Bad play on my part in this hand?

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok... the following hand took place at PokerNordica - freeroll hosted by a popular online radio show focused on poker. The hand history I was able to get from PokerNordica doesn't give me stack sizes, but as I recall I had about 6K and Player 1 had about 3.5K. This is 45 hands into the tourney with a field of around 500 folks I think. Player1 had just come to our table 2 hand prior to this one.

I won the hand, and then the player who lost the most started giving me crap (see below hand play.

Personally, I think she's lucky I didn't just bust her entirely (was thinking about the possible Kings full and had no idea about her play since she was new to the table).

I've replaced all the player names but mine (I'm ChemKDS63 on PokerNordica because someone got my normal nic before I joined).

Am I just going bonkers or does she have a point?

Thanks for any feedback...

================
XXXXXX Freeroll, Hand 45

Player1 Posts SB 50.00
Player2 Posts BB 100.00
Player3 Folds
Player4 Folds
ChemKDS63 Calls 100.00 [5s 5h]
Player6 Calls 100.00
Player7 Folds
Player8 Calls 100.00
Player9 Folds
Button Folds
Player1(SB) Calls 50.00
Player2(BB) Checks

Flop: 4d Ah Kc

Player1 Checks
Player2 Bets 100.00
ChemKDS63 Calls 100.00
Player6 Calls 100.00
Player8 Folds
Player1 Calls 100.00

Turn: 4d Ah Kc Kh

Player1 Checks
Player2 Checks
ChemKDS63 Checks
Player6 Checks

River: 4d Ah Kc Kh 5c

Player1 Bets 400.00
Player2 Folds
ChemKDS63 Raised to 800.00
Player6 Folds
Player1 Calls 400.00
ChemKDS63 Shows [5s 5h] and has a Full House, Fives over Kings
Saralynelle3 Shows [2h 3d] and has a straight, Ace through Five
ChemKDS63 Won 2500.00 from pot 1 with Full House - Fives over Kings

Player1: that was so sad
Player1: on so many levels chem
Player1: *sighs*
ChemKDS63: because you had nothing from square one?
Player1: you had nothing until the river
Player1: so you aren't one to really talk either.
Player1: but sure thanks for playing
ChemKDS63: i had you the entire way
Player1: you did not
ChemKDS63: u had 2-3 for christ's sake
Player1: but believe as you will
button: no i think she had you (KDS note - button was trying to hit on Player 1)
ChemKDS63: she had 2-3 ... i'm looking at the hand history now
button: :D
ChemKDS63: i had 55 and hit the boat on the river
button: i know just teasing you
Player1: you had nothing but kings and fives..the five that hit on the river gave you the boat
Player1: that was my undoing since I did catch the straight
button: no he had it
ChemKDS63: and you had nothing the entire way until you hit the gut shot on the river
Player1: you got lucky and I did too..your luck was better than mine.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
XXXXXX Freeroll, Hand 45

Player1 Posts SB 50.00
Player2 Posts BB 100.00
Player3 Folds
Player4 Folds
ChemKDS63 Calls 100.00 [5s 5h] Deep stacked, the limp is fine with a small PP
Player6 Calls 100.00
Player7 Folds
Player8 Calls 100.00
Player9 Folds
Button Folds
Player1(SB) Calls 50.00
Player2(BB) Checks

Flop: 4d Ah Kc

Player1 Checks
Player2 Bets 100.00
ChemKDS63 Calls 100.00 The call here is fine if you were ready to let the hand go in the case of a raise behind you. The min Bet is not a particular sign of strength but that can be debated.
Player6 Calls 100.00
Player8 Folds
Player1 Calls 100.00

Turn: 4d Ah Kc Kh

Player1 Checks
Player2 Checks
ChemKDS63 Checks
Player6 Checks

River: 4d Ah Kc Kh 5c

Player1 Bets 400.00
Player2 Folds
ChemKDS63 Raised to 800.00 I would have raised bigger here, possibly even shoving, I don't if she folds as she will wonder if I was bluffing. In this case she would have called you anyway but you didn't know that.
Player6 Folds
Player1 Calls 400.00
ChemKDS63 Shows [5s 5h] and has a Full House, Fives over Kings
Saralynelle3 Shows [2h 3d] and has a straight, Ace through Five
ChemKDS63 Won 2500.00 from pot 1 with Full House - Fives over Kings

notes in Blue, you played it fine I think. She was NEVER ahead in the hand. It sounds like she is tilting.

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with how you played the flop and river...limping in utg isn't good poker. Raise or fold. I say raise to 3x bb. WHY DO PEOPLE MIN RAISE? DO NOT DO IT, pump it up to a pot sized raise.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with how you played the flop and river...limping in utg isn't good poker. Raise or fold. I say raise to 3x bb. WHY DO PEOPLE MIN RAISE? DO NOT DO IT, pump it up to a pot sized raise.

The OP wasn't UTG, he was UTG+2. Also Limping Small PP is a very legitimate strategy especially when the players are deep stacked as they are in this case M over 20.

I agree the Min raise was horrible.

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The OP wasn't UTG, he was UTG+2. Also Limping Small PP is a very legitimate strategy especially when the players are deep stacked as they are in this case M over 20.

I agree the Min raise was horrible.
Oops, no difference though. I disagree with open limping on any occasion. EVER. It worked for him this time, but lets say the bb or sb makes a straight on the turn with one of your 2 cards? this could have been prevented by raising. I have seen this happen/done this to people multiple times. A preventable cooler IMO.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^ what happens when he makes quads when you turn the full house? You can't always play afraid of monsters under the bed. Of course you have to be aware of the hands that can be made to beat you that is a part of poker but you are really losing a lot of value if you never limp with small pp's or suited connnecters. The only Never, or always in poker is to not ever use always or never, there is a time and place for anything - IMO

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp with them, I just do not open limp with them. Or open limp with anything unless im at a lag table with a big hand.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with small pp's at this stage of an MTT is ideal...I don't know why you are ruling out this play all together.

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no objections to limping with small pp's, I have a problem with opening the pot with a limp. I usu. fold pp's 77 and lower in early position in an unopened pot.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the table is playing passively why not? Some one can raise behind whether you limped in first or not.

A

Arielstorm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think limping there is the right play, I do not think you did anything wrong, and I would have played it about the same. The only thing I would have worried about would be the possibility of her having kings.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think limping there is the right play, I do not think you did anything wrong, and I would have played it about the same. The only thing I would have worried about would be the possibility of her having kings.

I don't think Kings would have played the hand this way. You did just fine in this hand and she was just mad that her "made" hand got beat. She was already counting your chips.

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the limp preflop. I do not like getting too many chips invested with low pocket pairs. keep the pot small and hope to hit your five on the flop. I like the call on the flop, because player one could just be betting to get u out of the hand. Nice full house on the river hope u knocked that donkey out later

As a matter of fact, it was 2 hands later - I had AQ suited and she had a low pp. I hit AQ7 on the flop, went all in, she called, and that was that!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands