Avoiding river ACE w/ KK

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok..I been playing KK defferent then when I started.
I used to see pocket Kings and right away ALLIN.
for quite sometime I been Just raising 5-6 times the BB.
when I see the flop/no ACE..I shove..if called an sucked out.
oh well..sure beats a caller preflop allin. and having an ACE hit the
turn and esp. the RIVER.
any thoughts?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plenty actually.

Do you raise 5-6 times the bb with JJ? AQ? AK? AA?

What do you do if the flop is monotone and you don't have the K of suit?

Why are you afraid to play postflop with a hand that's such an overwhelming favorite with no Ace on the flop?

Stick around and read the boards here. You'll learn much better ways to play KK (and a ton of other hands) than what you describe here.

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well..good point with the other hands AQ AK JJ..that stuff. BUT lets stick to KINGS PREFLOP!
I can only add this for you..when you play KK ALL IN preflop. and that donk calls with A2 A3...even AJ and hits the river ACE.
I only had ONE chance to win. my destiny is set. But when I push after a Q high flop..then im sure the A2 A3 and AJ's will have to find a better spot to call me. and the turn that would have been an ace or that river they don't see.. I WIN!

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want A rag to call, they are making a mistake by doing so. What is sounds like to me is that you can't lay down KK when they are obviously beat. You are releaving yourself of decision making by shoving.

Like WV said, read some posts and you will see there are much better ways to play than to just shove.

Edit: Strategies do change however based on if you are playing S&go's, MTT's or Cash games. That is also important.

Last edited:
H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kings and As are a hand you just can't get attached to...you say you shove if an A doesn't hit the flop...do you even consider folding if the flop comes something like J109 with a flush draw? People tend to love the big hands cause they have such high percentages to win preflop, but the fact is the flop can change all that. Even 5-6 BB early on might not get someone to fold J10s, and definitely not AK or KQ suited. And even preflop with Ks you can be beat. If you're on the button, the UTG raises, HiJack reraises, and Cutoff goes all in, you have to realize that one of them has As.

T

teksmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get the pot up pre-flop but be ready to lay it down if a A or draw that might have hit your opponents hand. By rasing pre-flop you should get the trash hands out of there but not always. I lost a big hand today with kings. I rasied 4BB preflop and had a guy call with 72. I made the nut flush but he hit a full house. I just have to tell myself that if we plaed that hand over several times I'd be way ahead.

D

dewolfe9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have KK in early position, i want to make the raise so big that any weak aces will probably fold. I might get called by someone late position holding a hand like AQ, KQ suit or something. If I see a flop with no Ace in it, I will keep pushing hard. But if i have raised and the flop shows an Ace, what next? Nothing but fold.(if he bets it hard) And this is something many find hard, but as we all know an ace is better than a king. THis is the main problem I find with Kings, they are so easily beaten with an ace on the flop :/

C

chadherczeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think all in preflop with any hand is just playing bingo and if you want to play bingo go to pogo.com or something. I think you should play it depending on the table. If you are at a tight table then you might want to slow play, but if you are at an uber loos, uber aggressive table then fire fire fire, and hope that an A doesn't rear it's ugly head, which will only happen about 1in3 times if ran to the river. I think you should read a poker book that will tell you that aggression is key, and pushing on the flop isn't aggression, it's dumb, only a hand that beats you will call you and most A rag hands won't call if they miss.

vincemcnabb

vincemcnabb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hah. Usually like in a 9 man sng with pocket kings I'll just do a 3x or 4x the bb raise, then make sure there's no ace on the flop then bet it hard (unless the board is a really nice drawing board). In a mtt don't put a giant investment in AA or KK, because the community could sometimes screw you over

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
huh?

You want A rag to call, they are making a mistake by doing so. What is sounds like to me is that you can't lay down KK when they are obviously beat. You are releaving yourself of decision making by shoving.

Like WV said, read some posts and you will see there are much better ways to play than to just shove.

Edit: Strategies do change however based on if you are playing S&go's, MTT's or Cash games. That is also important.

sounds to me like you didnt read what I have written or don't understand.
IM RAISING 5-6 TIMES BB. so ACE RAG DOESN"T CALL.
BY GOING ALL IN PREFLOP YOU AVOID THE RIVER ACE!

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK people..understand what the title is.. AVOIDING THE RIVER ACE.
is not avoiding KQ flopping the STRAIGHT or 67 suited flopping a FLUSH..its AVOIDING THE RIVER ACE!!!
This makes me wonder if any of you even read the TITLE!!!!

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BY GOING ALL IN PREFLOP YOU AVOID THE RIVER ACE!

No you don't you just ensure you lose all your chips when you called by an Ace and the Turn or River Ace hits, which is what people will do.

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So tell me what you , CHECK? you've already made it 5-6 times BB..you telling me now that what? YOUR FOLDING KK when the flop is Q high?
You might call off your chips with A 10. maybe even A6..LOL

it ensures getting your opponents chips in with only 2 cards to come.
and it also gives you 2 chances to win the hand..when moving in preflop...YOU HAVE ONE CHANCE!
shove the flop..they they might fold..giving you 2 chances to win.

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not asking how to play KK preflop..Im telling you how to WIN with it.
Try it..you'll be successful.
Your strategy may work fine for freerolls, but there is a totally different way to play them in a REAL cash setting, SnGs and MTTs.
TBH, the all-in on the flop with KK when there is no ace on the flop is just not too smart, you just not getting enough value for your kings.

N

nutzzcase

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u r a beginner u r playing the right strategy but after a while when u improve your game and your reads ,u need to start playing small ball ,raising 2.5-3 times the bb and making more decisions on the flop .

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really not sure why you posted this. You seem to not respect other people's answers or even take their advice into consideration. I would go so far as to say some of the people who have posted here are much more experienced than you are and are trying to help you play better.

You don't NEED to avoid the river ace, you just need to be able to back out when the ace falls.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to avoid the river Ace is to just fold preflop.

Problem solved.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol @ philthy.

'tis a perfect solution. It's the same reason I never get sucked out on, I only ever play the worst hand. :D