Bad play?

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got moved to this table so I don't have a read on any of the players. 72 players left out of approx. 1200. My preflop bet was to try to buy the pot, if not, it's not a bad hand. Actually thought I had the best hand after he checked. Was this my bad or did I get out played?

pokerstars Game #4736377623: Tournament #23515172, $1.00+$0.10 Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2006/04/25 - 00:45:04 (ET)
Table '23515172 18' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: Jeff3232 (30681 in chips)
Seat 3: The Duds (49638 in chips)
Seat 4: ktbugg (14463 in chips)
Seat 5: Alon Ipser (10672 in chips)
Seat 6: bsd223 (6150 in chips)
Seat 7: eNZo sKYe (23134 in chips)
Seat 8: COBOTCH (13630 in chips)
Seat 9: 12 Square (19130 in chips)
Jeff3232: posts the ante 50
The Duds: posts the ante 50
ktbugg: posts the ante 50
Alon Ipser: posts the ante 50
bsd223: posts the ante 50
eNZo sKYe: posts the ante 50
COBOTCH: posts the ante 50
12 Square: posts the ante 50
bsd223: posts small blind 400
eNZo sKYe: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Alon Ipser [Qh Jh]
COBOTCH: folds
12 Square: folds
Jeff3232: folds
The Duds: raises 800 to 1600
ktbugg: folds
Alon Ipser: raises 2400 to 4000
bsd223: folds
eNZo sKYe: folds
The Duds: calls 2400
*** FLOP *** [4s Js Kc]
The Duds: checks
Alon Ipser: bets 6622 and is all-in
The Duds: calls 6622
*** TURN *** [4s Js Kc] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [4s Js Kc 6c] [3d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
The Duds: shows [Ts Kh] (a pair of Kings)
Alon Ipser: shows [Qh Jh] (a pair of Jacks)
The Duds collected 22844 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 22844 | Rake 0
Board [4s Js Kc 6c 3d]
Seat 2: Jeff3232 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: The Duds showed [Ts Kh] and won (22844) with a pair of Kings
Seat 4: ktbugg folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Alon Ipser (button) showed [Qh Jh] and lost with a pair of Jacks
Seat 6: bsd223 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: eNZo sKYe (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: COBOTCH folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: 12 Square folded before Flop (didn't bet)

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, it just shows how bad the play is in freerolls these days! I was reading the bets as I went through and I think its just freeroll play all round. I know you are a decent enough player, Alon, but if you really think about your play you will know you didnt play it well

The preflop play is not good. You re-raised a guy who raised in an early position. There are 2 problems with this

1. There is a chance a player with a better hand will go over the top of both of you. You are in a middle position and in a freeroll, these guys thing A5 is a premium hand, and it dominates both of you in this situation. If a player goes OTT, you have to fold and lose 1/4 of your stack

2. this guy is a short stack and there isnt much doubt his chips will be going in, and I dont see how QJos could be ahead. What cards did you think he had?

The play you made would not be out of place if it was close to the money in a decent buy in event, but in a freeroll these guys will play almost any two cards

Saying that, after you hit the flop with only 1 overcard, your chips have to go in.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-ins the move if you're going to bet - you would be in a very bad position with a caller and just 6,000 chips left, and your 4,000 bet doesn't worry chip leader who only needs to call with 2,400. After flop you did right, but the outcome was caused by the play. You cant call either to see a flop, as you're committing to high a portion of your chips in early position where there is a great possibility of a raise, so all in (to get him to fold an pick up the pot uncontested) or fold (probably preferred option bearing in mind strength of hand, position, and previous raise by chip leader).

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well PF i think if you got a good enough read on the player and knew he was just trying to steal, then in order to re-steal you have to push here, like rob said.
Your min-raise is definitely not going to push him out; we all know how these ($1 SnG) types of players play; they will call anything just to see a flop.
As for post flop, you were committed and it sounds like you felt you had a read on him, so a push isn't a bad play....just unlucky i guess.
My point is if you're going to make a big bluff like that you've got to raise alot more IMO

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im confused now, are we all reading the same page here?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only raise you can make is all in. i would call his raise (more likely fold preflop) and fold the flop.

you are a dog to any ace and any king, a dog to any pocket pair (most bad players raise 5 and up) and dominated by aa/kk/qq/jj

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the pf reraise without a read, especially against a big stack. Stealing with marginal hands works a lot better against shorter stacks.

Even if villain's preflop raising range is high, it's hard to imagine him holding many hands we're ahead of here.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The villian was going to call no matter what holding top pair while being the big stack. You could note him that he likes to raise with K,10 while being big stack mid/late position. Just in case you seem him again later on down the line.

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all. Knew what the responses were going to be. This seems to be a hole in my game. I get midway into the money with a below average stack and think I need to make a move so I end up doing something like the hand above.