AT close to the bubble

C

coljung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely play the 0.10 cents on full tilt because i think is a waste of time and because u have to get through 3000 people to get some decent money, besides i play much better sngs and smaller tourneys.

I decided to give it a try today and ended up lasting a lot longer than i thought.

The structure pays the top 153.

We were very close to the bubble, around 157 left, i had around 20000 chips with the average being around 40000.

Action folded to me on the button , i had A10 os. SB was shortstacked with around 8000 chips, and the BB had over 55000 chips but was playing super tight, i had seen him play no more than 2-3 hands in the last half hour. Blinds were 800/1600.

Given the short stack and the tight bb i decided to go all in.

Fu!@$!$ng BB shows AQ...... ended up 155, 2 from the money....

Badly played ? I would not have minded a call from the SB, and seeing as the BB had played ver few hands in the last half hour i assumed i had done the right move.

Just bad luck or a little foolish on my part ?

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
foolish play imo. A decent sized raise does the same thing and when supe tight BB calls or comes over the top you can slow down.

don't know what the blinds were but a 5x BB raise will tell you what you need to know.

C

coljung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blinds were 800/1600.

and yes it was foolish....

at least it was a $1 otherwise i would have been really pissed....although it took me 3 hours to get there..

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are on the bubble with 2 to act. You have 1 player covered, the other has you covered. You want to make the money, and then move up payout levels from there. I either smooth call from here or fold with a deeper chip stack left to act. If you just call, the BB will probably shove all in to steal pot knowing he has you both covered. So probably best action is to fold.

Now if you had SB and BB covered, then an allin shove would be appropriate. They would fold to hit the money, or if they called and you lost you would still be in another hand.

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was an easy fold so close to the bubble.
With half the average stack, on the bubbleubble, I will often sit out for 5 min . walk away from the computer. take a break.

come back and battle on now that you are ITM

T

turtlerox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from 9 out of 10 times i would have just raised,maybe u were a little unlucky but i think thats the way u felt at the moment and i am a guy who plays also by his senses gl!

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the blinds 800/1600 i think you shouldnt have pushed allin, IMO you should have raised to 3500 and called if the short stack pushed and that way you can fold to any raise by the BB

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly the greater EV play is to make a smallish raise (~2.5x BB), snapcall if the shortie pushes, snapfold if the tight BB pushes. easy game

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Foolish play on your part. Yes, I can see a raise and hopefully take the blinds, but there is simply no reason to go all in. At 20000 chips you should have been in the money.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly the greater EV play is to make a smallish raise (~2.5x BB), snapcall if the shortie pushes, snapfold if the tight BB pushes. easy game

Exactly everything you need is written here ^^^, a raise to 5000 then a fold to a bb re raise leaves you with plenty of chips.

idlehands80

idlehands80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone else said i think you didnt count on BB. It seems to me you got distracted by being close to being in the money. Next time slow down and look at all your options.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was an easy fold so close to the bubble.
With half the average stack, on the bubbleubble, I will often sit out for 5 min . walk away from the computer. take a break.

Have you won many tournaments? Have you won ANY tournaments?

It's the easiest raise ever - BB playing ultra tight, SB who is clinging on to the bubble, a big hand, and 2,400 chips in the middle. You don't need a decent hand at all, you've got a great situation here.

It's been said before, raise to 4K, call the small stack if he pushes, and reevaluate if BB gives action. Folding pre-flop is lunacy though (as is sitting out), and isn't successful MTT practice.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is how I'd have played it also. Foolish? maybe, but it was an overly risky play for sure.

baffaert

baffaert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think A10 os isn't a hand to play at all when this close to money.
A10 is easilly beaten and if you really must bet there's no need to go allin with it.

Goodluck next time

I

iriechief

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That 10 cent tourney is such a crap shoot, I can't blame you for pushing because the BB has to wake up with a hand, which unfortunately did, so the program wa s testing you and trying to eliminate players. Besides, Are you trying to win or just make $1 or 2. I say UNLUCKy