BB with 4 2...

X

Xyphon

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, I was just playing a freeroll yesterday....made it to 49th.
I was BB with 2 4 off and chip lead of the tourney is the only one to limp in with a call. SB folds.
Flop comes out 2 4 Q. Sweet! I check hoping he hit something and get some money into the pot. He bets the min 300. I call. Turn is nothing spectacular, no draws possible, he bets 300, I call. River, again nothing. No pairs, no draws, Queen is highest card on board. He pauses a second and He goes all in...

(Let me say, though he was chip lead he had been playing very loose and bullying pots for the past hour)

What would you do?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet the flop, bet the turn

As played, fold. You have no idea what kind of hand your opponent has and you have bottom 2P.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to call here. There is a lot of dead money in the pot already, and if he had some spectacular hand, he would probably have made a smaller bet that you would be more likely to call.

bazerias

bazerias

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's hard to say if they have already been loose aggressive and pushing his stack around. were you in the money? were you about to hit? How bad do you need the money from a freeroll? to me all of these matter since i don't have a large bank roll. and sometimes you have to follow your gut. did you believe you had him beat. I don't like playing loose aggressive players because for me it's hard to put them on a hand. that's my weekness.

HSM

HSM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd definitely bet the flop and the turn. Bottom two pair is hand that can very easily be outdrawn.

As played I would fold to the all-in.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have two pair in a freeroll, its a snapcall. And don't bet the flop, I much prefer check/calling, and then either donking or check/raising the turn. The flop texture is so dry, and it pretty much whiffs your opponent's hand range.

W

Wilko89911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have re-raised on the flop and turn, bottom 2 pair isn't all that strong. Presuming he has a Queen he has 6 outs to catch on the turn and 9 to catch on the river. If he is going to hit you want to make him pay for it, this will work out profitable in the long run. The way you played it you were simple letting him catch up and take control the pot; and it resulted in a tough decision.

X

Xyphon

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great responses guys...

Let's say I made the donk call of calling the guy. He had control of the pot the entire time with pocket 4's. Nothing I placed this guy on. Live and learn I guess. I've been playing heavy the past month in freerolls and I make it just outside the bubble anymore...quit calling these all ins and I may be able to add to my bankroll.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have two pair in a freeroll, its a snapcall. And don't bet the flop, I much prefer check/calling, and then either donking or check/raising the turn. The flop texture is so dry, and it pretty much whiffs your opponent's hand range.

And what if it was NOT a freeroll ??? Still a snapcall in a buy-in MTT ??

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And what if it was NOT a freeroll ??? Still a snapcall in a buy-in MTT ??
Depends on the buy-in & how deep stacks were, but for most tournament stack depths & most buy-in levels I'm certainly stacking bottom two.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great responses guys...
Let's say I made the donk call of calling the guy. He had control of the pot the entire time with pocket 4's. Nothing I placed this guy on. Live and learn I guess. I've been playing heavy the past month in freerolls and I make it just outside the bubble anymore...quit calling these all ins and I may be able to add to my bankroll.

...I check hoping he hit something and get some money into the pot....

I'd really like to know chipstacks here ... Checking doesn't get money into the pot, and if it does, it's not on your terms and you have position.

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you need to call here. There is a lot of dead money in the pot already, and if he had some spectacular hand, he would probably have made a smaller bet that you would be more likely to call.

I think so, but if i dont know about your stack i dont know what would i do

M

mvelas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont play that passive, u can be outdrawn... dont blame internet poker for suckin u out, u should reraise on the flop and maybe go all in on turn... if u get the river like that i would fold.

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C/R flop, bet turn and this case, fold river. U cant slowplay bottom 2 pair.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd really like to know chipstacks here ... Checking doesn't get money into the pot, and if it does, it's not on your terms and you DON"T have position.

FMP

I am kind of surprised that there are a lot suggestions here without knowing stack sizes.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP is getting the advice he 'asked for' by posting incomplete information.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(Let me say, though he was chip lead he had been playing very loose and bullying pots for the past hour)

What would you do?

Exactly the way the chip leader should play... probably a correlation there, somewhere; just an observation, so don't take it personally.

What would I do? I will stay away from commenting on the hand because crucial information is missing.. but when I am in this kind of situation with (a villain with a bigger stack in position; and a big blind special) I try to get a look at where I am at:

Preflop Cons:
Viillain didn't bully the pot, he limped
Villain has position
Villain has a bigger stack

Preflop Pros
There are none, except I got what I paid for, a flop.

Postflop Cons
I flopped bottom 2 pair, I am WA/WB
Villain has position
Villain has a bigger stack

Postflop Pros
I flopped bottom 2 pair, I am WA/WB

My job out of position is to maintain pot control. How I do that doesn't matter ... what matters is that villain has more ammo and position. Cards don't really matter to him and if I check, he's going to bet.

After that, it comes down to chipstacks.

T

THGE

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to call him. He possible has a pair of QQ. Nothing more.
This is a freeroll, you can to risk more times.

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have gone all in earlier, but if he has been bullying pots like this, 2 pair like that is not bad. Definitely call. I think you won the hand. It is great that you kept tabs on some of the prior hands he played. But yeah, definitely call.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have called. People in freerolls overvalue top pair, especially queens. I would have put him in Q8 or something like that. Pocket 4's. wow. that one got me.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could fold here and not be too crippled. But if you want to go for the win I would instant snap call. The big stack could be slow playing an overpair. Or TPTK. No matter what you have, you have to make a move somewhere and 2 pair in this spot couldn't be better.

L

luv_2_play024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could fold here and not be too crippled. But if you want to go for the win I would instant snap call. The big stack could be slow playing an overpair. Or TPTK. No matter what you have, you have to make a move somewhere and 2 pair in this spot couldn't be better.
Thats probably the best way to think in these situations, but more important is to know how did that player got all that chips, to read his cards. Many of them play in patterns and U just need to realise them by that point of tournament.

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
based on your info on him bullying the table a loose caller i think he just wants to steal the pot hoping you dont have anything worth calling for your tournament life so i would diffinity call at your position he limp so you couldnt really put him on pockets he could have rivered a two pair but i dont think he would go all in i think he would pot bet for a call to make money from his hand so i would call