average tourny hand

M

mjd5228

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10-4 off.. decide to play.. family pot, 4 to the flop...
im first to act i flop a pair of 10s and bet 100.. my friend next to me slowly calls 100 with a gutshot straight draw with 2 players to act behing him.. nails his gutshot on the turn which gives me 2 pair.. all in..... and i hate him now..hah what u think??:mad:

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont play 10-4. :banghead:

Done

Cant do much else without any details on the hands. Except unless you were shortstacked was their any need to go all in

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if he was first to act on the flop, then he was the SB. UTG and button limped. I would call here to see a cheap flop. If its a monster, you'll get paid for a hidden hand.

Who went all in first? You or him? No way you could have put him on a gutshot after that flop, right? I would've bet out my 2 pair as well. Then fold if his all in raise was too big to call with a straight showing.

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10-4 off.. decide to play.. family pot, 4 to the flop...
im first to act i flop a pair of 10s and bet 100.. my friend next to me slowly calls 100 with a gutshot straight draw with 2 players to act behing him.. nails his gutshot on the turn which gives me 2 pair.. all in..... and i hate him now..hah what u think??:mad:

I hate it when you get just about the only hand you'd call with, which at the same time give your opponent the better hand. Very unlucky in these situations.

Aside from that, I'm going to have to agree with the other guy, you don't play hands like T4 unless you're highly experienced player.

You might have seen some pros play it on television, but it's a false representation for two reasons:
1. They have years of experience behind them usually, they know when their opponent hits a straight. When you have that kind of experience, you can start playing those hands.
2. They rarely play those hands. Televised poker is very selective on what it shows, and it only shows exciting hands. When you see a pro play a hand like T4, it's very likely it's 1 out of 50 hands he's played.

I'm guessing if you had AK and hit a K, you'd be betting more aggressively. (You should be anyway.)

You're welcome to ignore my advice if you want, I'm just trying to help you earn more money. When I started playing for real money, I lost more money playing ragged hands from BB than any other hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands