Bad spot to risk tourney life?

T

thirteenlisk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a bodog NL tournament this morning. The pay structure was 5th and higher, and there were 10 players spread across two tables.

Blinds were 150/300. Average chip stack was about 15,000. My chip stack was about 5500.

I was dealt Kh Qh on the button. 1 person CO calls the blind, I raise to 600, BB calls and so does CO. Both people have me covered.

Flop is Jh Ac 9h.

BB checks.
CO bets 600.
Hero ???

As far as how I played, I think it was a mistake to raise PF. I'm thinking that I should have called or pushed right then. What do you guys think?

E

edgroo25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I Would of pushed... just my 2 sents... specialy short stack.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as how I played, I think it was a mistake to min-raise PF behind one limper. I'm thinking that I should have called or pushed right then.
FYP but otherwise, yes. ^^^

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say push here. You are most likely to take the pot down right here and increase your stack by over 1/3, if you get called you have a butt load of outs, 9 to the nut flush and 4 to the straight, 13 total. Either way I think you are making +Ev by pushing here.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have a butt load of outs, 9 to the nut flush and 4 to the straight, 13 total. Either way I think you are making +Ev by pushing here.

9 to the second-nut flush (unless Ah comes on the board) and 3 more to the straight (don't count Th twice) for 12 outs total, which is roughly 45% to make it on either the turn or river.

I agree that it's pretty much push or fold here though, and I tend to lean towards the push as well. The money bubble is still a fair way away, we're short handed so blinds will be hitting you often, and we'll need some more chips soon if we're going to cash.

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9 to the second-nut flush (unless Ah comes on the board) and 3 more to the straight (don't count Th twice) for 12 outs total, which is roughly 45% to make it on either the turn or river.

My bads, looked too quickly at the Ac. Counting the Th twice, well that's just me being dupid :rolleyes:.

F

fellowswheel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have called pf, then once basically you had missed, though u had a gut shot, I would have folded, with bb only 300 and u having 5500, you have enough time to possibly get a better hand to make a potentially final stand with.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ He hasnt just got a gutshot, he has royal flush draw. That is a weak flop bet so i imagine a push will take down the pot, if not, we are just less than 50% to win anyway, i push here.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind an all-in or a 4x raise here. It's right on the borderline (~20BB and >10 M). With the 4x raise, I intend to fold to a reraise preflop. After the flop, I'd continuation bet all-in versus a check on the top 75% of unimproved flops, check/fold on the bottom 25%, or bet/call all-in if I hit top pair, an open ender, or a flush draw.

As played, I think an all-in gets KK, QQ, TT, 88-, Jx, 9x, KQ, and maybe even ace rag to fold, so I'd go all-in.

T

thirteenlisk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input. At this point, I push all in. BB folds and CO calls. He shows 99.

The turn was the Tc, giving me the straight. Of course, the Ah comes on the river, he beats my flush with 9s full of aces.

I was pretty upset at the loss, but aside from the min-raise PF, I think all in was the right move. I don't know if I could have scared off CO by going all in PF. At this low level of play (was a $5 buy-in I believe) it's pretty hard to put somebody on a hand because of the huge range everybody has. I'm noticing that deep in the tourney you don't get to see many flops. It could have been AJo or it could have been KK, it's hard to tell with so many people pushing. Anyway, I'm still trying to get some more experience playing in some big MTTs, so all of the analysis is appreciated :)

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id Push U Got Tons Of Outs. U Might Even Get Really Lucky And Them Be On A Smaller Flush Draw Or With Something Like Jack 10 Or Queen 10. But id diff push ur lower stacked. Might Not Get a Better Chance % wise to Double

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ Post count whore :smile: last 3 analysis threads ive looked at have had you posting 10 words max. You need to backup your suggestions with reason why for them to be taken into account