AQs in BB - Shortstack pushes UTG - Call?

shammalamma

shammalamma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in 2nd of 5 left in a 9-man sitngo. Had about 35 BB's left, in the BB position with AQc - Shortstack was UTG and raises all in with 8bb's, everyone else folds... I make the call putting him on a small pocket pair or ace rag.. correct call??

The end result says no, but what's your opinion?:confused:

Stacks:

* SB with 2045
* BB with 3535
* UTG with 875
* MP with 4395
* BTN with 2650

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 50/100
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to BB:A♣ Q♣
* * Sklansky group 2
Preflop:
* * UTG raises 775 to 875 [ all-in ]
* * 3 players fold.
Hero calls [775]
* * Total folds this street: 3
* * Potsize: 1800
Flop: 10♦ Q♠ 6♥
Turn: 9♥
River: 7♠
Results:
* * Hero shows a pair of Queens: A♣ Q♣
* * UTG shows two pair, Queens and Tens: Q♦ 10♣
* * UTG collected 1800 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just did the worst thing a poker player can do: Be result oriented.
U got your money in as a massive favorit and should be happy about it,sure you lost the hand but if suckoouts didnt happen the bad players whould never play poker and you whould be forced to play pros and sharks all day.
In this scenerio you should.
1)Insta call.
2)Fist pump
3)Punch computer :)

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 73.449% 72.69% 00.76% 1244664 13005.50 { AcQc }
Hand 1: 26.551% 25.79% 00.76% 441629 13005.50 { QdTc }

JupeZ

JupeZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is truly the right call to do. Just bad luck there. With stacks like that it'd not even bad move to call with worse hands but if ud have like under 2k in chips to call bet like 800 id lay down hands like AT AJ easily. Gl in future plays and i hope ur cards will hold next time. :)

norbs286

norbs286

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would do the exact same thing! AQs is a rather strong hand especially when playing against only one player. In this particular hand you even had the math in your favor however, lady luck against you - I presume it did not hurt you too much and that you ended up winning the game? :)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call. UTG is pushing a wide range, probably something like any pair, any two broadway, any Ace-rag and some mid-high suited connectors. You're a clear favourite against his range and you're not crippled if you lose, standard call.

Don't post the results next time. :)

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When a ss pushes while you're hold a strong ace, then there is no question but to call in that spot 100% of the time.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your call was correct so don't worry about results. Instead, worry about making good decisions.

You said you put your opponent on a small pair or ace-rag. Why? Why couldn't he have had AA or KK?

Don't always try to put people on a specific hand, put them on a range of hands.

shammalamma

shammalamma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the encouragement, all. Ive been trying to patch up the holes in my game lately.

I ended up taking 2nd in the SnG, at least.

I put him on those hands because that was just my guess. It made sense to call. And yes, it was certainly possible for him to have AA, KK, or AK, but in my mind, not probable. Hell, he could've been pushing with 2/7 or 3/8... but also not probable.

Next time I'll wait to post the results ;-)

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup!

Sure it was the 'right thing to do'! UTG pushed, probably because he was on tilt and pushing like that on a wing and a prayer---either just praying to catch, 'cuz he sure didn't have a power hand to push with--OR--he was just so pissed he wanted to leave! Alls that happened to you was a lil' bad luck--You actually had the all-in hand to start with!;) And why isn't 8-3 an "All-in" hand!? I got beat by a dude this morning in a heads up who pushed all in w/7-8! And I was hlding A-10---don't he catch the 7 onna riv to beat my A high?? Donks do it alla time!

Last edited: