pocket 3's and the relevant chip stacks you were not pushing him off.

You were destined to lose this one.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with a tight-aggressive style is that the majority of the time, your hand is so obvious that it's hard to get a desired action out of someone. By calling both the flop + turn, you're pretty much telegraphing your slowplay, though occasionally this could be a draw. Even if you raise the flop you're showing great strength.

I'm not sure how to get the most value out of this, but slowplaying to the river is rarely good. I like a flop raise; a combo draw might push you, and another king will stack you. He might not believe you have the goods either if you come out raising. Generally people slowplay (see above :rolleyes:), and so by raising he might not believe you.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hands like this one, which happen often enough, tend to give credence in my mind to the notion that there are days that irregardless of how you play, or what cards you get, you or rather I will be only cheesetoast on a plate for the poker gods.......

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with a tight-aggressive style is that the majority of the time, your hand is so obvious that it's hard to get a desired action out of someone. By calling both the flop + turn, you're pretty much telegraphing your slowplay, though occasionally this could be a draw. Even if you raise the flop you're showing great strength.

I'm not sure how to get the most value out of this, but slowplaying to the river is rarely good. I like a flop raise; a combo draw might push you, and another king will stack you. He might not believe you have the goods either if you come out raising. Generally people slowplay (see above :rolleyes:), and so by raising he might not believe you.

heh....posted this in the completely wrong thread...mods please delete?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heh....posted this in the completely wrong thread...mods please delete?

Heh, I just read the other thread before this one.

First thought was, Chuck's trying to get cute by posting exactly the same answer to a similar question.

Second thought was, what a great idea; come up with a general comment and go around posting the same comment on all threads. Kind of like reading a horoscope.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Me, too.